Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Jato Tries to Define Rock Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #1

Default Jato Tries to Define Rock Rey

What is a Rock Rey?

According to Oxford:

rock - [mass noun] The solid mineral material forming part of the surface of the earth and other similar planets, exposed on the surface or underlying the soil.

‘the beds of rock are slightly tilted’
'a piece of rock'

Seems simple enough, but...

rocks [vulgar slang] A man's testicles.

Well then... Since this is going to be an RC rock crawler and a rock racer we will go with the first definition. If it was a 1:1 you would also need the latter.

Moving on...

That's the easy part. WTH is a Rey?

According to Oxford:

No exact matches found for "rey"

OK let's try Dictionary then:

noun
a city in N Iran, near Teheran.

Um, probably not so let's continue.

OK then let's try the world's largest and most unreliable encyclopedia - Wikipedia.

Noun
rey - vote

Hmmm Rock the Vote! Possibly, but highly doubtful. Let's continue onto more definitions.

Noun
rey - king

Rock King. That makes sense! Probably a winner, but let's dig just a little deeper.

Let's head to the internet's most reliable source - Urban Dictionary.

A pimp mother****er.

an awesome guy

A very very cool guy, with a penis the size of Nebraska (The Springsteen album... since it's an LP, it has a diameter of 12")

OK now that sounds just like me so we have a winner!

Alas, Rock King makes sense. Anyway, I have a Rock King kit on the wey. Err I have a Rock Rey kit on the way.

I've wanted once since the kit was announced. I should have gotten in when they were on sale - turns out they were sadly on clearance. I did not, but I found a leftover all the way across the country in Washington state. It is supposed to ship today and I should have it this week or next. No hurry as I have a lot of parts in mind that I want when I start the build.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #2

Default Re: Jato Tries to Define Rock Rey

So far I have the electronics at home. These items were purchased new in the past - and all are still new or barely used - so that's a big chunk of money that won't have to come out of my bank account for this build.

Castle Mamba Monster X
Tekin ROCK412 3100kv (I may also decide to put this in my Axial Bomber to steal back the Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 3500kv) Thoughts?
Savox 2290 - when one of the sites (dLux maybe) was blowing them out
FlySky receiver for my GT-5.

I ordered the Boom Racing front upper suspension and rear upper and lower suspension mounts. They were considerable cheaper than Losi's even shipped from Chai-nah and I'm a big fan of Boom's stuff.

Also ordered these items:

DSM Off-Road bearings (first time trying them, but they are supposedly ABEC 3)
Exotek clamping 25T servo horn
Exotek stainless steel skid plate
T-Bone Racing 37200 Delrin chassis skid plate

These items are on my list to buy:

Losi aluminum bellcrank
Losi aluminum servo mount
Vaterra Twin Hammers Front Diff Lock for the center and possibly the front

The SSD bulkhead in black and third member (why you no black?) are on my list, but I'm also contemplating splurging here on my first Vanquish axle. It would be in raw so the scratches aren't as obvious. Black axles look like garbage all too quickly when the finish wears off.

This will be mostly a trail rig rock crawler which is why I'm planning on locking the diffs. How do you guys think it will work with the center and rear locked by having the front open with thicker oil? That would turn much better, but I'm not sure just how much crawling performance will be killed. In some spots I think I'd be fine and others it would kill me especially at off-angle approaches. That's probably why front, center and rear will be locked.

Also, I'm not sure if I want 3100kv or 3500kv.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What is a Rock Rey?
I was going to politely suggest you acquire a new kit quickly as you obviously have waaaay too much free time, but I see you've already squared that away, and I was laughing too much anyway...

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure if I want 3100kv or 3500kv.
3300kv FTW. Barring that, 3500.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If we are using Urban Dictionary as an authoritative source, rock can also mean a basketball or a form of cocaine. The "king of cocaine" is a much more impressive title.

Pablo Escobar approves of this build.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I was going to politely suggest you acquire a new kit quickly as you obviously have waaaay too much free time, but I see you've already squared that away, and I was laughing too much anyway...

3300kv FTW. Barring that, 3500.
I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or be offended by the "you obviously have waaaay too much free time" comment. LOL

The 3500kv is in the Bomber and that's just too fast for it IMO. I don't know if it would be slower or faster in the Rock Rey as I never compared the FDR of the two vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
If we are using Urban Dictionary as an authoritative source, rock can also mean a basketball or a form of cocaine. The "king of cocaine" is a much more impressive title.

Pablo Escobar approves of this build.
Dammit! Where were you when I needed you? I shall paint it all white and call it the King of Coccaine! Definitely will require bullet holes and my driver and passenger will have BPV's (bullet proof vests).
Old 12-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice. It's one of those kits that I wanted, but I knew I wouldn't run much.... so I missed out on the $250 clearance as well.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice. It's one of those kits that I wanted, but I knew I wouldn't run much.... so I missed out on the $250 clearance as well.
That's my fear. My Bomber has probably been out on the trails twice in the time that I've owned it. And often it gets boring because it makes the obstacles too easy.

But when you have a lot of RCs, like I'm sure you do, it's impossible to give them all a lot of use.

That's why I was and kinda still am very hesitant to build this. Sometimes I think I should just keep it in the box to see if I want to build it or if I should just sell it after the "OMG I GOT A NEW KIT" wears off.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Since I first heard Rock Rey, it has always made me think of Monterey, the city in CA. Couldn't tell ya why beyond the ending of the name. Is it rocky in Monterey?

Good place for a Mamba Monster, look forward to the build...if it happens....its gonna happen
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or be offended by the "you obviously have waaaay too much free time" comment. LOL
I rarely laugh when offense is intended...as far as you know. It's just envy, ultimately

Quote:
The 3500kv is in the Bomber and that's just too fast for it IMO. I don't know if it would be slower or faster in the Rock Rey as I never compared the FDR of the two vehicles.
My crawlers never see any air time, unless I seriously screw up near cliffs, but the ability to slip the surly bonds was kind of a prerequisite for the Bomber so fast was relative. The 3100kv provides more than enough thrust to get aloft on command, so yeah, I can imagine a 3500kv could be overkill.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Since I first heard Rock Rey, it has always made me think of Monterey, the city in CA. Couldn't tell ya why beyond the ending of the name. Is it rocky in Monterey?

Good place for a Mamba Monster, look forward to the build...if it happens....its gonna happen
Never thought of that, but you are right! Now that you say it it also reminds me of the cheese that shares the name of that city + Jack.

Alas, I'm sure you are right! I'm like a kid on Christmas morning every time an RC package, especially a kit, arrives at home.

Quote:
I rarely laugh when offense is intended...as far as you know. It's just envy, ultimately
Don't worry, I wasn't really offended. I'm rarely offended!

Quote:
My crawlers never see any air time, unless I seriously screw up near cliffs, but the ability to slip the surly bonds was kind of a prerequisite for the Bomber so fast was relative. The 3100kv provides more than enough thrust to get aloft on command, so yeah, I can imagine a 3500kv could be overkill.
The Rock Rey with it's IFS would handle the 3500kv better than a Bomber. I just don't know if I can gear it down enough for crawling speeds.

If the 3500kv remains in the Bomber it's more likely due to my laziness and not wanting to pull the Bomber apart, yet again, to change the motor. I tore that thing apart numerous times trying to diagnose the damn ESC issue that turned out to be a firmware bug.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:

Don't worry, I wasn't really offended. I'm rarely offended!
So I've noticed

Quote:
The Rock Rey with it's IFS would handle the 3500kv better than a Bomber. I just don't know if I can gear it down enough for crawling speeds.

If the 3500kv remains in the Bomber it's more likely due to my laziness and not wanting to pull the Bomber apart, yet again, to change the motor. I tore that thing apart numerous times trying to diagnose the damn ESC issue that turned out to be a firmware bug.
The "some disassembly required" for anything other than a battery swap is for sure the pain point of the Bomber. I would hope the Rock Rey is more maintenance friendly?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The "some disassembly required" for anything other than a battery swap is for sure the pain point of the Bomber. I would hope the Rock Rey is more maintenance friendly?
If the Rock Rey is anything like the Baja Rey the answer to your last question is "no". Cage or body panels have to come off to get to anything other than the motor and battery.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #13

Yeah, by all accounts (by which I mean a bunch of videos I once watched on YouTube), the Rock Rey is even worse to open up than the Bomber. Sad to see this thing discontinued, but it makes sense to see the Losi and Axial lines shake out with some cancellations, I guess.
Fives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Don't forget to pick up Traxxas 2523 screws for the diffs. You'll need 12 screws total. They make aluminum diff cups but I wouldn't mess around with that because they're more expensive and the stock screws are the real weak point anyway.

Also there's a guy on the Rock Rey Facebook group that makes some really nice 3D-printed deans plug adapters for these trucks.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Don't forget to pick up Traxxas 2523 screws for the diffs. You'll need 12 screws total. They make aluminum diff cups but I wouldn't mess around with that because they're more expensive and the stock screws are the real weak point anyway.

Also there's a guy on the Rock Rey Facebook group that makes some really nice 3D-printed deans plug adapters for these trucks.
I didn't know about the screws. Thanks.

I use XT60 connectors so no Deans here.

I'm about to place an order for the rest of the parts for my Rock Rey build. The holdup is that I can't decide between the Vanquish clear/raw axle or just going with the SSD third member...
Old 12-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I ditched the body and went to panels. Looks better and it has the added benefit of easier access to the truck. I locked the center and rear diff, I put in bad horsie locking grease in the front for a limited slip effect. Thing is a monster on the rocks due to the LCOG, any break-over hang ups are easily cured by a bit of speed.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
I ditched the body and went to panels. Looks better and it has the added benefit of easier access to the truck. I locked the center and rear diff, I put in bad horsie locking grease in the front for a limited slip effect. Thing is a monster on the rocks due to the LCOG, any break-over hang ups are easily cured by a bit of speed.
What brand are your panels? And did you have to cut off the standoffs build into the cage?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #18

Well I placed a $400 order at RPP and I splurged on the Vanquish housing. It will be my first VP axle. I ordered at 1:33 PM and got a tracking number at 3:13 PM (that's fast and also a lot of 3's! ) so hopefully the order arrives Friday or Saturday along with the kit!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:19 PM   #19

Well flick flickr since it's going pay. I have uploaded my images for this build to imgbb so let's see how it goes. So far not liking it because, as far as I can tell, you can't adjust the thumbnail sizes. You only get the small size you see here. Open for suggestions to new photo hosts/

Here are the wheels and tires I have at home. One of these wheels will be used with this build and most likely mounted do the Pit Bull Rock Beasts. Vanquish SHR Vintage and TSS Hutchinsons.

And the first shipment of parts arrived. I know, this is existing stuff If I have to wait, you have to wait!

Exotek 25T servo horn
Exotek SS front skid
T-Bone Delrin belly skid (I begrudgingly ended by own T-Bone boycott for this piece)

Now we wait some more.

Are any of you guys using limiting straps? I'd like to get a set at least for the rear. I don't know what length I need and probably won't until I have the kit built. That's where you guys come in instead.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Are any of you guys using limiting straps? I'd like to get a set at least for the rear. I don't know what length I need and probably won't until I have the kit built. That's where you guys come in instead.
I made the panels myself out of aluminum sheet. For the limiting straps, I've been trying to find a set myself but you would need about 5" straps. That is if you are trying to use the second set of shock holes to do it on the rear.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crawler, losi, rey, rock, rock rey

Jato Tries to Define Rock Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Rock Rey/Baja Rey Third Member bearing fitment Achilles Fender General Crawlers 8 05-20-2021 03:34 PM
Losi Rock Rey Kit to Baja Rey "KitConversion Parts List daign Losi Rock Rey 0 06-27-2018 07:49 PM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM