Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Vaterra Twin Hammers Trailing Arms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Vaterra Twin Hammers Trailing Arms

I did a few posts on this in my build thread, but after getting the truck out a few times with the TH trailing arms in place, i feel this is one of the best mods ive done so far. It stiffens the rear suspension a bit which helps stability bashing, but it also helps the crawling immensely by shortening the wheelbase and improving the breakover.

Stock arm:

TH Arm:

Side by side:

I had to make new upper link. I used revo rod ends and M4 threaded rod. It seems like 121mm is just about perfect for allowing my Powerstroke shocks to use all their travel without binding the driveshaft:

The driveshaft had to be shortened. I had the hot racing CVD shaft which had an 80mm long center section. I bought the same shaft but for a Axial Wraith with a 40mm center section. Fit perfect:

The one thing I did have to do was mod the arms to accomodate the length of the Powerstroke XT shocks. I hogged out the bottom of the pocket for the shocks and the drilled new shock mounting holes lower in the arm:

Before I did this the shocks were bottoming out when the axle was still about .5” from the rear cage. Now, with the lower holes, the shocks bottom at the same time that the axle tubes hit the cage:

If you run the shorter factory shocks this wouldnt be an issue. It would fit perfect. Its only the longer 128mm powerstroke that would require this.

All in all i am very happy with this mod. Total cost was about $35 for TH arms and HR driveshaft.

Here is how long it is now:

Last edited by mass-hole; 08-07-2019 at 09:28 PM.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #2

Default Re: Vaterra Twin Hammers Trailing Arms

Can you post more pictures of the whole car and suspension travel? This is intriguing.
freshmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmas View Post
Can you post more pictures of the whole car and suspension travel? This is intriguing.

Full extension:

Full comp:

Full articulation:

This is the front view where i am also running powerstroke XT’s with shock tower extensions so I have far more travel:

You can see the rear tire just touch the cage at full flex. They dont catch or anything, just rub a little.

Last edited by mass-hole; 08-07-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #4

That is really cool. What length did your upper links end up being?

Last edited by freshmas; 08-07-2019 at 09:43 PM.
freshmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmas View Post
That is really cool. What length did your upper links end up being?

~121mm. Mostly to keep the driveshaft from binding at full droop.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:06 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Dangit. I need a new body for my Baja Rey and was planning to just get the newer Raptor body and be done with it.... but switching to TH arms (which I have, and never used from a previous project) would put me at damn near the same wheelbase as every other shortcourse truck on the market, opening up a ton of body possibilities (specifically the Proline '78 C10 stepside.)

Another upside is the shorter arms will have less leverage on the too soft original springs, effectively making the suspension stiffer. I might just give this a try, if I like the way it drives, I can order a nicer set of JEC trailing arms. It's all your fault.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Dangit. I need a new body for my Baja Rey and was planning to just get the newer Raptor body and be done with it.... but switching to TH arms (which I have, and never used from a previous project) would put me at damn near the same wheelbase as every other shortcourse truck on the market, opening up a ton of body possibilities (specifically the Proline '78 C10 stepside.)

Another upside is the shorter arms will have less leverage on the too soft original springs, effectively making the suspension stiffer. I might just give this a try, if I like the way it drives, I can order a nicer set of JEC trailing arms. It's all your fault.

The TH arms definitely firmed up the rear. I was having trouble getting it where i wanted it with the stock arms but its a bit stiffer and is more stable bashing.

Also, if you go with the Hot Racing TH arms they can be lengthened by 20mm with spacers they include, you could really dial in the shock ratio.

Last edited by mass-hole; 08-11-2019 at 08:57 PM.