RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Losi Rock Rey (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-rock-rey/)
-   -   Well, ran my rock rey for the first time lol, have some questions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/losi-rock-rey/617420-well-ran-my-rock-rey-first-time-lol-have-some-questions.html)

Spence 04-18-2020 03:36 PM

Well, ran my rock rey for the first time lol, have some questions

Hi guys, a little disappointed, for $400 I think horizon hobby could have done better on the rock rey. I like construction of the truck and what not, I think It has potential.

I've kinda known that in rc culture "RTR" means "ready to throw away right"

I'm all in the name for making things better"thumbsup"

Mine has the upgraded servo horn with the metal inserts out of the box which is good.

On 2s, this thing has ok speed, and the servo is truly the most pathetic servo ever its slower than a slug trying to climb up a slimy hill...
The servo makes the truck pretty much unusable...

Pretty much gonna gut it like a fish, all the electronics haha :D

I have a castle mamba x sct 3800kv 4pole 1410 sensored combo, as well as a shift rc's s2 brushless servo kicking around, I remember that brushless mamba x raised hell in my bomber on 3s and crawled fantastic, not sure if it'd work great in my rey or not. Guess I'd have to experiment...

Primarily I'd want to run 2s on that combo.

Thanks
-Spence

willyg1981 04-18-2020 03:53 PM

Re: Well, ran my rock rey for the first time lol, have some questions

Hiya buddy
Don’t let it put you off ,
it is part of the hobby to make it better lol ,
and as you’ve realised it’s not hard ,
Yes the spare combo will make a good replacement
Do you have a castle link ? If not get one and tune the combo to get the most from it you might be able to use the mamba instead of a bec if it’s got the option if not get a BEC and hard wire it in,
I did say the servo was junk !!
No loss of drive from the sounds of it though which is a good thing [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spence 04-18-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willyg1981 (Post 6015029)
Hiya buddy
Don’t let it put you off ,
it is part of the hobby to make it better lol ,
and as you’ve realised it’s not hard ,
Yes the spare combo will make a good replacement
Do you have a castle link ? If not get one and tune the combo to get the most from it you might be able to use the mamba instead of a bec if it’s got the option if not get a BEC and hard wire it in,
I did say the servo was junk !!
No loss of drive from the sounds of it though which is a good thing [emoji106]

Cool:) Thanks! I always liked the mamba x cause of the beefy internal bec, castle link also has to many adjustable things its crazy lol.. Welp gonna gut the rock rey like a fish, all electronics out :D

willyg1981 04-18-2020 04:14 PM

Top man ,..hope your screws get to you before the electronics are finished ,
Take note of the placement on the motor plate ,..the 1515 motor was a real headache to find the correct location [emoji106]

Spence 04-18-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willyg1981 (Post 6015036)
Top man ,..hope your screws get to you before the electronics are finished ,
Take note of the placement on the motor plate ,..the 1515 motor was a real headache to find the correct location [emoji106]

Thanks:) My stock front dogbone shaft unfortunately is bent :( I highly doubt it was me, was so gentle on the thing:cry:
Likely out of the box

I've had this happen out of the box with my arrma kraton, was bent before I even ran it! Factory issue

willyg1981 04-18-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 6015042)
Thanks:) My stock front dogbone shaft unfortunately is bent :( I highly doubt it was me, was so gentle on the thing:cry:
Likely out of the box

I've had this happen out of the box with my arrma kraton, was bent before I even ran it! Factory issue

Ah no way man :( this bit you mean the central drive shaft ? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...85d7dab68c.jpg
Iv seen the pins at either end off centre but never seen a bent one , that sucks if it is , I’d try and get a free replacement as that will most definitely cause vibration issues and cause stuff to come loose quicker !
That’s just reminded me , all the screw pins were red thread locked so be aware if removing them you need heat a soldering iron or small wind proof lighter ! [emoji23]

Spence 04-18-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willyg1981 (Post 6015060)
Ah no way man :( this bit you mean the central drive shaft ? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...85d7dab68c.jpg
Iv seen the pins at either end off centre but never seen a bent one , that sucks if it is , I’d try and get a free replacement as that will most definitely cause vibration issues and cause stuff to come loose quicker !
That’s just reminded me , all the screw pins were red thread locked so be aware if removing them you need heat a soldering iron or small wind proof lighter ! [emoji23]

Yeah the center shaft itself its bent. Tried bending it back hard, since it didn't want to bend back, leads me to believe it was manufactured improperly. They're on full internet back order till mid may :(

Really this isn't going to stop me from running it lol :D I am very particular but I think it can still be run...

But I think I managed to score a takeoff center dogbone for $10 shipped on eBay"thumbsup"

willyg1981 04-18-2020 05:57 PM

Yeah you won’t bend it back ,...feckin typical that is , hav you searched for the part no ? Los232010 ?
If you’ve got one the. No worries but I find the part no search always brings stuff up you wouldn’t find normally [emoji106]

Spence 04-18-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willyg1981 (Post 6015069)
Yeah you won’t bend it back ,...feckin typical that is , hav you searched for the part no ? Los232010 ?
If you’ve got one the. No worries but I find the part no search always brings stuff up you wouldn’t find normally [emoji106]

Yeah I tried exact part numbers lol, hope this is legit, it was super cheap:mrgreen:

This corona virus deal has made me extremely impatient lol

Thanks

Panther6834 04-18-2020 09:09 PM

UPGRADES are a big part of what the RTR side of this hobby is about. CaliCrawler had been working on his since he got it a month ago. I got mine within a week after, but just started my upgrades today. I'll be creating an "upgrade thread" (since it's not a kit, I can't exactly refer to it as a "build thread") before the end of tonight, if you're interested.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place [emoji1690]

el_Fernando 04-20-2020 12:55 PM

Panther6834 post your build thread man!

I've had mine for 2 yrs running on 2s and 3s. Changed out servo, servo horn, trailing arms and upper links. Just swapped out the upper shock tower with HR aluminum one. Rig is pretty solid.
Only must do is the servo if you ask me.

Panther6834 04-20-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el_Fernando (Post 6015561)
Panther6834 post your build thread man!

I've had mine for 2 yrs running on 2s and 3s. Changed out servo, servo horn, trailing arms and upper links. Just swapped out the upper shock tower with HR aluminum one. Rig is pretty solid.
Only must do is the servo if you ask me.

I posted the first entry a couple nights ago. Look for a thread titled:

The Black Cat 'Hops Up' the Rey, Baja Style

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place [emoji1690]

amanc96 04-20-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 6015042)
Likely out of the box

OH NO! You were asking about the that part being an issue! Sorry man! Hope the one you found is right. Like you said earlier, that parts out of stock until May.