Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Will the diff cup screw mod hold up to abuse?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Will the diff cup screw mod hold up to abuse?

Hi guys, I'm just curious if the diff cup screw mod will allow me to just enjoy the rock rey for a while in that aspect without having to upgrade to exotek aluminum diff cups right away?

Cause I've considered this truck being a bit of a pain to work on lol..

Still sitting around just waiting for things to show up lol Don't even have my rock rey yet

Thanks
-Spence

Last edited by Spence; 04-16-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Will the diff cup screw mod hold up to abuse?

From what I've been able to determine, the "pain" is only if you have one of the Ford Raptor variants, which (out of the box) requires the removal of 26 screws to get inside. The other versions only require 12 screws to be removed. However, I came up with an idea to eliminate that 26 screw retirement, bringing it down to the same 12 screws as the non-Raptor variants:

Get either a 200mm servo Y-cable, or a dual-servo adapter cable & servo extension cable (either of these options will allow both lightbars to be placed into a single Rx channel, thus freeing up the 4th channel for something else (such as a bumper-mounted lightbar?). Yes, you'd need to remove 26 screws the first time...but only the 'standard' 12 after that. Plug both lightbars into the 2 plugs in the Y-cable, or dual-servo adapter (and that into the servo extension), and that's it. From now on, the cable for the lightbars will be long enough that you won't have to deal with those other 14 screws, just do you can unplug the lightbars...you can remove the cage using the 12-screw method, then implied the lightbars.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, gotta keep on waiting lol, the covid debacle is wreaking havoc on shipping and shipping times among other scary and necessary things
I'm a pretty anxious person, so it turns into extreme impatience
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:53 AM   #4

From what I’ve seen, the screw mod holds up with 2s. When going to 3s you’ll start seeing the weak points.
amanc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yes ,..I had a 1/8th system in mine and never held back what does snap after the diff screw mod is the screw pins found in the hex hubs but that is quite easily a field fix as opposed to diff screws buried deep lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Will the diff cup screw mod hold up to abuse? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diff cup mod BarHarborBasher Axial Yeti XL 7 09-07-2016 07:39 PM
Diff Cup Problems pro mod steve Axial Yeti XL 16 07-28-2016 05:17 PM
Is Mental Abuse Worse Than Physical Abuse (Life In Japan) TheHeadHunter Chit Chat 8 02-04-2009 06:52 AM
Delrin leaves that hold up to abuse? 666 General Scale Talk 51 11-28-2008 02:43 PM
What size screw/bolt to hold tire on? Chuki General Crawlers 2 02-02-2006 11:16 AM