Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Hammer Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2022, 09:51 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Thumbs up Losi Hammer Rey

Looks like there's another addition to the Rey family of vehicles: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product.../LOS03030.html

It looks like it is closer to the RR than it is to the BR based on what appears to be RR front suspension. It definitely looks nicer than the RR! The wheelbase is much longer at 17.2" which comes from a longer chassis top/bottom plate and center driveshaft, which means the cage won't swap onto RR/BR. They also finally put bigger pinion bearings in the front and rear diffs as well as a secondary shock on the trailing arms. I can't make out the tire size, but it *looks* like the typical 2.2" wheel with 5.75"(ish) rubber. I wonder if a 1/6 Super Hammer Rey will follow suit?

I'm guessing this release is why they had a blowout sale on the Bombers in the last week or 2? I certainly don't need another car, but, I mean, I already have a Baja Rey, and a Rock Rey, so...
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2022, 01:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Losi Hammer Rey

Sweet mother....that is a nice rig ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j34VgcrL8Q
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 06:08 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I’ve nearly bought a Rock Rey a few times over the years and I’m glad I’ve held out because this one is way cooler. Stopped by the local shop on my way home and put an order in for a red one.

Seeing a pic of it next to 1/7 scale UDR makes you realize how far from 1/10 scale this thing really is:

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:34 AM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

Can’t say I don’t want one...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:24 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Put remote locking diffs on it to make it perform for what the scale application was designed for, then they can take my money.

Last edited by OnTheTrail; 04-29-2022 at 01:15 PM.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:39 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

It's a rad looking truck. If I hadn't just bought a monster truck I'd be interested. I've always wondered why there aren't more RTR Ultra 4 rigs. They're the coolest looking and performing rigs in my opinion.

Considering my 10.3 Bronco cost about the same, but this truck is way more capable, I'd buy it if I had $700 burning a hole in my pocket. I'll likely eventually have one.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 11:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

And thanks for the UDR comparison photo. Now I see how large the trophy jeep is.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:05 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

https://youtu.be/DttTa06vzBs

i dont know why these guys dont stop in when there in my back yard filming
atleast stop by and say high were gona film on your back 40
and maybe a hay heres a new toy truck i mean is that to much to ask

Last edited by ferp420; 05-01-2022 at 12:07 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:28 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Yeah... I want a 1/6 one, that's like 4 feet long.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I doubt they blew out Axial 1/10th rigs to make way for a Losi 1/7th rig. I know its all Horizon now, but still two different companies in Axial and Losi.

I suspect to see an Axial 1/6th rig. Likely a rock racer platform before a crawler platform with another jeep body.

I like it. Thought of a SBR myself. Especially with the 2.0 version. Not got one....
May end up with one of these in my stable. But still thinking Axial has something about to drop.
Just a gut feeling.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:14 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
Yeah... I want a 1/6 one, that's like 4 feet long.
that would be more about 1/4 or 1/3rd scale. lol
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
that would be more about 1/4 or 1/3rd scale. lol
I was exaggerating, but yeah... haha. If they scale it up the same as the Baja rey compared to a super Baja rey, a super hammer rey would be ~43" long... I'm in!

Last edited by DRED805; 05-01-2022 at 10:21 AM.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
I doubt they blew out Axial 1/10th rigs to make way for a Losi 1/7th rig. I know its all Horizon now, but still two different companies in Axial and Losi.

I suspect to see an Axial 1/6th rig. Likely a rock racer platform before a crawler platform with another jeep body.

I like it. Thought of a SBR myself. Especially with the 2.0 version. Not got one....
May end up with one of these in my stable. But still thinking Axial has something about to drop.
Just a gut feeling.
Actual scale aside, it's not marketed as 1/7, it's still labeled as 1/10, just like a Bomber. By their crappy math, that would make a "1/6" version have a 28.7" wheelbase and 44" overall length.

If you've ever driven a Bomber at speed (say 25mph+), you'd know they don't handle worth a crap and any of the Rey's would mop the floor with it, yet that's the niche the Bomber was trying to fill. The opposite could be said when it comes to crawling though, even with locked diffs, the Reys are terrible at it with their giant belly pans, long wheelbases, wide track widths, and proportionately smaller tires. Problem is, U4 isn't as focused on technical crawling as it is bashing your way through exceptionally rough terrain so the typical target buyer of a U4 rig is going to favor the one that handles speed better, yet can still get through some rocks. You may recall how Horizon murdered the Yeti when the Baja Rey came out (handled speed better) and drove the last nail in its coffin with the release of the Rock Rey (could also get through some rocks)? I guess I never considered this an attempt to go after the UDR, but clearly it's going to take *some* sales from it since besides the body/cage they have similar architecture and size. I'm not saying it's going to be worth a damn at crawling either, but at least they narrowed the chassis significantly and added legit boatsides to the cage so that should help... but the longer chassis won't.

I'm intrigued, but I'll wait until I've seen one run in person before deciding if there's a hole in my lineup that this can fill.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:05 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

For sure getting one. We are building a new U4 track at our club and this will be perfect.

s
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:28 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
axial already did that and considering the utter failure of that xl model i dought they will try again

infact i think the yxl was the start to the end of axial under hobbie co

they couldent keep any parts in stock after that and i dont think they relesed anything new untill after horizon took over

losi dose go fast much better axial dose rock crawling much better
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I had my lhs order one in red for me the day I saw it without even seeing the price. I love the rey platform! The baja rey with some upgrades is bulletproof and can be more than fast enough on 3s but I didn’t run it enough so I let it go. I got a Sbr 1.0 from a friend and on 6s it’s absurdly fast!

So I have very high expectations for the hammer rey…. Honestly the first run wasn’t as good as I would’ve hopped. For a 3150 on 3s it seemed awfully slow. I mean I ran a 3600kv on 3s in the baja and it was perfect. Anyways the truck didn’t handle as good as I would’ve hoped, it seemed way too light, too slow and would flip over if you looked at it wrong. It also seemed to break something in the axle before the first pack. Mind you I did run it on a gravel parking lot

After talking to one of the guys at the lhs who also got one I was told one of the issues with how slow it was could be caused by the avc. Which they are correct. The broken axle turns out to be a stripped passenger side rear wheel!

Personally I think this truck has some amazing potential. It’s like every single rtr, it definitely needs upgrades. The stock steering servo is wayyy too weak for this thing, but every rtr servo sucks. To me the avc system needs to go asap. An ifs/solid rear truck should turn from the rear. Plus this thing DESPERATELY needs aluminum wheels and stiffer foams. The stock foams belong on a dedicated crawler, not a u4 inspired rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:15 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

It’s a bit of an odd beastie. It’s huge. It’s scary fast on the straights, even when it doesn’t look fast, due to its size. But, good luck getting a clean, straight launch, even wìth AVC it violently veers to one side, while fully lifting one front wheel. The puny swaybar hidden between the shocks is a joke. Only after I fabricated a rear swaybar by drilling a hole thróugh the fake fuelcell, epoxi-ying a 6mm carbon tube in it, with a springsteel 3mm bar inside, and some fleabay bought arms, did it have a semblance of stability at launch and at top speed. Though, in all honesty, the Rock Rey, Baja Rey and even the Yeti had the same unpleasant character, the Baja Rey was even worse. (Still got all 3 ) By the by, Vitavon already has working rear-sways for the Hammer Rey. They’re about $70.- excl shipping.

Afa speed goes, I used my trusty flysky gps, and it clocked a tick under 65km/h @ 3s with a 50c GensAce pack about éverywhere ( ! ) Plénty fast fot its top-heavy construction. Even the Ryft ( wìth rear sways, mind You) feels less scary and squirrily at speed. The Hammer Rey is a tumbleweed. Anything resembling cornering on high-grip surfaces will roll it, even on very moderate speeds.

And ‘crawling’? You can just forget about it, its crawling is absolute pants, due to 3 open diffs. It diffs-out at about every undulation. It needs the rear locked at the least to have sóme semblance of crawlability. But. A big ‘but’ it’s not mèant to do that…

After a bit of pondering its rather crappy behaviour, I took it to a sandy beach.. and it started to make sense. It was very controllable, drifting, sliding, and even jumping suddenly became predictable, controllable and FUN! The long wheelbase kept it surprisingly stable, even while wagging its tail due to the AVC, on the super loose stuff. It even ran admirably on pebbly and rocky bits, as long as the rocks weren’t bigger than, say, hafway up the wheels. ‘Scale’ so to say. ( Rock Rey still runs circles around it on the rocky bits, though)

I’d say the first things to ‘fix’ are:

A) A way stronger and faster steering servo
B) Thick, maybe even 4mm, swaybars at the rear (Vitavon has those already)
C) Double the thickness of silicone fluid in the diffs
D) A lock in the rear differential if You want to conquer the really rough stuff, preferably remote lockable.

After that maybe a stronger/bigger motor. The puny 3660 is struggling, and gets quite warm. Not dangerously, but still. ( Losi knéw that, it has the biggest heat-sink I ever saw, clipped on the motor) It néeds a 41-sized can, or at the least a 3670, provided it fits lengthwise.

After a couple of packs I realized that the 2200kv motor from the Ryft would have been a better choice, if only Losi hadn’t stubbornly held-on to the 3s max sized battery cradle. In it’s current state it gobbles amps like mad. I get max 15 to 17 minutes on a 3s 5000mah. With 2s a little longer, say 18 minutes, because the load in f.i. Braking is less. (No brake energy going back in, apparently.. a Tesla it’s not.. )

Well. These are my first thoughts after playing with the Hammer Rey for about a week.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 05-31-2022 at 06:06 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:29 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

A look at my really butt-ugly solution for a rear sway that actually wòrks.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2022, 11:38 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I'd have to agree with pretty much everything Jay em says.

I've had mine for two weeks and have only 5 packs through it.

Grass, concrete, or any hard surface and this thing rolls.
Its long, narrow, fast ( for its size and 3s ) and the tires have 90 degree sidewalls to surface area.

Best way to keep it planted is on loose media and turn at about 1/2 throttle and as soon as you turn power right into it to break traction & slide rooster tail turns.

I plan on ordering the new sway bar this week since it does in fact suffer from tourqe twist pretty bad.

I have one locker coming for the rear that shipped today. (May 31st)

It has way to much tourqe & speed to climb with such open diffs.
It will either sit & spin or cog out. If you get lucky to hook up it will launch it over most obstacles and into the air.
Ant then between the tourqe twist and battery on the passenger side it flys very right leaning and lands front heavy on the right passenger side.

With luck you can plant it nice on a landing but thats more luck then anything.
I have a feeling the vids we are seeing on Utube with it flying & landing nice are heavily edited to remove all the right side landings and shiny side down bounce.

I reall like it however its a whole other style of driving and I'm a huge king of hammers fan.

Think of driving a hotdog in a bun.
Long & narrow........

Like any rtr it's just a base & body to build off of.
I'll probably be locking the center after the rear and putting just a small pinch of tamiya putty up front to semi lock the front.
I also plan on putting some weight on the driver side across from the battery to level it out.
Off setting such a heavy 3s and running the. Motor/electronics down the middle make the left side super light.

While auto lockers would be nice I have them on my trx-4 I don't think I'd put them on this since its a racer trophy truck.
I wanna get it setup so i learn to drive it in just one style so i know its limitations and won't have any variables like locked or not.
armalite_ar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:36 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Did a tiny bit of painting and detailing the exhaust. The closed ends looked weird, so I epoxied actual pipes in it. Paint is a mixture of Tamiya Gold Titanium and Tamiya Silver titanium.
You can also just see the 110mm Desert Lizard 2nd shocks. Filled with 100cpl it eases the wild hopping at the back, combined with the jury-rigged sways, it at least launches somewhat straight. Still a tumbleweed in the corners, though.

I got aluminium rear upper- and lower arms on order. Maybe a bit of weight low-down will help lessen its tumbleweed habits. Locking the rear diff will be the next step.
Did a nasty discovery: The outgoing coupling from the gearbox to the rear axle already has a serious bit of wobble. Apparently blown bearings will be a thing with the Hammer Rey too. Though, the rear axle now has a proper 5x11 in it. After shredding 3bearings in the Baja Rey, it’s nice that Losi at least fixed that.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jay-Em; 06-05-2022 at 07:44 AM.

Losi Hammer Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Rock Rey Kit to Baja Rey "KitConversion Parts List daign Losi Rock Rey 0 06-27-2018 07:49 PM
VP Currie F9 Axles for Losi Rock Rey and Baja Rey - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-27-2017 01:29 PM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM