Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: My RR build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My RR build

Got my Rock Rey a couple weeks ago, and liked it, but didn’t love it. First day driving I snapped a shock so started with 4 Proline shock replacements. Went with the typical rear Slash shocks for the front, and the XT shocks for the rear.
Next was the steel rear upper links. I wanted to add weight to the back and I just liked the look of them.

Then I started having what I hope is servo problems (considering I bought a new servo.) I also bought the locker for the center diff. After tearing everything down for diff locking and servo replacement, and finding out it’s not just the servo, but also the whole rack setup, I said screw it let’s do a complete overhaul so as you can see it’s all torn apart.

Upgrades already on are PL shocks all around, center diff lock and rear steel upper links.
Upcoming upgrades which I will update this post as I install them are:

HR steering rack setup
PL Hyrax G8 2.2 Tires and duel stage foams
Aluminum beadlock wheels (cheapos)
SSD front bulkhead
SSD third member
Savox waterproof Servo
Castle Monster Mamba X esc w/ 1515 2200kv motor
2 exotek alum diff housings (front and center)
Gravity 1,000,000 cst for front diff
The ultimate goal for this is to be a trail runner/crawler. Will continue to update over next week or so as parts get delivered and installed. Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My RR build

Ughhh the parts seem like they’re taking forever to get here haha. I did get a few, but it’s all stuff I have to wait for additional parts before I can begin building. I did however finally get the Hyrax 2.2 tires. Mounted them on the cheapo aluminum beadlock wheels with Pro-Line duel stage foam. Took forever bc that foam isn’t the easiest to put in plus having to do the however many screws on each beadlock, but damn I love the look of them. I do need to acquire some locknuts that don’t have the flange though bc the flanged nuts do not fit into the wheels.
I did also get my Savox 0231 servo, TLR25 servo horn, and the SSD third member. Need the rest of my servo parts and waiting on diff parts before throwing the third member on. More posts to come soon!!

Old 01-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Alrighty. Aside from the motor and ESC I got all the parts I wanted and started putting it together....and I hope I will never have to do it again haha. This thing is tough to work on with all the screws you have to keep track of. So my first few steps consisted of upgrading the diff housings in rear, center and front with the Exotek aluminum upgrades with 2.5mm screws. I started on the rear since I had the SSD 3rd member to also install and this is when the “fun” started.
Everything came apart pretty successfully, but a few mistakes were made. First image you can see the Exotek housing inside the rear diff. To accommodate the larger screws I had to drill larger holes in the gear (makes sense) and I used a Dremel carbide cutting tool. Despite the hardened gears from all 3 diffs chewing the bit to pieces, it worked out in the end. In the 2nd pic you can see the SSD 3rd member. Looks beautiful on there right? Well it did. Had to take it off and replace it with the stock. First had trouble getting one of the bearings to fit on interior of third member. Tried to jimmy rig it with washers and other bearings, but didn’t work. Then I tried tapping the bearing into place lightly which completely destroyed the bearing. After putting it together and tearing it apart 4 (yea...4!!! Times!!!!) I finally just put stock piece back on.
Next up is the center diff. I had already installed the Vaterra Twin Hammers locker so was just a matter of switching it over to the Exotek housing and greasing it up real good.
I do not have pics of the front diff, but aside from the Exotek housing, I added 1,000,000 weight oil to it. Holy crap this stuff was a pain to work with since I’ve never done it before, but I’ve read good things about it. Gravity brand 1,000,000 cst. I ordered it from TQ racing for $15. Honestly the included syringe is what sold me haha.
I do have a front bulkhead from SSD, but I could not for the life of me get the piece that holds the driveshaft off of the gear so being 3+ hours into building at this point I decided I’ll deal with it later if it breaks at least I have an upgraded replacement. My last and final step before throwing the motor back in and reassembling was the servo installation with the Savox 0232 servo, hot racing steering setup and also this hot racing aluminum brace that goes on the bulkhead.
Everything went surprisingly well with all of these parts. I say surprising bc I usually run into weird issues when messing with servos. Only issue this time was that the steering was reversed in this one, but with the flip of a switch on my Tx it was fixed!! Man I cannot believe the difference this servo makes. It is fast and torquey and I love it. That’s all for now. Next step is painting the aluminum panels when it gets a little warmer and hopefully my back ordered motor and esc will get here sometime soon. Final image is of the new tires and wheels on the truck. Looks badass in my opinion and they feel a million times better than the stock tires and foams. Did have to get lock nuts without the flange and use washers to fit them though (cheap ass wheels lol). If you have any questions or comments please let me know.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Still waiting on motor and esc. I cancelled my order with AMain bc they never got it in stock and didn’t know when it would be. Found a cheaper setup anyway. Same monster mamba esc, but this time a 2650kv motor. $60 cheaper from eBay and guaranteed that it’s in stock and on its way. Since I’ve already done the other electronics I decided to just grab a new receiver too from Hobbywing. Also a waterproof receiver box from Traxxas so I can mount the new Rx up front. Only other update is finishing body panels. Have the sides and “hood” (I guess??) painted. Just need to clearcoat and cut and paint roof and bumper. Have the rough cardboard templates made to do it today.
That’s all for now. Idk if anyone has even looked at this build haha, but I’ll keep updating regardless.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #5

You are going to love the 2650 kv motor. That’s what I have in mine, along with a Mamba X. I’m running a 14t pinion but I might go a little bigger. I don’t crawl, I bash. I love the way it jumps off my ramp and I can get a back flip it. I need to address my wheels/tires. The sidewalks are just too soft for my liking. I’ve upgraded a lot of stuff on mine. I really love the truck. I dig those panels you made. If you ever want to sell some I’d buy them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bicketybam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicketybam View Post
You are going to love the 2650 kv motor. That’s what I have in mine, along with a Mamba X. I’m running a 14t pinion but I might go a little bigger. I don’t crawl, I bash. I love the way it jumps off my ramp and I can get a back flip it. I need to address my wheels/tires. The sidewalks are just too soft for my liking. I’ve upgraded a lot of stuff on mine. I really love the truck. I dig those panels you made. If you ever want to sell some I’d buy them!

I can’t wait to get the motor and esc, but am a little nervous bc I’ve never installed a brushless system. Only work on motor I’ve ever done was replace a brushed one on a rustler I had about 17 years ago, and there was no soldering involved. Thanks for the compliment on the panels. I wish I was good enough to sell them, but honestly the photos are a little deceiving. From that distance or just a glance the panels look great. However there are a few inconsistencies with measurements and cuts. Especially with the “hood” area. I completely screwed the first one up on the screw holes and can only use 2 screws. Then I ran out of metal lol.
As you can tell I painted them. Here’s the full image. It’s a metallic blue.
Btw I fit the hood under the plastic on purpose. Prevents it from getting in the way when accessing the insides bc I use the method where you just unscrew the 4 screws on the roll cage under the roof and pivot the whole roof towards the front for access. I will update once I get the rest of my stuff.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpisOpus View Post
I can’t wait to get the motor and esc, but am a little nervous bc I’ve never installed a brushless system. Only work on motor I’ve ever done was replace a brushed one on a rustler I had about 17 years ago, and there was no soldering involved. Thanks for the compliment on the panels. I wish I was good enough to sell them, but honestly the photos are a little deceiving. From that distance or just a glance the panels look great. However there are a few inconsistencies with measurements and cuts. Especially with the “hood” area. I completely screwed the first one up on the screw holes and can only use 2 screws. Then I ran out of metal lol.
As you can tell I painted them. Here’s the full image. It’s a metallic blue.
Btw I fit the hood under the plastic on purpose. Prevents it from getting in the way when accessing the insides bc I use the method where you just unscrew the 4 screws on the roll cage under the roof and pivot the whole roof towards the front for access. I will update once I get the rest of my stuff.

Well it looks good to me. The body that came with my kit split in the rear so I cut that part off. I have a crack up near the front that is only going to get worse. I saw some carbon fiber panels that looked really sharp but they were $99. Pass.

I had to change the bullets on the motor leads of my 1512-2650kv motor because they were too big for the Mamba X. The guy at my LHS did it for me because I suck at soldering.

Here is some running footage of mine. The truck can really do it all. https://youtu.be/qV9DpcfGqDQ

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2019, 04:42 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Well it looks good to me. The body that came with my kit split in the rear so I cut that part off. I have a crack up near the front that is only going to get worse. I saw some carbon fiber panels that looked really sharp but they were $99. Pass.

I had to change the bullets on the motor leads of my 1512-2650kv motor because they were too big for the Mamba X. The guy at my LHS did it for me because I suck at soldering.

Here is some running footage of mine. The truck can really do it all. https://youtu.be/qV9DpcfGqDQ

Looks like it runs real good, and you have a nice area to drive around in. I live on a farm so got plenty of room, but I can’t wait to get it out in the woods and stuff with the locked diffs to see how it does. I shouldn’t have an issue with my bullet connectors when the motor comes bc I have the Mamba Monster esc coming rather than the mamba X. What other upgrades do you have on yours?

Old 01-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Looks like it runs real good, and you have a nice area to drive around in. I live on a farm so got plenty of room, but I can’t wait to get it out in the woods and stuff with the locked diffs to see how it does. I shouldn’t have an issue with my bullet connectors when the motor comes bc I have the Mamba Monster esc coming rather than the mamba X. What other upgrades do you have on yours?

I bought the kit so it came with the aluminum trailing arms, adjustable turnbuckles, aluminum upper links and aluminum alxe housing upper track rod mount. I have added the following:

Losi upgrades:
aluminum servo horn
aluminum spindles
aluminum spindle carriers
aluminum front camber link mount
aluminum servo mount
aluminum bellcrank/servo saver
aluminum upper/lower bulkhead track rod mount

Hot Racing:
aluminum front gear box
rear shock towers
front shock tower cross brace

Exotek
alloy front and rear diff cups

SSD
alloy 3rd member

I am still waiting on the Exotek diff cups so the truck is still apart. Does Exotek make a seperate center diff cup or will the ones they have listed as front and rear work?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I bought the kit so it came with the aluminum trailing arms, adjustable turnbuckles, aluminum upper links and aluminum alxe housing upper track rod mount. I have added the following:

Losi upgrades:
aluminum servo horn
aluminum spindles
aluminum servo mount

Hot Racing:
aluminum front gear box
rear shock towers

Exotek

SSD
alloy 3rd member

I am still waiting on the Exotek diff cups so the truck is still apart. Does Exotek make a seperate center diff cup or will the ones they have listed as front and rear work?

No separate diff housing. They fit the center as well, but for whatever reason only list front and rear. You will have to drill bigger holes in the gears though to get the 2.5 screws to fit. Not a direct fit like they claim

Old 01-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #11

Quote:
No separate diff housing. They fit the center as well, but for whatever reason only list front and rear. You will have to drill bigger holes in the gears though to get the 2.5 screws to fit. Not a direct fit like they claim

Dang it. I should have ordered 3. I am tempted to order a 3rd and then hold on to them and wait until I have an issue. But on the flip side my truck is apart and I hate working on it. How necessary are the alloy diff cups. You saw what I was doing with my RR and I my diffs have been fine.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Dang it. I should have ordered 3. I am tempted to order a 3rd and then hold on to them and wait until I have an issue. But on the flip side my truck is apart and I hate working on it. How necessary are the alloy diff cups. You saw what I was doing with my RR and I my diffs have been fine.

Have you locked your center diff or anything? That’s the only reason I did it was bc I locked the center and put 1,000,000 weight in the front. I initially only ordered 2 myself to do front and center, but was warned that if I didn’t do the rear as well I might have problems. So I ordered the 3rd and was going to wait just like you said but just decided to do it bc the RR is a bitch to work on lol

Old 01-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Have you locked your center diff or anything? That’s the only reason I did it was bc I locked the center and put 1,000,000 weight in the front. I initially only ordered 2 myself to do front and center, but was warned that if I didn’t do the rear as well I might have problems. So I ordered the 3rd and was going to wait just like you said but just decided to do it bc the RR is a bitch to work on lol

I haven't locked it. I'm running 100k in the center and 30k up front. I don't crawl with the truck. I run in dirt, some trails and I jump it. If I ran 1 mil in the front it would probably turn poorly and that's a deal breaker for me. But I understand why it's done.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I haven't locked it. I'm running 100k in the center and 30k up front. I don't crawl with the truck. I run in dirt, some trails and I jump it. If I ran 1 mil in the front it would probably turn poorly and that's a deal breaker for me. But I understand why it's done.

Oh ok. I only know what I’ve read about people locking the diffs and stuff saying the stock screws are too crappy on the diff gears to do that. However, I was told if you upgrade 1 or 2 of the housings to the Exotek that you should do the 3rd also or risk problems, but idk what the validity is of that

Old 01-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #15

That makes sense I guess. I'm going to order another and do them all at once.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Had a question. How did you get the 2650 motor to fit? The shaft on mine seems like it’s too long and won’t slide down into the transmission

Old 01-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Had a question. How did you get the 2650 motor to fit? The shaft on mine seems like it’s too long and won’t slide down into the transmission

Used a dremel to take just a tiny bit if the plastic off. You don't need much.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:49 PM   #18

Quote:

Losi upgrades:
aluminum servo horn
aluminum spindles
aluminum servo mount

Hot Racing:
aluminum front gear box
rear shock towers

Exotek

SSD
alloy 3rd member

You can add the SSD rear axle shaft to my list and a 3rd Ever alloy diff cup for the center diff. And I originally forgot to list the Losi aluminum rear trailing arms.

Let me know if you get the motor to fit.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
You can add the SSD rear axle shaft to my list and a 3rd Ever alloy diff cup for the center diff. And I originally forgot to list the Losi aluminum rear trailing arms.

Let me know if you get the motor to fit.

I was able to get the motor past the transmission case, but I cannot for the life of me get it to mesh. I have a 17t pinion and can’t figure out how to get it meshed with the transmission. I’ve been getting so pissed lol

Old 01-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #20

Quote:
I was able to get the motor past the transmission case, but I cannot for the life of me get it to mesh. I have a 17t pinion and can’t figure out how to get it meshed with the transmission. I’ve been getting so pissed lol

Your Rock Rey is going into haul with a 17t pinion. I'm running 2 over stock so 12? Are you sure you used the right mounting holes? Mine were incredibly hard to figure out.

My RR build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JackedDriver's R1 Build (non-specific purpose / just wanted a good build) JackedDriver G-Made Crawlers 12 01-12-2016 07:59 PM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM