LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Default Best rock crawler

What is the best crawler out the box.
slim1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #2

Default Re: Best rock crawler

Are you looking for a ready to run or kit?
urbanassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #3

There are scale crawlers scx-10 are awesome and come ready to run or kit. Losi night crawler comes ready to run, while the losi comp crawler is a kit, designed for competition. I own the comp crawler and don't see my self seriously competing but it has cool features built in like front and rear dig.

The axial xr-10 is a motor on axle, it's cheap atty $169 and a monster in it's own right, but you have to buy tires..another $50 then buy a dual motor setup. You could go with one of the Novak brushed setups cheap but if you go brushless your looking $260 one the cheap end, then a $100 for a servo once again on the cheap end.

Set you're budget realistically, then know what you want like I posted before the $100 venom well crawl when you add $100 more to it, it can be impressive especially for the money. So can the comp crawler..out of the box it's Pretty amazing.

The axial wraith is also a good trick that comes rtr or kit. Like the sx-10 it won't do what a purpose built rock crawler will but it's faster on flat ground.

There are also the cheap rtr madtorque crawler from nitro rc.com. From what I see these also have a following and many other name brand crawler parts will fit them. But there not the best out of the box..hoped this helped.

Last edited by urbanassault; 01-09-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #4

It can be a kit I like putting stuff together.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
On the lookout for Rocks

Any of the Axial kits
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

I like the losi comp crawler, and the axial, but I wanted the venom..
Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I currently own the Axial SCX, Wraith, XR-10, the Losi Comp Crawler and a few other misc vehicles.

I also owned the Venom Creeper for a very short while.

Out of all these that I listed, I had more breakage on the Creeper than on all the others combined.

It really depends on what type of crawling you want to do, but for a non-scale type crawler, I will recommend a Losi Comp Crawler or Night Crawler. Mine has been absolutely bomb proof for 8+ months with plenty of 6'+ falls and some waddings that should have broken something.

Above all, I'd say go and watch the local guys and see what is popular. Things tend to be popular because they're good.

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #8

I don't remember if I told you I own the losi comp and love it so , and you can get them $189 just put in the electrics and go.you want a 3ch radio so you can use the dig

Oh, and don't get a 55t motor like I did..lol glad I only paid $12 for it..
Old 01-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #9

What motor should i get with it?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #10

Check the losi comp crawler thread. But the comp was designed for a brushless setup. I thought I blew my motor, I cleaned it, sanded the brushes and it worked. next time it got so hot the positive lead became un soldered. Put it back on. Yesterday on my rock pile.it popped again.haven't looked at it since. I've had the truck for a week and 3 days now. That was on an old Orion 15t brushed motor, the comp gear reduction is so low that a 55t will make it super slow. I'm going to swap to a brushless 18.5 or 13.5 Novak ballistic motor on my castle sidewinder esc.. Problem should be gone after that..

The best brush motor seems to be the 21 turn traxxas turn motor which is dirt cheap, on likea 11 or 12 tooth pinion.

Search it there ate plenty of threads on hl here about it..

Last edited by urbanassault; 01-09-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggermirage View Post
I currently own the Axial SCX, Wraith, XR-10, the Losi Comp Crawler and a few other misc vehicles.

I also owned the Venom Creeper for a very short while.

Out of all these that I listed, I had more breakage on the Creeper than on all the others combined.

It really depends on what type of crawling you want to do, but for a non-scale type crawler, I will recommend a Losi Comp Crawler or Night Crawler. Mine has been absolutely bomb proof for 8+ months with plenty of 6'+ falls and some waddings that should have broken something.

Above all, I'd say go and watch the local guys and see what is popular. Things tend to be popular because they're good.

Marcus

Is there big diffeence between the Losi Comp Crawler and the Night Crawler ?
I think there were some parts from what I know, what can you tell me...
essence25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

The respective pages for each can tell you more than what I can as I haven't owned a LNC, only worked with a couple..

TL Comp Crawler Roller:

1/10 Comp Crawler Race Roller (LOSA0051): Team Losi Racing

Losi Night Crawler:

Losi: 1/10 Night Crawler RTR: Losi (LOSB0104)

Just off of the top of my head, here are the differences that I know of:

LCC/LNC

Dig transmission/Standard transmission
Aluminum suspension and steering links/Plastic links
Molded CV style center Driveshafts/Dogbone Driveshafts
Color scheme differences
No lights/Rock lights
Battery and electronics mounting platforms different
Aluminum threaded shocks/Plastic bodies shocks
TiNi Shock Shafts/Standard Chrome shafts
ARR/RTR

There are probably other differences, but I can't think of them at the moment.

As far as crawling capabilities, they are about on-par with each other. Durability winner will be the LCC just because of the part material selection.

Either one, I would recommend getting the HD worm gears immediately. They're worth every penny.

I bought the LCC to have dig capability although I mainly use the rig in the sporty classes anymore and rarely use dig on it. That's what the XR-10 is for.

Marcus

Last edited by Draggermirage; 02-21-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

As much as I may be disputed, I love my creeper. 2+ years and only one break. The older kits had major issues but mine has been awesome. My scx-10 has never had issues either. I comp the creeper and bash the axial. The main thing with the creeper I guess is it can start off as an entry lever and be full on comp ready when modified. I even picked up a sponsor after my creeper hit lines a few moa's couldn't. Just my. 02.

I will say that the LCC is a awesome Crawler for the cash too. Personal preference that I kept the creeper and sold the lcc.
zukdogz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #14

Interesting, I've checked out the creeper and kinda like it... So for basing, the axial? What was changed in the newer creeper kit that was problematic in the old kit?
essence25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

The axle pins would back out on the older kits. Now they have a retainer. Diffs were problematic but a little jb weld will fix them. Lots of upgrades that you can do for little or no money. Best thing about a creeper is venoms customer service. Broken part, just email them and a new one will be on its way usually the next day. Can't beat that!
zukdogz400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Best rock crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Micro Rock Crawler 2 Mini Rock Crawler? netsurfr Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 02-03-2011 11:11 AM
Any Rock Rider 1/10 Rock Crawler Prebuild ARTR morocho1979 2.2 Scale Rigs 0 09-01-2010 12:25 PM
Kyosho Rock Force or Losi Mini Rock Crawler? YSL General Crawlers 22 06-06-2009 09:59 PM
Getting ready to get my first Rock Crawler, which one, the Rock Force or Axial AX10? ragfire10 Newbie General 11 03-04-2009 06:02 PM