Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Ring Gear to Diff Cup Gasket Thickness?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #1

Default Ring Gear to Diff Cup Gasket Thickness?

Hello all, I'm new to the RR and new to this forum. I just picked up a RR used and the rear diff was converted to a locker. All four ring gear screws were shorn off and the gasket was destroyed. I've ordered an Exotek diff cup but without the gasket the gear mesh will be wrong. I was thinking of just 3D printing the right thickness instead of buying a diff internals kit just to get the gasket. But - I don't know the thickness. Does anybody know that gasket thickness? Thanks!
ghargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Ring Gear to Diff Cup Gasket Thickness?

I would say just go ahead and buy the internals kit. Doesn’t hurt to have extra parts, and the parts can be used in another diff if needed. And the rear wasn’t converted to a locker. The rock Rey comes stock with rear locked. And finally, idk the validity of this, but it was suggested to me that if you’re doing one differential housing upgrade, you should do the other two as well or risk breaking parts. Just an FYI, you will need to find a way to ream out the screw holes on the ring gear a little bigger to accommodate the upgraded bigger screws that the Exotek housing uses. A standard drill bit will not do it. A titanium one should work or I used a Dremel carbide cutting bit. It’s the one in a sort of really small cone shape (not the sanding cone). Hope all that helps. Sorry if it’s long winded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #3

Default Re: Ring Gear to Diff Cup Gasket Thickness?

Thanks for your response - really good point about having the extra parts if needed someday. I ordered the Exotek diff cup from AMain, but I'll see if my LHS has the stock diff internals already in stock.
Good point about updating the front along with the rear.
Already on my list of upgrades for the front is the SSD front diff housing and Hot Racing CV Splined drive shafts. I'll add the Exotek diff cup to that list.
Thanks for the heads up on widening the holes on the ring gear. I should be able to get that done no problem!
Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

You have a center differential as well so 3 housings all together. Not too bad at $20 each. The SSD front bulkhead is a good choice and so is the SSD 3rd member for the rear. I don’t have any experience with the HR driveshafts though. SSD makes a nice rear steel driveshaft that I really like if you ever decide to do that. It’s all a money pit lol.

OpisOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #5

The RR I bought came with the SSD third member and SSD rear steel driveshaft. And the center diff is already locked as well.
So it sounds like I should pick up another TWO of the Exotek diff cups. Sweet.
I think I'm gonna turn down the punch control on the Mamba X until I can go through the entire drivetrain - oh, and new shaft drive pins.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Dont get the HR driveshafts they don’t last Iv had 2 batches and both snapped on the cv female part , they look nice but they can’t take the power and they aren’t cheap .

I refitted stock as they have never broken and there are still going strong now .

If your using diff fluid you will need a gasket which you could just make out of thin card (business card thickness ) but if your using a locker or diff putty you shouldn’t need it ,

I have the ssd front bulkhead in it which helps keep everything tight too,
the ssd stuff is really good much better than the HR stuff

willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghargreaves View Post
Thanks for your response - really good point about having the extra parts if needed someday. I ordered the Exotek diff cup from AMain, but I'll see if my LHS has the stock diff internals already in stock.

Good point about updating the front along with the rear.

Already on my list of upgrades for the front is the SSD front diff housing and Hot Racing CV Splined drive shafts. I'll add the Exotek diff cup to that list.

Thanks for the heads up on widening the holes on the ring gear. I should be able to get that done no problem!

Thanks again.

The rear diff is locked from the factory. Leave it that way.

The center diff was a normal open diff but, my experience and most here would probably agree, locking the center is a huge improvement. So i would leave that as well.

The front is also an open diff. Most leave it open or you can put some heavy weight diff lube in there to make it act like a limited slip. Locking it would really only be for crawling, but this doesnt seem like a crawling only kind of truck.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I cut a gasket out of a business card. Good enough for the girls we go out with.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #9

Thank you all for your responses.

Ring Gear to Diff Cup Gasket Thickness? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heavy Duty Ring and Pinion Diff Gear Options? GraciousOne Tamiya CR-01 2 02-05-2018 07:38 PM
Diff ring gear DaveGT Tamiya CR-01 0 10-23-2016 05:58 AM
7950th o-ring/gasket coming off? MRCCRAWLER1.9 Electronics 14 01-11-2011 04:58 PM
need a strong diff ring gear vtek Venom Creeper 2 04-07-2010 05:37 AM
Diff ring/pinion gear ratio? tetracanth Tamiya TLT Crawlers 2 01-06-2010 12:16 PM