Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Rock Rey a good Basher?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Rock Rey a good Basher?

I’m about done with my Yeti. I end up breaking something, lately front knuckle carrier and knuckle, every time I run it. I’m bashing it, but really not that hard. Parts are getting scarce, so I’m considering scrapping the yeti for parts and building a slash or buying something else. I could but a used or new slash and put the Yeti brushless setup in it, and some other parts I could use on my Bomber.

There is a nice Black Friday deal on the Rock Rey bind n drive, and I liked the Baja Rey when I saw it in the store last year. Does the Rock Rey make a good Basher, or is it fragile? I’m ok with investing in a few key parts (servo arm) but I don’t want to rebuild the whole rig with expensive parts like my Axial rigs.

My other two rigs are a very built bomber and a TRX4 Bronco with some basic mods, so I need/want something quick in the stable.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2019, 06:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rock Rey a good Basher?

Only parts I put on mine for durability are the SSD third member, Hot Racing aluminum steering rack, and aluminum steering horn. I changed my front/middle diff fluids to 5k/1M. I'm also not running any stock electronics (1800kv motor which would be 2/3 the speed of the stock motor, so mine's slower), so I can't speak on the durability of the electronics. Reviews rate this vehicle very high in terms of durability. My experience would reflect that opinion as well. Gave it some impressive air off anything I could launch it off of. Many jumps landed and cartwheeled in ways that I was certain that I broke something on the truck but haven't yet. No vehicle can't be broken, but this is a really tough vehicle.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Oh, also as far as quick, with "only" the 1800kv motor in mine running on 3s it's very fast. A bit of a white knuckle experience with handling at speed due to the tall tires, but covers ground quickly.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
I’m about done with my Yeti. I end up breaking something, lately front knuckle carrier and knuckle, every time I run it. I’m bashing it, but really not that hard. Parts are getting scarce, so I’m considering scrapping the yeti for parts and building a slash or buying something else. I could but a used or new slash and put the Yeti brushless setup in it, and some other parts I could use on my Bomber.

There is a nice Black Friday deal on the Rock Rey bind n drive, and I liked the Baja Rey when I saw it in the store last year. Does the Rock Rey make a good Basher, or is it fragile? I’m ok with investing in a few key parts (servo arm) but I don’t want to rebuild the whole rig with expensive parts like my Axial rigs.

My other two rigs are a very built bomber and a TRX4 Bronco with some basic mods, so I need/want something quick in the stable.
I might be interested in your yeti, if you sell.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
Only parts I put on mine for durability are the SSD third member, Hot Racing aluminum steering rack, and aluminum steering horn. I changed my front/middle diff fluids to 5k/1M. I'm also not running any stock electronics (1800kv motor which would be 2/3 the speed of the stock motor, so mine's slower), so I can't speak on the durability of the electronics. Reviews rate this vehicle very high in terms of durability. My experience would reflect that opinion as well. Gave it some impressive air off anything I could launch it off of. Many jumps landed and cartwheeled in ways that I was certain that I broke something on the truck but haven't yet. No vehicle can't be broken, but this is a really tough vehicle.
That sounds pretty reasonable. It looks like the tire foams are very soft leaving the tire without much structure for higher speeds. I have a new set of Voodoo U4 Silver tires with deuces wild foams and 1.5” wide 6 bolt wheels I could swap out. 5.5” diameter should still be plenty and I think the car would handle better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
Oh, also as far as quick, with "only" the 1800kv motor in mine running on 3s it's very fast. A bit of a white knuckle experience with handling at speed due to the tall tires, but covers ground quickly.
I would be running 3s, but I was thinking I would put a smaller pinion in to slow it down if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrashracing View Post
I might be interested in your yeti, if you sell.
If I buy the Rock Rey I’ll sell the Yeti complete. It certainly shows wear, but everything rolls smooth. There are lots of upgraded parts. From memory: The rear axle has beef tubes and a spool, upgraded upper and lower rear links (vanquish lowers, incision uppers I think). Dlux big bearing rear axle housing and front bulkhead, HD gears front and rear, RPM arms, Incision front axles, blue monkey front links, vanquish front shock mount, castle 10A BEC, axial aluminum motor plate, Robson Racing slipper clutch, China high torque servo, stock tires glued on CI 6 bolt wheels with deuces wild foams, etc.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:48 PM   #6

The Rock Rey is one of my favorite rigs, and has been solid for me. This would not be my choice for a basher though. The Slash would be a much better option, as parts seem to be cheaper, tons of options, and much easier to work on. Find a 4x4 vxl Slash, put some proline trenchers and a body lift on it. I bought gtr shocks to put on, but haven't needed yet, as the stock ultimate shocks have been working well w/ 60/50 oil.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk
roaoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:41 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks all. I didn’t end up buying the Rock Rey on sale for Black Friday. It was tempting, but I’m not running my rigs enough to purchase another one right now.

Rock Rey a good Basher? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Rock Rey/Baja Rey Third Member bearing fitment Achilles Fender General Crawlers 8 05-20-2021 03:34 PM
Thloftus’ Rock Rey Basher Thloftus Losi Rock Rey 95 03-21-2021 09:09 PM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM