Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Exotek HD front gearbox housing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Exotek HD front gearbox housing

For those considering buying this, I had to modify the top chassis plate for it to fit correctly.
They didn't make enough clearance for the chassis plate to sit all the way down. I had to file angles on the front and back inside edges.
This was on a baja rey for what it's worth.
I was too impatient during mid build to bother trying to send it back. Should've just spent $5 more on the SSD...
I also had to shim the pinion at least .5mm between the inside bearing and pinion itself, which seems to be a lot to me.
This is my PSA for the day.
Attached Images

Last edited by FastMatt; 02-18-2019 at 01:08 PM.
FastMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Exotek HD front gearbox housing

Sorry to hear that. The SSD also uses bigger bearings on the pinion (13 inner, 11 outer) vs Exotek (11 inner... 10 outer?) so even if all else were equal, the SSD bulkhead should hold up better. Hopefully, now that you've made it work, the Exotek unit will prove reliable for you. I know I hate when I feel like I coulda woulda shoulda bought a different part.

On the subject: does the Exotek bulkhead look to you as though it has been cast and then machined, as opposed to being machined from a billet? Maybe it's just the "tumbled" finish, but after seeing another Baja Rey with one locally, it certainly gave me that vibe.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I had the same issue when installing mine in a Rock Rey build. I did exactly as you did, I filed down the underside of that top plate just like your pics show.

As for the inside shims, I simply swapped the one flat washer from one side of the diff to the other.

Last edited by crunky; 02-24-2019 at 02:11 PM.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Sorry to hear that. The SSD also uses bigger bearings on the pinion (13 inner, 11 outer) vs Exotek (11 inner... 10 outer?) so even if all else were equal, the SSD bulkhead should hold up better. Hopefully, now that you've made it work, the Exotek unit will prove reliable for you. I know I hate when I feel like I coulda woulda shoulda bought a different part.

On the subject: does the Exotek bulkhead look to you as though it has been cast and then machined, as opposed to being machined from a billet? Maybe it's just the "tumbled" finish, but after seeing another Baja Rey with one locally, it certainly gave me that vibe.
Damn. I wish I would’ve paid attention to the bearing size differences. That alone would’ve made my decision 😢
Hopefully I’ve at least saved a few people from making the same mistake.

I’m 95% sure it’s machined from bar stock. Aside from all the rolled over tumbled edges, it does have tool marks everywhere. Whereas if it was cast, it wouldn’t need much outside machining.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #5

Exotek usually has high quality stuff. This is lame. And I also passed on them because they use stock size bearings.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I emailed Exotek about my issue to let them know about my disappointment with their product.
Got a response back saying mine has been the only complaint they’ve received about it. They said Losi has probably changed the top plate in some way and that they would look into it and change future batches of gearboxes. However, no offer to remedy the issue for me.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

What about the Hot Racing Gearbox? It seems to have even larger bearings than the SSD. Anyone running it?
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

From everything I read about doing the upgraded aluminum housing it's not so much the larger bearing benefactor as much as it's to do with the stock plastic housing flexing and causing improper gear mesh. The aluminum keeps the pinion shaft in place and doesn't allow flex.

Larger bearings certainly are nice, but I don't think it's the end all.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
From everything I read about doing the upgraded aluminum housing it's not so much the larger bearing benefactor as much as it's to do with the stock plastic housing flexing and causing improper gear mesh. The aluminum keeps the pinion shaft in place and doesn't allow flex.

Agree'd, I am sure the case material change is more important than the bearings. That said, they are basically the same price so if the Hot Racing unit is just as good in all other respects, I'd rather go with the larger bearings.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I got lucky enough to have picked mine up on a trade deal so I couldn't be too picky. When looking up the part number to make sure it would work on my rock rey I found it listed here cheap... ( the original owner of mine had purchased it for a baja rey )
http://dirtcheaprc.com/shop/exotek-r...-gear-box-set/
Old 02-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMatt View Post
I emailed Exotek about my issue to let them know about my disappointment with their product.
Got a response back saying mine has been the only complaint they’ve received about it. They said Losi has probably changed the top plate in some way and that they would look into it and change future batches of gearboxes. However, no offer to remedy the issue for me.
Often when a company says they've never had complaints about a product before they are lying.

Did you push the issue and ask for a replacement or refund?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Hope you're right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Often when a company says they've never had complaints about a product before they are lying.

Did you push the issue and ask for a replacement or refund?
I did not even reply back yet, but maybe I should. Then I could maybe have a spare
Old 02-26-2019, 12:10 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The exotek unit does use a larger bearing on the top side of the pinion input shaft, stock sized inner.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Yeah, that's the core of the matter, the plastic case is alarmingly thin, flexes under load/head leading to the mesh going bad and ruining the gears. The SSD bulkhead doesn't look like it's machined out a a higher hardness aluminium but the point is it keeps everything in one place and the fit and finish is spot on.

People have reported issues with bearings in the RR, but that's probably down to Horizon stuffing the RTR and kit with low quality bearings as opposed to size.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I bought one of these from the link above. Installed it and everything went together for me no issues.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote

Exotek HD front gearbox housing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish front diff housing Rumpelhardt Axial Yeti 1 10-02-2018 10:21 AM
Centered F9 Front Housing? What do YOU think?? DirtyChevy45 General Crawlers 53 11-10-2015 02:18 PM