Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Is the rock rey worth a buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Is the rock rey worth a buy?

Hi guys, so far the losi rock rey looks like a pretty solid rig.

Only initial out of the box complaints would be the crappy plastic servo horn, and while your're in there may as well add a bec and a better servo

And yes I've heard the tires are a little on the tall side, and cause rollovers as well as the center diff needs really thick diff fluid or the locker installed.

Horizon hobby has done some vial things in the meaning of replacement parts:
-rear driveshafts cannot buy the plastic tubes ($60 for the shafts and u joints and tubes) The front driveshafts you can buy new tubes, the rear you cannot...

I think I've pieced together an MIP fallback replacement for the rear driveshaft from the rock rey group (Rock Rey Aftermarket Thread)

I'm just curious the weakpoints from your guys point of view in terms of hard abuse too... I worry about the rear c clip rear end being a weak point. In general it looks pretty beefy tho...

I'm not a stranger to upgrading rc's lol and the rock rey will definitely get some upgrades lol...

I know it doesn't really crawl the best with the stock system, tends to cog, but I don't really care lol, didn't think of buying one to crawl lol, as a king of hammers do it all forest and trail basher, and maybe the occasional u4rc run if I could... If I wanted to I could add a sensored system later....

Thanks
-Spence

Last edited by Spence; 04-09-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Is the rock rey worth a buy?

Things that have failed on mine running 3S:

-Rear diff cup/screws
-Front diff cup/screws
-one front half shaft stripped
-one of the bearings in the rear diff cover spun which caused the pinion to walk and chew up my exotek diff cup
-misc stuff breaks when a roll it. Cage, front bumper, front shock tower once.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
Things that have failed on mine running 3S:

-Rear diff cup/screws
-Front diff cup/screws
-one front half shaft stripped
-one of the bearings in the rear diff cover spun which caused the pinion to walk and chew up my exotek diff cup
-misc stuff breaks when a roll it. Cage, front bumper, front shock tower once.
Would you still say its worth a buy? I mean I bet you bash really hard
Wished axial still made the bomber and the yeti, more of an axial fan, but the rock rey looks pretty sweet

Last edited by Spence; 04-10-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #4

I'd say yes. I bought the kit, but never finished it or ran it. Why? It's too big for scale crawling and trailing. I'm going to sell it because of that. But if you like bigger rigs they are great.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Whole I don't have the Rock Rey would be fantastic, I do have the Baja Rey, which the Rock Rey is based on. For the most part, these vehicles are identical. The biggest differences are at the front end - the front drivetrain, and suspension. These are not intended to "go slow" (ie. not for rock crawling, or trailing)...these are all-out desert racing vehicles, intended to go fast over a variety of terrains. If you've every watched an off-road desert race, such as the Mint 400, then you have an excellent idea of what the Baja Rey & Rock Rey are intended for.

Yes, there are some problems, but that can be said of almost any RTR, or kit. Thankfully, the problems can easily be fixed - replace bearings, replace steering servo, change shock oil weight, replace all three diff housings with aluminum housings (such as Exotek), replace bulkhead with aluminum bulkhead, strengthen or replace rear axle with aluminum, replaced rear driveshaft with steel, replace trailing arms & rear upper links with something other than plastic, and replace steering links with something other than plastic. After that, you should be good to go. There are other parts that can (optionally) be replaced, such as the front & rear shock towers, wheels, tires, etc...but, while suggested/recommended, doing so wouldn't actually be 'required'.

Best thing I can suggest is to watch several videos on YouTube...those covering actual running the vehicle, as well as those related to repairs & upgrades...as that should help you make the decision. While not truly "scale", the Rock Rey, and its Baja Rey are two of the more accurate "scale" desert off-road racers currently available. If you're interested in "scale", that can be done...there are at least a few threads where people have tired their RRs/BRs into scale vehicles, including some who built their own metal cage. If scale isn't your thing (for a RR/BR), then the hop-ups mentioned above will help you take either vehicle from 'good', to 'great'...it just takes some time (and money).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys, only if I had a job, got furloughed off(laid off) currently the covid thing is a pain lol

Should be a lot of fun once I can buy one lol
Old 04-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Thanks guys, only if I had a job, got furloughed off(laid off) currently the covid thing is a pain lol

If you're receiving unemployment benefits (which you should be, even if furloughed), that additional $600/wk federal "boost" kicks in this coming Sunday. Just saying..........

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 04-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Sorry to hear.

I have not been laid off(I did get a 5% pay cut which seems pretty mild all things considered) but i am hoarding my money right now as if I will be laid off just in case. Trying not spend money on RC parts or 1:1 car parts is proving incredibly difficult lol.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Wished axial still made the bomber and the yeti, more of an axial fan, but the rock rey looks pretty sweet

I mean the issues i have had are pretty damn common among the people here. It takes a bit of effort to bulletproof it for 3S and even then, you’ll still crack parts.

Or maybe im just a crappy driver, def possible.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
I mean the issues i have had are pretty damn common among the people here. It takes a bit of effort to bulletproof it for 3S and even then, you’ll still crack parts.

Or maybe im just a crappy driver, def possible.
Would you say the plastics are especially on the brittle side?
Old 04-10-2020, 01:55 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Would you say the plastics are especially on the brittle side?
Personally, I'd say "no"...the plastic is very good. If you have an Axial Capra, or any recent Traxxas release (with their "HD plastic", I'd say they're about equal. Not quite to the level of the plastic they use in their TLR line, but MUCH better than what I've heard the old Axial plastic was like. My Baja Rey has taken a few 'interesting' hits (on 2S), and nothing has broken. Even performed am aerial "corkscrew" (accidentally, of course...tho, I REALLY wish I had video), and it survived. Granted, I haven't run mine on 3S...yet...but only because I haven't installed the upgrades I mentioned above (I have most, but not all, of them, & awaiting the others).

Old 04-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I'm curious if the rock rey is u4rc legal? I mean yes it'd need some work to become better for racing, but are they u4rc legal?

Thanks guys for the help, really can't wait to get the rock rey when the time comes lol...
Old 04-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I've had mine for at least 2 yrs now. Great basher. Not as good as a Slash but looks better in my opinion. Broke a few things like trailing arms and blew up the weak azz servo. Once I swapped out those it has been solid. Running 3s and I rip it and jump it often. I like it better than my 2.2 Wraith, way better.

Quote:
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_Fernando View Post
I've had mine for at least 2 yrs now. Great basher. Not as good as a Slash but looks better in my opinion. Broke a few things like trailing arms and blew up the weak azz servo. Once I swapped out those it has been solid. Running 3s and I rip it and jump it often. I like it better than my 2.2 Wraith, way better.
Cool should be fun thanks

Is the rock rey worth a buy? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Rock Rey/Baja Rey Third Member bearing fitment Achilles Fender General Crawlers 8 05-20-2021 03:34 PM
Losi Rock Rey Kit to Baja Rey "KitConversion Parts List daign Losi Rock Rey 0 06-27-2018 07:49 PM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM