Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Rock Rey, axial bomber or Traxxas trx4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 02:15 AM   #1

Default Losi Rock Rey, axial bomber or Traxxas trx4

I was set on the Rock Rey but now I’m not sure. I want a crawler that can also race too, something decently fast and decent handling. Thank you for any suggestions and opinions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikeh0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #2

Default Re: Losi Rock Rey, axial bomber or Traxxas trx4

What's "decently fast" to you?

Bomber or Rock Rey would fit that bill. You'd have to go with the kits as the RTRs either won't be fast (Axial has junk, brushed electronics) or won't crawl well (Vaterra has a sensorless brushless motor).

A TRX-4 fits the description to a lesser degree since it's fast in terms of trail speeds, but not overall basher-like speeds IMO.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I don't know enough about the bomber to comment on it but I cross shopped the TRX4 and Rock Rey. I was looking for a versatile basher and the Rock Rey really seems to fit the bill. I spend hours watching YT videos and it's nothing but people crashing those things at full speed over and over again and coming away unscathed.

I also love how people seem to be able to just power up obstacles with brute force.
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:46 AM   #4

Do you guys think the ifs on the rock Rey will be able to handle the crawling?

Old 11-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Maybe you need this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIWg...layer_embedded
I would like to have TT, but Axial is finishing production and I'm afraid...
eclipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
RCC Addict

The trade-off, similar to the Yeti, is that you can go fast everywhere else but suffer through tight/technical crawler sections. A good sensored system will let you creep along but the large chassis will get stuck and the steering angle isn't as good as the solid axle rigs.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #7

So my original plan was to go with a rock Rey kit and sensored esc/motor. The only thing that worried me was the ifs for crawling. The Rock Rey kit seems like such a good value at $249 where as the bomber kit is $359.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh0314 View Post
So my original plan was to go with a rock Rey kit and sensored esc/motor. The only thing that worried me was the ifs for crawling. The Rock Rey kit seems like such a good value at $249 where as the bomber kit is $359.

That's what I ordered. (not here yet) But I'm not super concerned if it's not a great crawler, just wanted a fun basher!
furadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have a Bomber kit and a Rock Rey kit. Both are sensored brushless. I like them both, but they fill 2 different purposes for me. My bomber could crawl anywhere and was a hill climb king with the extra speed. My Rock Rey was strictly a fun basher....and its very good at that.

What do the people around you use out on the trail? If majority of the folks you play with have bashers...get the rock rey and enjoy. If the local group hits the rocks more or even rough trails, id get the bomber or TRX4.
Rock Rey is much bigger too. FYI
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul shabinguez View Post
I have a Bomber kit and a Rock Rey kit. Both are sensored brushless. I like them both, but they fill 2 different purposes for me. My bomber could crawl anywhere and was a hill climb king with the extra speed. My Rock Rey was strictly a fun basher....and its very good at that.

What do the people around you use out on the trail? If majority of the folks you play with have bashers...get the rock rey and enjoy. If the local group hits the rocks more or even rough trails, id get the bomber or TRX4.

Rock Rey is much bigger too. FYI

Hi Raul,
I’m just getting into it but I’m hearing it’s mostly crawling and a bit of open straights. I really like the rock rey but it’s sounding more like the bomber is better suited. What do you think?

Old 11-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh0314 View Post
Hi Raul,
I’m just getting into it but I’m hearing it’s mostly crawling and a bit of open straights. I really like the rock rey but it’s sounding more like the bomber is better suited. What do you think?

Just wondering but is there anyone else out crawling/bashing or just yourself? The easiest method would be to tag along with someone and drive a spare rig or their truck a bit just to see what the terrain is like. Without seeing where you plan to drive it's too hard to make any real judgement.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Just wondering but is there anyone else out crawling/bashing or just yourself? The easiest method would be to tag along with someone and drive a spare rig or their truck a bit just to see what the terrain is like. Without seeing where you plan to drive it's too hard to make any real judgement.

I know it’s a lot to ask out of one rig, I have a 4x4 slash and 2wd that I bash with but I don’t want to keep investing money in all the cars. I want to build one rig that I can keep upgrading that can hopefully serve a dual purpose of bashing and crawling

Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I mainly crawl and trial with my RR, check out my thread. I absolutely love it, granted it took me awhile to build it up to do crawling. The break over is often a problem due to the chassis but a bit of speed usually always corrects it, and if it doesn't my winch takes care of it. Due to its low COG and lower chassis it can pull some pretty steep angles.

Cat's Rock Rey

Regards
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #14

I have a Bomber and the TRX, both serve different purposes. For a while I have longed for Rock Rey as a fun basher and will eventually end up with one. In the mean time I am putting in a new brushless to help the Bomber get a little more speed.
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi Rock Rey, axial bomber or Traxxas trx4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti/Wraith/Bomber after market rear axle in a Rock Rey? Rumpelhardt Losi Rock Rey 1 06-22-2018 12:28 AM
Axial RR10 Bomber or Losi Rock Rey Poll? djmaincheese General Scale Talk 10 07-15-2017 03:17 AM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM