Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: RR vs SC10 II or TRX-4 Sport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RR vs SC10 II or TRX-4 Sport

I have a Rock Rey and it is great. I was thinking of getting a TRX-4 Sport or Trail Honcho and wondering if they will be able to go more places than the RR? Can anyone who has both comment? I have always been more into the 1/8 truggy and buggys but need something slower for around the house.
1FSTLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1 View Post
I have a Rock Rey and it is great. I was thinking of getting a TRX-4 Sport or Trail Honcho and wondering if they will be able to go more places than the RR? Can anyone who has both comment? I have always been more into the 1/8 truggy and buggys but need something slower for around the house.

I have the trx4 sport kit and i dont think it will outdo the rey. The bigger tires and wider track of the rey help it get over obstacles better. That said the TRX4 does seem to have better breakover angle but a lot of times you can just use the reys throttle to get through hangups.

The shorter gearing in the trx4 does make crawling a lot easier though. It tends to be smoother and better controlled. This is coming from someone who stuffed a 9 tooth pinion in my rey so its geared pretty low.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #3

Default Re: RR vs SC10 II or TRX-4 Sport

For the most part the Rock Rey is more capable in a crawling environment. Especially with a sensored system and strategically working the front and center diffs.

If you're into fast 1/8 buggies and the RR, the TRX4 will be very very different. I say go for it, it's a totally different experience and a good one.
iridebikes247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I plan to put a smaller 10 tooth pinion on the RR from the current 12 or 14 I think. That may help.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
I have the trx4 sport kit and i dont think it will outdo the rey. The bigger tires and wider track of the rey help it get over obstacles better. That said the TRX4 does seem to have better breakover angle but a lot of times you can just use the reys throttle to get through hangups.

The shorter gearing in the trx4 does make crawling a lot easier though. It tends to be smoother and better controlled. This is coming from someone who stuffed a 9 tooth pinion in my rey so its geared pretty low.

This almost want me to just keep the RR and start modifying it. Maybe get one of those cheap Red Cat Everest for the boy.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
This almost want me to just keep the RR and start modifying it. Maybe get one of those cheap Red Cat Everest for the boy.
Don’t discount the TRX4. Its a blast and I use it far more than my Rey. Just because its not technically as capable, it doesn’t make it less fun. The rey is just physically a larger, burlier vehicle so the same obstacles are, well, not really obstacles.

Overall i have not been impressed with the Rey as a basher or crawler. The truck is just ok at each and is too much of a compromise. The rear sway bar, for example, is incredibly stiff. I’ve decided i care more about the crawling and as such i have started to shift my rey to be a better crawler and less a basher.

The other problem is that everytime i drive the rey in 3s i break it in like 5 minutes. Mostly driveline issues but ive cracked a few other plastic parts rolling it.

Take a look at my build thread. My rey is full locked, front, center and rear. I just put on shorter rear trailing arms from a Vaterra Twin hammers to shorten up the wheelbase and try to minimize some of its shortcomings as a crawler(long wheelbase, wide belly pan.)

Last edited by mass-hole; 07-28-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have never ran it on 3S. Fast enough on 2S. I had my front diff locked w silly putty for a while but it would just not turn at all. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have never ran it on 3S. Fast enough on 2S. I had my front diff locked w silly putty for a while but it would just not turn at all. Thanks for the input.

Remember, if you gear it down to a 10T you are going to lose a huge amount of top end. Mine did maybe 15mph with a 2700kV Puller Pro on 2S with the 9T.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:22 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Ok well the gear should be here today maybe I will have time this week to see how much difference that makes.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:00 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The Rock Rey's width is it's problem but other than that it's super capable. Will go anywhere a TRX4 will and more.

I run mine with million weight oils, 2400kv Castle Mamba X on 3S geared down. It will diff out occasionally but locking those diffs takes away allot of fun.

My only beef with it is the overly stiff sway bar
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:41 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I think my next move with it will be the million weight diff oil in the front. I have the center locked. I think that will be a big help.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I killed a battery with the RR on a hill at the house. Tried like 50 times and did not give up. I watch too much Madram11 on youtube! I made it at the end then 3 more times. Victory! (Hills of WV) Went back to the house and wondered if the TX4 ( I got for my wife) would make it. Well... No Too steep and just flipped over backwards.

RR vs SC10 II or TRX-4 Sport - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Sport 4RunnerKid Traxxas TRX-4 104 08-29-2018 08:59 PM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport part 2! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 08-03-2018 06:31 AM
Traxxas trx 4 sport vs redcat gen 7 sport! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 07-23-2018 07:19 AM