Notices

Thread: Jato Tries to Define Rock Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Jato Tries to Define Rock Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I was very happy to receive the new, aluminum bellcrank from Losi. Very good customer service as I've said before. Here you can see the bent part on the left versus the new one on the right.

New parts on the left and old assembly on the right.

During assembly of the replacement bellcrank I noticed one of the hats would not fit into the right side part of the bellcrank. What I did was to let my impatience get the best of me and against my better judgement I forced the hat into the bellcrank using a screw and nut. It went in easily that way so I thought the hat would free up. It did not. The hat is pressed into the bellcrank and it does not move. Because of this I couldn't tighten that side of the bellcrank down completely or it locked up. So I loosened that screw just enough to the point where it allows everything to move freely. It screws into a nylon lock nut so it should be OK. I have to say I'm very disappointed in the low quality of this Losi bellcrank. The first one bent like Integy Chinesium and this next one wasn't even made properly. Alas, I installed it because I wanted to get this beast back together.

SLW hubs suck for many reasons (as many as there are good reasons IMO) and the recess for the nut just didn't work for the Rock Rey. The axle and nut are much larger than typical 1/10th scale RCs so it just doesn't fit. That coupled with the fact that I hate black wheels, despite the Hutchinsons being so, so sexy, made me get new wheels for this build. SSD 2.2" Rock Racer wheels. I wasn't sure if I'd like the silver rather than raw aluminum finish, but in person they look great. I'm a fan!

The center/inner ring is Delrin which is an interesting choice all by itself and it also has tabs on in to which notches in the front half of the wheel must fit into. I'm curious as to why SSD chose to do this. I'm sure there's a reason.

They sure be sexy though, yo!

I also went with these wheels because of the open design. I thought they'd look nice and allow you to see the scale brake rotor and disc. I think it looks schmexy!

And here are some shots just because.

Sweet wheels and a nice pairing with the Rock Beasts! I’ve always had great luck with SSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #102

I appreciate the feedback guys. Please keep the quoting of images to a minimum. If not it clutters threads!
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #103
~THE SCALE SHOP~

paint the body already!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
paint the body already!
The kit came with a defective body. Holes in the body weren't even close to lining up with the standoffs on the cage. It looks liked FedEx delivered the new body today.

Oh and BTW in PA we have this thing called winter that you Texans don't know about. I can paint in my garage, but I have to fire up a heater first or the paint doesn't dry. The winter weather gives me another reason to procrastinate and push the painting off.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #105

One of the reasons I was waiting on buying a bell crank and steering setup for my Baja Rey is because I read a couple of places where people had bent the Losi part and switched to the Hot Racing part. Not sure if it's from poor design or a bad production run. The Hot Racing part has a solid arm rather than an arm with a channel machined out of it.

If I remember correctly, one dude wrote in an Amazon review that he had bent two Losi arms before switching to the Hot Racing version. I take Amazon (and most other reviews) with a grain of salt so I was waiting for more reliable information before puling the trigger on the part.

In any case my Baja Rey is now competing with the Axial Bomber kit I just started building for my limited hobby funds so it may be a while before the Baja Rey receives any more upgrades.
Achilles Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #106
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Fender View Post
One of the reasons I was waiting on buying a bell crank and steering setup for my Baja Rey is because I read a couple of places where people had bent the Losi part and switched to the Hot Racing part. Not sure if it's from poor design or a bad production run. The Hot Racing part has a solid arm rather than an arm with a channel machined out of it.

If I remember correctly, one dude wrote in an Amazon review that he had bent two Losi arms before switching to the Hot Racing version. I take Amazon (and most other reviews) with a grain of salt so I was waiting for more reliable information before puling the trigger on the part.

In any case my Baja Rey is now competing with the Axial Bomber kit I just started building for my limited hobby funds so it may be a while before the Baja Rey receives any more upgrades.
GPM now also has a steering setup and it is like HR's were there is no slot like Losi. Id be interested why Losi decided to machine the slot in. Adds a point of weakness not to mention more machining to complete. I haven't had trouble with my Losi setup just yet but I am really only trailing and crawling with the truck.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #107
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
The kit came with a defective body. Holes in the body weren't even close to lining up with the standoffs on the cage. It looks liked FedEx delivered the new body today.

Oh and BTW in PA we have this thing called winter that you Texans don't know about. I can paint in my garage, but I have to fire up a heater first or the paint doesn't dry. The winter weather gives me another reason to procrastinate and push the painting off.

whats a heater?

i was actually blow away by the precicion of the holes in my body. thats a hell of a feat. my hood ones where the only ones not dead on perfect, about 1/8" (or a hole width) off, but u put the screw in and it pulls it all in position.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:22 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
Would the T-Bone Delrin skid help keep the dirt out (assuming correct hole placement and subsequent installation)?

Thanks for sharing this detail about the servo mount - along with other threads, helped me appreciate the structural role played by the servo mount. So I have an aluminum one on the way too!
I bought the RTR about 17 pages ago, no offense. I've also made a multitude of upgrades, still, no offense meant. Great Truck, this ROCK REY, NO fun to change oil in diffs though, especially front. Who in the hell let this get by...

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Bumbeckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #109
RCC Addict

Very nice write ups Jato. Don’t forget to post up some nice rock crawling videos here. I would Love to see how this rig perform on crawling mode. Thank you
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I didn't receive a new body to replace the one where the holes aren't even close to lining up with the chassis so I sent them an email and asked. He admitted to forgetting about it, but put an order in for it right away.

So I'm not crazy. My body doesn't line up either just built it last week. I just sent Horizon an email earlier today.

Side note: What are you doing with those Hutchinsons?

Last edited by fr8cture; 03-16-2019 at 08:12 PM.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
So I'm not crazy. My body doesn't line up either just built it last week. I just sent Horizon an email earlier today.

Side note: What are you doing with those Hutchinsons?
They replaced my body without question. I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

They are sitting on my table all sad and lonely. I may sell them. Don't you have enough rare stuff? I'm not in a rush to sell them, but if you're serious shoot me an offer. Remember that they come with LURC scale hardware.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:41 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
They replaced my body without question. I'm sure they'll do the same for you.

They are sitting on my table all sad and lonely. I may sell them. Don't you have enough rare stuff? I'm not in a rush to sell them, but if you're serious shoot me an offer. Remember that they come with LURC scale hardware.
Well I have a yeti kit coming to keep the rock rey company and I don't have wheels.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #113

Nice thread to read through! Using a fair bit of the info in my own Rock Rey RTR build up. Oddly enough I busted a steering hub before the factory plastic horn, I was shocked lol.
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:55 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Did you ever really get to drive this? I like the idea of an overgrown twin hammers, but it kinda seems like a money pit full of design flaws that is a pain to work on. Or does it drive well enough to make up for the other shortcomings?

I think the misplaced body mount holes are becoming a standard feature on Horizon rigs. The ones in my last twin hammer kit were further off than yours. They were also poorly trimmed to top it off
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
crawler, losi, rey, rock, rock rey

Jato Tries to Define Rock Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Rock Rey/Baja Rey Third Member bearing fitment Achilles Fender General Crawlers 8 05-20-2021 03:34 PM
Losi Rock Rey Kit to Baja Rey "KitConversion Parts List daign Losi Rock Rey 0 06-27-2018 07:49 PM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM