Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Rock Rey kit suggestions for motor/esc servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #1

Default Rock Rey kit suggestions for motor/esc servo

Hi,
Im new to the forums and new to crawling, I have a couple scts and a buggy but would like to get into crawling. I am going to pick up a Rock Rey kit and am looking for suggestions on a motor/esc combo(sensored) and a servo. I want to be able to crawl but also go fast so I can race in rock races. I want something of quality, I was considering the mamba x and maybe the savox sw-1210sg. I am open to anything though. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikeh0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2018, 06:12 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rock Rey kit suggestions for motor/esc servo

I don't have any particular brands to push, but there are two things to keep in mind for the Rock Rey:

1. Make sure you get a motor with a 5mm shaft (not the smaller 3mm).

2. Figure out if you'll be using a 2S or 3S battery before picking the motor KV. For example if you're using a 2S battery, a 3600 KV or 3800 KV motor is probably the sweet spot. A 3S battery may need a lower KV motor to avoid heat issues because the Rock Rey can't be geared down much to compensate.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:52 AM   #3

That's great advice from TooOldForThis.

I don't have a Rock Rey (yet), but I did just build a Yeti kit, so my experience may be relevant. For that truck I went with a Mamba X ESC, and a Hobbystar Pro4 SCT sensored 550 motor. I chose 3000kv, and geared it up a tad. I'm very happy with the performance on 3S. Low speed startup is not quite as good as what I'm getting in my Bomber with the Castle Slate motor, but it's not a fair comparison because I've got that truck geared very differently. If they were geared the same, I think the startup would be about the same. It definitely starts up slowly enough and smooth enough for the type of crawling that this truck would be able to tackle.

I'm very happy with the motor, and in fact, I'm considering getting the 3500kv version for my Bomber.

The ESC is fantastic. I use the same ESC in my Bomber also. The aux wire functionality makes this the only ESC I would consider for a vehicle that's going to be a dual-purpose type of rig. I've got the Yeti configured so that the dial on my Radiolink controller adjusts the drag brake from 100% down to 10%. Below 10%, it switches over to forward/brake/reverse, which is much better for higher speed trailing & bashing. The fantastic motor control and excellent controllability via Castle Link (especially the throttle curve settings) make this ESC a no-brainer for me.

For a servo, I went with the Promodeler 470 because I intend to eliminate the servo saver in the near future, and wanted something that I knew could take the punishment.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #4

Mamba X should be the perfect ESC. For motors I'd contact Team Brood Racing and Holmes Hobbies and let them know what you're trying to do with your Rock Rey and they should be able to help you. Tekin also makes really nice motors.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
I don't have any particular brands to push, but there are two things to keep in mind for the Rock Rey:

1. Make sure you get a motor with a 5mm shaft (not the smaller 3mm).

2. Figure out if you'll be using a 2S or 3S battery before picking the motor KV. For example if you're using a 2S battery, a 3600 KV or 3800 KV motor is probably the sweet spot. A 3S battery may need a lower KV motor to avoid heat issues because the Rock Rey can't be geared down much to compensate.

Thanks TooOldforthis! I didn’t even think about what battery I’ll be running most of the time. I’ve got both 2s and 3S batteries but I’ll probably run it on 2s, I’ve found that I break less thing on my scts when on 2s lol. Would thy KV motor work well for slower crawling sections of a course?

Old 10-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
That's great advice from TooOldForThis.

I don't have a Rock Rey (yet), but I did just build a Yeti kit, so my experience may be relevant. For that truck I went with a Mamba X ESC, and a Hobbystar Pro4 SCT sensored 550 motor. I chose 3000kv, and geared it up a tad. I'm very happy with the performance on 3S. Low speed startup is not quite as good as what I'm getting in my Bomber with the Castle Slate motor, but it's not a fair comparison because I've got that truck geared very differently. If they were geared the same, I think the startup would be about the same. It definitely starts up slowly enough and smooth enough for the type of crawling that this truck would be able to tackle.

I'm very happy with the motor, and in fact, I'm considering getting the 3500kv version for my Bomber.

The ESC is fantastic. I use the same ESC in my Bomber also. The aux wire functionality makes this the only ESC I would consider for a vehicle that's going to be a dual-purpose type of rig. I've got the Yeti configured so that the dial on my Radiolink controller adjusts the drag brake from 100% down to 10%. Below 10%, it switches over to forward/brake/reverse, which is much better for higher speed trailing & bashing. The fantastic motor control and excellent controllability via Castle Link (especially the throttle curve settings) make this ESC a no-brainer for me.

For a servo, I went with the Promodeler 470 because I intend to eliminate the servo saver in the near future, and wanted something that I knew could take the punishment.

Same thing sold me on the mamba x, I didn’t know it was hat customizable though! So if I got a 3000kv motor or maybe a 3500kv motor and left the stock gearing do you think it would be ok for crawling and high speed sections of the course?

Old 10-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #7

This might be a dumb question but would the Rock Rey be able to accept the 1:8 scale motors?

Old 10-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I use my RR mostly for crawling but here I what I put in it.

1. Mamba X monster (castle suggested the monster 1/8 version as it was a big overkill, the standard X would have been at its limit in the RR)
2. Team Brood Racing Vigor 550 Can 2600KV motor sensored. Motor was thin enough to mount in the car without modification of the motor plate.

I absolutely love the setup, it performs well for me.

Regards
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
I use my RR mostly for crawling but here I what I put in it.

1. Mamba X monster (castle suggested the monster 1/8 version as it was a big overkill, the standard X would have been at its limit in the RR)
2. Team Brood Racing Vigor 550 Can 2600KV motor sensored. Motor was thin enough to mount in the car without modification of the motor plate.

I absolutely love the setup, it performs well for me.

Regards

That sounds like great but I think I wanted to purchase something as a combo. Any suggestions ?

Old 10-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh0314 View Post
Same thing sold me on the mamba x, I didn’t know it was hat customizable though! So if I got a 3000kv motor or maybe a 3500kv motor and left the stock gearing do you think it would be ok for crawling and high speed sections of the course?

On 2S, I think you may be a bit disappointed in the top speed even with a 3500kv motor. Whether or not it will be enough for the high speed sections of your course, I have no idea. I don't race mine, and I'm not familiar with your course. I think 3000 or 3500kv on 3S will be perfectly adequate for almost any track. Even in a wide open area I'd probably be hard pressed to be able to hold full throttle for more than a couple seconds with my 3000kv setup.

Quote:
This might be a dumb question but would the Rock Rey be able to accept the 1:8 scale motors?

It can accept 1/8 scale motors as long as they aren't too long. There's only about 62 or 65mm of space between the motor plate and the battery tray. If you plan to run a sensored motor, you'll need to subtract a few millimeters for the connector bulk as well. I couldn't find much for sensored 1/8 scale motors that would fit adequately, which is why I ended up with a 36mm 550-sized can. My sensor cable is firmly planted up against the battery tray.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 10-30-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
On 2S, I think you may be a bit disappointed in the top speed even with a 3500kv motor. Whether or not it will be enough for the high speed sections of your course, I have no idea. I don't race mine, and I'm not familiar with your course. I think 3000 or 3500kv on 3S will be perfectly adequate for almost any track. Even in a wide open area I'd probably be hard pressed to be able to hold full throttle for more than a couple seconds with my 3000kv setup.

It can accept 1/8 scale motors as long as they aren't too long. There's only about 62 or 65mm of space between the motor plate and the battery tray. If you plan to run a sensored motor, you'll need to subtract a few millimeters for the connector bulk as well. I couldn't find much for sensored 1/8 scale motors that would fit adequately, which is why I ended up with a 36mm 550-sized can. My sensor cable is firmly planted up against the battery tray.

So would you say a 1:8 esc and 550 motor would be the ideal combo? Sorry if my terminology is off still kind of learning the hobby.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #12

I don't think a 1/8-specific ESC is really required. The truck is geared low enough that it's unlikely that it'll draw the kind of current that a 1/10 scale short course truck would draw. Because of its versatility, for me the Mamba X was the only ESC that I considered. The functionality from the aux-wire is a must-have for a dual purpose crawler/basher, and it's got more than enough current handling to survive in a Yeti.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #13

Quote:
That sounds like great but I think I wanted to purchase something as a combo. Any suggestions ?

Why are you set on purchasing a combo?
Old 10-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
I don't think a 1/8-specific ESC is really required. The truck is geared low enough that it's unlikely that it'll draw the kind of current that a 1/10 scale short course truck would draw. Because of its versatility, for me the Mamba X was the only ESC that I considered. The functionality from the aux-wire is a must-have for a dual purpose crawler/basher, and it's got more than enough current handling to survive in a Yeti.

So if I stick with 1/10 scale and run on 2s what do you think of this one? http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...bo-010-0161-01

Old 10-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Why are you set on purchasing a combo?

I am still very new to the hobby, I’m not sure what goes together and what doesn’t. I figured combos are sure to work together and they seem to be of better value because it’s bought as a combo?

Old 10-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #16

Quote:
I am still very new to the hobby, I’m not sure what goes together and what doesn’t. I figured combos are sure to work together and they seem to be of better value because it’s bought as a combo?

The Mamba X ESC and the motors being recommended will work together. You might be able to get cheaper combos, but they won't necessary be as good in terms of quality and performance.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #17

Quote:
The Mamba X ESC and the motors being recommended will work together. You might be able to get cheaper combos, but they won't necessary be as good in terms of quality and performance.

Ok sounds good, a lot of the 550 size motor have a 3.5mm shaft I believe rock Rey uses a 5mm would this be an issue?

Old 10-30-2018, 03:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Ok sounds good, a lot of the 550 size motor have a 3.5mm shaft I believe rock Rey uses a 5mm would this be an issue?

The shaft size is the motor not on the Rock Rey. Not sure why you'd need a 5mm shaft. You need to make sure the pinion gear has the correct inside diameter to fit on the motor.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #19

Quote:
The shaft size is the motor not on the Rock Rey. Not sure why you'd need a 5mm shaft. You need to make sure the pinion gear has the correct inside diameter to fit on the motor.

Ooic sorry I thought I read another members reply that stated I needed the 5mm for rock Rey. So the shaft size doesn’t have to match the car, the shaft size just determines what diameter pinion gear I get. Sorry for my lack of knowledge and thank you for your patience and guidance.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Ooic sorry I thought I read another members reply that stated I needed the 5mm for rock Rey. So the shaft size doesn’t have to match the car, the shaft size just determines what diameter pinion gear I get. Sorry for my lack of knowledge and thank you for your patience and guidance.

Correct. If the Rock Rey comes with a pinion it might be 5mm, but I don't think that's necessary. It's overkill IMO and you'll have a tougher time finding other pinion sizes. I know Holmes uses a 3mm shaft on his motors.

Rock Rey kit suggestions for motor/esc servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap brushless motor / ESC for Rock Rey MrBlank Electronics 16 08-01-2018 10:43 AM
Losi Rock Rey Kit to Baja Rey "Kit" Conversion Parts List daign Losi Rock Rey 1 06-28-2018 06:11 AM
Losi Rock Rey Kit to Baja Rey "KitConversion Parts List daign Losi Rock Rey 0 06-27-2018 07:49 PM
Axial Yeti kit vs Los Rock Rey kit Dawson4 General Crawlers 15 11-12-2017 01:53 PM
suggestions for motor and ESC for Score Trophy Truck kit please y2kmxz Axial Yeti 5 04-04-2017 07:44 PM