Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: New (to me) Rock Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #21

Default Re: New (to me) Rock Rey

So what could possibly be making so much noise?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/omNb1Dnt1whR2Qk59

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Legacy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy23 View Post
So what could possibly be making so much noise?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/omNb1Dnt1whR2Qk59

That’s the same noise mine makes. The noise on the very low end is the same noise mine makes when trying to crawl at low speeds. Heard some ppl say motor and others say ESC for the low speed cogging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpisOpus View Post
That’s the same noise mine makes. The noise on the very low end is the same noise mine makes when trying to crawl at low speeds. Heard some ppl say motor and others say ESC for the low speed cogging.

So that's normal? Also, as you can see in the video it doesn't like going into reverse.... Am I missing something?

Old 01-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
So that's normal? Also, as you can see in the video it doesn't like going into reverse.... Am I missing something?

Oh I didn’t catch the reverse thing. I just started having that issue myself along with a steering issue. Did you run yours in the rain or snow or anything?

Old 01-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Oh I didn’t catch the reverse thing. I just started having that issue myself along with a steering issue. Did you run yours in the rain or snow or anything?

I bought it used.... So it's quite possible that it has been

Old 01-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I bought it used.... So it's quite possible that it has been

Oh ok. I had posted my issue in a FB group and someone told me it was probably the servo so bought a new one. Waiting to put it in though bc I have a bunch of other parts coming. If it isn’t the servo though then it’ll probably be the receiver. I bought the Savox 0231 waterproof servo. As for the receiver, older RRs came with an SR4332 or something like that which are NOT waterproof. The newer RTR RRs came with the SR6000 which Horizon claims to be waterproof, but I’m not too sure about that

Old 01-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Oh I did also read other ppl having the reverse problem, and they said if the system is sensing any throttle forward action it will not reverse consistently, and the solution is to adjust the throttle trim towards reverse. That fix did not work for me though, but you could give it a tr

Old 01-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #28

Man...smh It seems like I should have just bought it new... I don't want to have to replace the esc, motor and servo

Sent from my SM-T837T using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Default New (to me) Rock Rey

Quote:
Man...smh It seems like I should have just bought it new... I don't want to have to replace the esc, motor and servo

Haha I did buy mine new. Only 2 weeks ago. You shouldn’t have to replace motor and esc. Mine made the same noises brand new, and if it’s working for what you want it to work for then you’re good. For me it just wasn’t crawling like I wanted it to so I opted to spend the money. If the throttle trim fix doesn’t work like I posted above then try a servo. The one I referenced was only $40 + i bought the TLR25 aluminum servo horn for $10.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Haha I did buy mine new. Only 2 weeks ago. You shouldn’t have to replace motor and esc. Mine made the same noises brand new, and if it’s working for what you want it to work for then you’re good. For me it just wasn’t crawling like I wanted it to so I opted to spend the money. If the throttle trim fix doesn’t work like I posted above then try a servo. The one I referenced was only $40 + i bought the TLR25 aluminum servo horn for $10.

Oh boy....smh

Ok I'll try the trim trick and see if that works. Thanks for the tip. I'll probably just order the servo anyway....lol

Old 01-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Oh boy....smh

Ok I'll try the trim trick and see if that works. Thanks for the tip. I'll probably just order the servo anyway....lol

Everyone says to upgrade the servo anyways. Usually servos you get with RTR trucks are garbage and especially so with the RR from what I’ve read. Good luck. Keep us updated. I’d like to know what your solution ends up being.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Everyone says to upgrade the servo anyways. Usually servos you get with RTR trucks are garbage and especially so with the RR from what I’ve read. Good luck. Keep us updated. I’d like to know what your solution ends up being.

Thanks... I'll keep you posted for sure.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:20 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

The clicking noise is totally normal it’s the big Chucky tooth pitch of the gears (mod1) smaller pitch gears aren’t as noisy ,
The reverse thing is a programmed into the esc to prevent the user destroying the transmission.

I swapped out for a castle setup which is meant for a 1/8 scale vehicle and it doesn’t have this feature and It has caused a problem apart from the diff screw failure but I think that was inevitable,
Also going back to exotek diff cups if your planning on installing 1 it’ll only cause the other 2 plastic cups to fail as they will be weaker links so all 3 need to be replaced at the same time , the other main weak points are the 3rd member found on the rear axle this broke almost immediately , the steering rack then the front bulkhead , all the bearings are pretty low quality too but won’t cause a massive problem on failure just replace as they self destruct lol

As for the clicking noise a pair of 1mm washers can be installed either side in between the the motor mount and plastic housing that receives the motor mount , this will create a small 1mm step in the chassis plate but it does reduce the clicking a bit . https://www.facebook.com/groups/5056...6423731883307/

willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:35 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

As for the receiver being waterproof it is only splash proof I definitely wouldn’t submerge it totally if you want to waterproof stick it in a balloon and zip tie and silicone the hole where the wires come out another point is the receiver can’t handle anymore than 6.4v if I remember rightly but a better receiver can be purchased that allows for a higher voltage to pass through it without any problem ,

if you upgrade to a stronger servo (savox for example ) the servo will need to be programmed to produce the extra strength , it will not be any stronger than stock , definitely more reliable and longer lasting but not stronger !!!

This is why you need a better HORIZON receiver that can take something like 9.6v
Something like this one
https://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/Produ...&storeId=20001

Old 01-15-2019, 05:23 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
As for the receiver being waterproof it is only splash proof I definitely wouldn’t submerge it totally if you want to waterproof stick it in a balloon and zip tie and silicone the hole where the wires come out another point is the receiver can’t handle anymore than 6.4v if I remember rightly but a better receiver can be purchased that allows for a higher voltage to pass through it without any problem ,

if you upgrade to a stronger servo (savox for example ) the servo will need to be programmed to produce the extra strength , it will not be any stronger than stock , definitely more reliable and longer lasting but not stronger !!!

This is why you need a better HORIZON receiver that can take something like 9.6v
Something like this one
https://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/Produ...&storeId=20001

That’s the stock receiver that came with the older RRs and is no longer in production. The receiver they recommend in its place comes with the newer RR RTRs. How do you program a servo??

Old 01-15-2019, 05:50 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Yep I did see that ,..that’s why I said something LIKE this one , the important thing is a rx that can take more than 7.5v which is the limit for the savox 1231 ,.. also would be best to get a horizon brand which has the avc capability so it works with the standard controller supplied
and to program a servo isn’t quite the right description I meant tell the internal bec in the esc to allow more voyage to travel through the rx to the servo so works to its fullest power, it can be found on the castle link software ,BEC voltage adjustment .
all of the savox servos come set to 6.4v which is pretty weak after 30 mins of crawling time and it will result in a loss of power .
You can run a an external bec but it need to be hardwired in to the main +- power leads and that will need programming with a castle field link to tell it what power to run to the servo .

Old 01-15-2019, 05:52 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Old 01-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #38

Wow, all good info guys. Thanks a lot. I will be picking up the shocks I need today and hopefully I can finally start having some fun with this thing.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #39

Quick question guys.... I know it's a dumb one but how much shock oil do I put in these shocks? I don't want to over fill em.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Quick question guys.... I know it's a dumb one but how much shock oil do I put in these shocks? I don't want to over fill em.

There’s a good video on YouTube I’ve seen. Might be a little long to explain, but it’s easy to do.

New (to me) Rock Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Rock Rey/Baja Rey Third Member bearing fitment Achilles Fender General Crawlers 8 05-20-2021 03:34 PM
Losi Rock Rey Kit to Baja Rey "KitConversion Parts List daign Losi Rock Rey 0 06-27-2018 07:49 PM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM