Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: New Rock Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New Rock Rey

Hi everyone. I have a Rock Rey on order with my local hobby store. Should be here either today or Monday (wahoo!). My first real RC was a TRX4 earlier this year, and this will be my first “fast” RC, so I have some questions...

Like basically all RTRs, I’ve read that the first thing to replace on this rig is the stock servo.

I have a Savox 1212sg servo in my TRX-4 that I’d be willing to move right over to the Rock Rey. Two questions there that I’d like some input on...

This Savox 1212sg is a powerful but pretty slow servo; is the servo fast enough for the Rock Rey?

Does anyone know the voltage output to servo on the stock ESC? I do not have an external BEC.

https://www.savoxusa.com/products/sa...gh-torque-high

I also will quickly consider upgrading to beadlock wheels. Does anyone have thoughts on whether it’s better to try to keep the wheels plastic to minimize weight load on the motor, or are aluminum wheels usually still light enough that it doesn’t overburden the motor during throttle/braking.

I’ll be running on 3s.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slothRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New Rock Rey

Congrats on the new Rey! The stock servo on it is pretty weak, that Savox servo you have will be a solid upgrade and should be fast enough. Oh, the stock servo is 23t so you'll need to get a 25t servo horn for the Savox. The losi aluminum horn for the rock rey is actually pretty good. The bec on the esc is set at 6v and can't be changed as far as I'm aware of. As far as the wheels go, the stock plastic ones hold up pretty well but the crazy soft tire foams will drive you insane as they fold over while cornering. Al rims don't really put any strain on the stock electronics so you're good there. The rock rey is a lot of fun but it's a wild beast on 3s! You might want to get a 2s battery for it as well. Depending on where you are driving, the 2s is more controllable.

You're going to have a blast with it! Oh, and watch a video or two on how to remove the cage to get inside...you don't have to remove the body panels to do so.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:04 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
Congrats on the new Rey! The stock servo on it is pretty weak, that Savox servo you have will be a solid upgrade and should be fast enough. Oh, the stock servo is 23t so you'll need to get a 25t servo horn for the Savox. The losi aluminum horn for the rock rey is actually pretty good. The bec on the esc is set at 6v and can't be changed as far as I'm aware of. As far as the wheels go, the stock plastic ones hold up pretty well but the crazy soft tire foams will drive you insane as they fold over while cornering. Al rims don't really put any strain on the stock electronics so you're good there. The rock rey is a lot of fun but it's a wild beast on 3s! You might want to get a 2s battery for it as well. Depending on where you are driving, the 2s is more controllable.

You're going to have a blast with it! Oh, and watch a video or two on how to remove the cage to get inside...you don't have to remove the body panels to do so.

Thanks for this! Great info. I have a couple of spare aluminum 25t servo horns, so I should be good there.

The crazy soft tire foams is what I’ve read about and why I figured I’d get beadlocks so that I don’t have to reglue when replacing the stock foams. I figure I’ll boil the wheels to remove the stock tires, replace the foams with dual stage, then install stock tires on new wheels. I think I’ve read I the stock tires are good, it’s the foams that are the problem? Are the Proline 2.2 XL dual stage foams firm enough, do you think?

Thanks for the tip about 3s craziness. It’s a good tip to pick up a 2s lipo just in case I like that better. Does it make sense long term to change the pinion to the smallest compatible and run in 3s, or is 2s with stock gearing absolutely plenty power/speed? Sorry, I know it’s not apples to apples but my only personal comparison is the completely unacceptable performance of 2s in my TRX4 vs 3s giving the whole thing the power it needs.

Also, I just had a thought. I’m going to need to replace the servo on my TRX4 if I take it for the Rock Rey. I could put the TRX’s servo back and purchase one for the RR if it makes more sense. Do you have a recommendation for a $50-$80ish servo that would be better suited for the Rock Rey than the 1212sg? I’m guessing I can get away with a little less power and more speed on this rig since it’s lighter than my TRX4 and won’t see as much hard crawling.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slothRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The proline 2.2 XL dual stage foams will work perfectly. As far as the servo goes, I'm using the Savox 1210sg. At times I think it's plenty for the Rock Rey, but if I'm on a super grippy surface it seems like it's struggling to turn the big 2.2 tires as forcefully as I want. Maybe I'm just getting spoiled lol.
For the gearing, run stock (12t) for a little while and see what works for for you. I've tried everything from a 10t-14t on 2s and 3s and the 12t seems to be the sweet spot for me and my bad driving lol. Changing pinions only takes a couple minutes, probably the easiest thing to change on the Rey lol.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote

New Rock Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Rock Rey/Baja Rey Third Member bearing fitment Achilles Fender General Crawlers 8 05-20-2021 03:34 PM
Losi Rock Rey Kit to Baja Rey "KitConversion Parts List daign Losi Rock Rey 0 06-27-2018 07:49 PM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM