Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey
Loading

Notices

Thread: My RR build

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Winchester
Posts: 81
Default My RR build

Got my Rock Rey a couple weeks ago, and liked it, but didnít love it. First day driving I snapped a shock so started with 4 Proline shock replacements. Went with the typical rear Slash shocks for the front, and the XT shocks for the rear.
Next was the steel rear upper links. I wanted to add weight to the back and I just liked the look of them.

Then I started having what I hope is servo problems (considering I bought a new servo.) I also bought the locker for the center diff. After tearing everything down for diff locking and servo replacement, and finding out itís not just the servo, but also the whole rack setup, I said screw it letís do a complete overhaul so as you can see itís all torn apart.


Upgrades already on are PL shocks all around, center diff lock and rear steel upper links.
Upcoming upgrades which I will update this post as I install them are:

HR steering rack setup
PL Hyrax G8 2.2 Tires and duel stage foams
Aluminum beadlock wheels (cheapos)
SSD front bulkhead
SSD third member
Savox waterproof Servo
Castle Monster Mamba X esc w/ 1515 2200kv motor
2 exotek alum diff housings (front and center)
Gravity 1,000,000 cst for front diff
The ultimate goal for this is to be a trail runner/crawler. Will continue to update over next week or so as parts get delivered and installed. Thanks for looking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Winchester
Posts: 81
Default Re: My RR build

Ughhh the parts seem like theyíre taking forever to get here haha. I did get a few, but itís all stuff I have to wait for additional parts before I can begin building. I did however finally get the Hyrax 2.2 tires. Mounted them on the cheapo aluminum beadlock wheels with Pro-Line duel stage foam. Took forever bc that foam isnít the easiest to put in plus having to do the however many screws on each beadlock, but damn I love the look of them. I do need to acquire some locknuts that donít have the flange though bc the flanged nuts do not fit into the wheels.
I did also get my Savox 0231 servo, TLR25 servo horn, and the SSD third member. Need the rest of my servo parts and waiting on diff parts before throwing the third member on. More posts to come soon!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Winchester
Posts: 81
Default Re: My RR build

Alrighty. Aside from the motor and ESC I got all the parts I wanted and started putting it together....and I hope I will never have to do it again haha. This thing is tough to work on with all the screws you have to keep track of. So my first few steps consisted of upgrading the diff housings in rear, center and front with the Exotek aluminum upgrades with 2.5mm screws. I started on the rear since I had the SSD 3rd member to also install and this is when the ďfunĒ started.
Everything came apart pretty successfully, but a few mistakes were made. First image you can see the Exotek housing inside the rear diff. To accommodate the larger screws I had to drill larger holes in the gear (makes sense) and I used a Dremel carbide cutting tool. Despite the hardened gears from all 3 diffs chewing the bit to pieces, it worked out in the end. In the 2nd pic you can see the SSD 3rd member. Looks beautiful on there right? Well it did. Had to take it off and replace it with the stock. First had trouble getting one of the bearings to fit on interior of third member. Tried to jimmy rig it with washers and other bearings, but didnít work. Then I tried tapping the bearing into place lightly which completely destroyed the bearing. After putting it together and tearing it apart 4 (yea...4!!! Times!!!!) I finally just put stock piece back on.
Next up is the center diff. I had already installed the Vaterra Twin Hammers locker so was just a matter of switching it over to the Exotek housing and greasing it up real good.
I do not have pics of the front diff, but aside from the Exotek housing, I added 1,000,000 weight oil to it. Holy crap this stuff was a pain to work with since Iíve never done it before, but Iíve read good things about it. Gravity brand 1,000,000 cst. I ordered it from TQ racing for $15. Honestly the included syringe is what sold me haha.
I do have a front bulkhead from SSD, but I could not for the life of me get the piece that holds the driveshaft off of the gear so being 3+ hours into building at this point I decided Iíll deal with it later if it breaks at least I have an upgraded replacement. My last and final step before throwing the motor back in and reassembling was the servo installation with the Savox 0232 servo, hot racing steering setup and also this hot racing aluminum brace that goes on the bulkhead.
Everything went surprisingly well with all of these parts. I say surprising bc I usually run into weird issues when messing with servos. Only issue this time was that the steering was reversed in this one, but with the flip of a switch on my Tx it was fixed!! Man I cannot believe the difference this servo makes. It is fast and torquey and I love it. Thatís all for now. Next step is painting the aluminum panels when it gets a little warmer and hopefully my back ordered motor and esc will get here sometime soon. Final image is of the new tires and wheels on the truck. Looks badass in my opinion and they feel a million times better than the stock tires and foams. Did have to get lock nuts without the flange and use washers to fit them though (cheap ass wheels lol). If you have any questions or comments please let me know.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Winchester
Posts: 81
Default Re: My RR build

Still waiting on motor and esc. I cancelled my order with AMain bc they never got it in stock and didnít know when it would be. Found a cheaper setup anyway. Same monster mamba esc, but this time a 2650kv motor. $60 cheaper from eBay and guaranteed that itís in stock and on its way. Since Iíve already done the other electronics I decided to just grab a new receiver too from Hobbywing. Also a waterproof receiver box from Traxxas so I can mount the new Rx up front. Only other update is finishing body panels. Have the sides and ďhoodĒ (I guess??) painted. Just need to clearcoat and cut and paint roof and bumper. Have the rough cardboard templates made to do it today.
Thatís all for now. Idk if anyone has even looked at this build haha, but Iíll keep updating regardless.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Milford
Posts: 33
Default Re: My RR build

You are going to love the 2650 kv motor. Thatís what I have in mine, along with a Mamba X. Iím running a 14t pinion but I might go a little bigger. I donít crawl, I bash. I love the way it jumps off my ramp and I can get a back flip it. I need to address my wheels/tires. The sidewalks are just too soft for my liking. Iíve upgraded a lot of stuff on mine. I really love the truck. I dig those panels you made. If you ever want to sell some Iíd buy them!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bicketybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Winchester
Posts: 81
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicketybam View Post
You are going to love the 2650 kv motor. Thatís what I have in mine, along with a Mamba X. Iím running a 14t pinion but I might go a little bigger. I donít crawl, I bash. I love the way it jumps off my ramp and I can get a back flip it. I need to address my wheels/tires. The sidewalks are just too soft for my liking. Iíve upgraded a lot of stuff on mine. I really love the truck. I dig those panels you made. If you ever want to sell some Iíd buy them!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


I canít wait to get the motor and esc, but am a little nervous bc Iíve never installed a brushless system. Only work on motor Iíve ever done was replace a brushed one on a rustler I had about 17 years ago, and there was no soldering involved. Thanks for the compliment on the panels. I wish I was good enough to sell them, but honestly the photos are a little deceiving. From that distance or just a glance the panels look great. However there are a few inconsistencies with measurements and cuts. Especially with the ďhoodĒ area. I completely screwed the first one up on the screw holes and can only use 2 screws. Then I ran out of metal lol.
As you can tell I painted them. Hereís the full image. Itís a metallic blue.
Btw I fit the hood under the plastic on purpose. Prevents it from getting in the way when accessing the insides bc I use the method where you just unscrew the 4 screws on the roll cage under the roof and pivot the whole roof towards the front for access. I will update once I get the rest of my stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Milford
Posts: 33
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpisOpus View Post
I canít wait to get the motor and esc, but am a little nervous bc Iíve never installed a brushless system. Only work on motor Iíve ever done was replace a brushed one on a rustler I had about 17 years ago, and there was no soldering involved. Thanks for the compliment on the panels. I wish I was good enough to sell them, but honestly the photos are a little deceiving. From that distance or just a glance the panels look great. However there are a few inconsistencies with measurements and cuts. Especially with the ďhoodĒ area. I completely screwed the first one up on the screw holes and can only use 2 screws. Then I ran out of metal lol.
As you can tell I painted them. Hereís the full image. Itís a metallic blue.
Btw I fit the hood under the plastic on purpose. Prevents it from getting in the way when accessing the insides bc I use the method where you just unscrew the 4 screws on the roll cage under the roof and pivot the whole roof towards the front for access. I will update once I get the rest of my stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it looks good to me. The body that came with my kit split in the rear so I cut that part off. I have a crack up near the front that is only going to get worse. I saw some carbon fiber panels that looked really sharp but they were $99. Pass.

I had to change the bullets on the motor leads of my 1512-2650kv motor because they were too big for the Mamba X. The guy at my LHS did it for me because I suck at soldering.

Here is some running footage of mine. The truck can really do it all. https://youtu.be/qV9DpcfGqDQ

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Bicketybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:42 AM   #8
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Winchester
Posts: 81
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicketybam View Post
Well it looks good to me. The body that came with my kit split in the rear so I cut that part off. I have a crack up near the front that is only going to get worse. I saw some carbon fiber panels that looked really sharp but they were $99. Pass.

I had to change the bullets on the motor leads of my 1512-2650kv motor because they were too big for the Mamba X. The guy at my LHS did it for me because I suck at soldering.

Here is some running footage of mine. The truck can really do it all. https://youtu.be/qV9DpcfGqDQ

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk


Looks like it runs real good, and you have a nice area to drive around in. I live on a farm so got plenty of room, but I canít wait to get it out in the woods and stuff with the locked diffs to see how it does. I shouldnít have an issue with my bullet connectors when the motor comes bc I have the Mamba Monster esc coming rather than the mamba X. What other upgrades do you have on yours?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Milford
Posts: 33
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpisOpus View Post
Looks like it runs real good, and you have a nice area to drive around in. I live on a farm so got plenty of room, but I canít wait to get it out in the woods and stuff with the locked diffs to see how it does. I shouldnít have an issue with my bullet connectors when the motor comes bc I have the Mamba Monster esc coming rather than the mamba X. What other upgrades do you have on yours?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the kit so it came with the aluminum trailing arms, adjustable turnbuckles, aluminum upper links and aluminum alxe housing upper track rod mount. I have added the following:


Losi upgrades:
aluminum servo horn
aluminum spindles
aluminum spindle carriers
aluminum front camber link mount
aluminum servo mount
aluminum bellcrank/servo saver
aluminum upper/lower bulkhead track rod mount


Hot Racing:
aluminum front gear box
rear shock towers
front shock tower cross brace


Exotek
alloy front and rear diff cups


SSD
alloy 3rd member


I am still waiting on the Exotek diff cups so the truck is still apart. Does Exotek make a seperate center diff cup or will the ones they have listed as front and rear work?
Bicketybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Winchester
Posts: 81
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicketybam View Post
I bought the kit so it came with the aluminum trailing arms, adjustable turnbuckles, aluminum upper links and aluminum alxe housing upper track rod mount. I have added the following:


Losi upgrades:
aluminum servo horn
aluminum spindles
aluminum spindle carriers
aluminum front camber link mount
aluminum servo mount
aluminum bellcrank/servo saver
aluminum upper/lower bulkhead track rod mount


Hot Racing:
aluminum front gear box
rear shock towers
front shock tower cross brace


Exotek
alloy front and rear diff cups


SSD
alloy 3rd member


I am still waiting on the Exotek diff cups so the truck is still apart. Does Exotek make a seperate center diff cup or will the ones they have listed as front and rear work?


No separate diff housing. They fit the center as well, but for whatever reason only list front and rear. You will have to drill bigger holes in the gears though to get the 2.5 screws to fit. Not a direct fit like they claim


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Milford
Posts: 33
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpisOpus View Post
No separate diff housing. They fit the center as well, but for whatever reason only list front and rear. You will have to drill bigger holes in the gears though to get the 2.5 screws to fit. Not a direct fit like they claim


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang it. I should have ordered 3. I am tempted to order a 3rd and then hold on to them and wait until I have an issue. But on the flip side my truck is apart and I hate working on it. How necessary are the alloy diff cups. You saw what I was doing with my RR and I my diffs have been fine.
Bicketybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Winchester
Posts: 81
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicketybam View Post
Dang it. I should have ordered 3. I am tempted to order a 3rd and then hold on to them and wait until I have an issue. But on the flip side my truck is apart and I hate working on it. How necessary are the alloy diff cups. You saw what I was doing with my RR and I my diffs have been fine.


Have you locked your center diff or anything? Thatís the only reason I did it was bc I locked the center and put 1,000,000 weight in the front. I initially only ordered 2 myself to do front and center, but was warned that if I didnít do the rear as well I might have problems. So I ordered the 3rd and was going to wait just like you said but just decided to do it bc the RR is a bitch to work on lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Milford
Posts: 33
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpisOpus View Post
Have you locked your center diff or anything? Thatís the only reason I did it was bc I locked the center and put 1,000,000 weight in the front. I initially only ordered 2 myself to do front and center, but was warned that if I didnít do the rear as well I might have problems. So I ordered the 3rd and was going to wait just like you said but just decided to do it bc the RR is a bitch to work on lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't locked it. I'm running 100k in the center and 30k up front. I don't crawl with the truck. I run in dirt, some trails and I jump it. If I ran 1 mil in the front it would probably turn poorly and that's a deal breaker for me. But I understand why it's done.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Bicketybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Winchester
Posts: 81
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicketybam View Post
I haven't locked it. I'm running 100k in the center and 30k up front. I don't crawl with the truck. I run in dirt, some trails and I jump it. If I ran 1 mil in the front it would probably turn poorly and that's a deal breaker for me. But I understand why it's done.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk


Oh ok. I only know what Iíve read about people locking the diffs and stuff saying the stock screws are too crappy on the diff gears to do that. However, I was told if you upgrade 1 or 2 of the housings to the Exotek that you should do the 3rd also or risk problems, but idk what the validity is of that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Milford
Posts: 33
Default Re: My RR build

That makes sense I guess. I'm going to order another and do them all at once.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Bicketybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #16
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Winchester
Posts: 81
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicketybam View Post
You are going to love the 2650 kv motor. Thatís what I have in mine, along with a Mamba X. Iím running a 14t pinion but I might go a little bigger. I donít crawl, I bash. I love the way it jumps off my ramp and I can get a back flip it. I need to address my wheels/tires. The sidewalks are just too soft for my liking. Iíve upgraded a lot of stuff on mine. I really love the truck. I dig those panels you made. If you ever want to sell some Iíd buy them!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Had a question. How did you get the 2650 motor to fit? The shaft on mine seems like itís too long and wonít slide down into the transmission


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Milford
Posts: 33
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpisOpus View Post
Had a question. How did you get the 2650 motor to fit? The shaft on mine seems like itís too long and wonít slide down into the transmission


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Used a dremel to take just a tiny bit if the plastic off. You don't need much.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Bicketybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:49 PM   #18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Milford
Posts: 33
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicketybam View Post
I bought the kit so it came with the aluminum trailing arms, adjustable turnbuckles, aluminum upper links and aluminum alxe housing upper track rod mount. I have added the following:


Losi upgrades:
aluminum servo horn
aluminum spindles
aluminum spindle carriers
aluminum front camber link mount
aluminum servo mount
aluminum bellcrank/servo saver
aluminum upper/lower bulkhead track rod mount


Hot Racing:
aluminum front gear box
rear shock towers
front shock tower cross brace


Exotek
alloy front and rear diff cups


SSD
alloy 3rd member


I am still waiting on the Exotek diff cups so the truck is still apart. Does Exotek make a seperate center diff cup or will the ones they have listed as front and rear work?
You can add the SSD rear axle shaft to my list and a 3rd Ever alloy diff cup for the center diff. And I originally forgot to list the Losi aluminum rear trailing arms.

Let me know if you get the motor to fit.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Bicketybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #19
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Winchester
Posts: 81
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicketybam View Post
You can add the SSD rear axle shaft to my list and a 3rd Ever alloy diff cup for the center diff. And I originally forgot to list the Losi aluminum rear trailing arms.

Let me know if you get the motor to fit.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk


I was able to get the motor past the transmission case, but I cannot for the life of me get it to mesh. I have a 17t pinion and canít figure out how to get it meshed with the transmission. Iíve been getting so pissed lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: New Milford
Posts: 33
Default Re: My RR build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpisOpus View Post
I was able to get the motor past the transmission case, but I cannot for the life of me get it to mesh. I have a 17t pinion and canít figure out how to get it meshed with the transmission. Iíve been getting so pissed lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your Rock Rey is going into haul with a 17t pinion. I'm running 2 over stock so 12? Are you sure you used the right mounting holes? Mine were incredibly hard to figure out.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Bicketybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



My RR build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JackedDriver's R1 Build (non-specific purpose / just wanted a good build) JackedDriver G-Made Crawlers 12 01-12-2016 07:59 PM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com