Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Maine

Notices

Thread: My Modified Rc4wd Trail Stomper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My Modified Rc4wd Trail Stomper

This started out as a new Rc4wd Trail Stomper. Converted to 4 link with custom top link axle mounts. Has an Ax10 skid and side plates as a cradle for the ax10 trans with DNA rear dig. Redcat Ground Pounder links and Locked HPI Wheelie King axles with aluminum lock outs on the rear and aluminum hub carriers and steering link. Running rear Traxxas slash shock and springs. Need to get some paint on the bumpers. Other then that this build is done. Great articulation for a truck that had almost none. This will be the truck im running at Bradbury Mountain. A vast hodgepodge of parts , Custom made bumpers. Getting a little more daring now that I have a nice micro torch. Here's some pictures.

Androtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My Modified Rc4wd Trail Stomper

Little update. Been trying to gear up just a tad for some wheel speed. Since I don't have time to wait for the gears I wanted. I had to settle for the standard 48 pitch ,87t spur and 14t pinion combo I had. I was at 5.11:1 . Then what do I notice on my bench. 32 pitch spur that was a spare to my slash 4x4. with a 54t spur and a 11t pinion, im now at 4.9090:1 . I wasn't expecting a big difference . Boy was I wrong. Had to drill 3 holes to match the coupling on the ax10 trans. Works great and with the beefy 32 pitch gears, I think im right at where I wanted to be. This weekends run will tell me if im right. Will get some pics up of the new set up when I get the bumpers painted and she's finished.

Last edited by Androtaz; 02-12-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

What are you using to build your bumpers out of? Copper? What sort of solder? Secondly, how strong is it? I've heard mixed stories about durability. I was thinking of picking up a cheap hobby welder.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

.032 brass sheet and rectangle brass tubing. silver soldered with a butane micro torch. if you clean it really good and give it plenty to hold onto its rather sturdy. My chassis for my ax10 for super cab is all brass accept the side plates for the trans and skid
Old 02-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

durability is all in the design.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:22 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

That's cool. I was concerned with the solder joints failing with a tumble or excessive pulling. Good to know its sturdier than I thought.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

These are they key things ive found. Micro torch: keeps your heat in a small area, unlike a bottle torch that will heat up a larger area and you risk blowing out your other joints. heat the area as evenly as possible. Clean clean clean, i use emery cloth and don't touch it with your fingers once its clean. flux is like hot chicks , the more the better. silver solder. no lead . tight joints work best. the more area you have in the joint the better it will hold. There is a lot of info out there on soldering. Best thing to do is start with a test and work with it and see how well it works. there is a trick to it. took me some time and practice.

My Modified Rc4wd Trail Stomper - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd Trail stomper jwharton General Crawlers 17 06-09-2014 01:54 AM
Is the Rc4wd trail stomper good for trail runs? axial 4x4 crawler 1.5 Scale Rigs 2 11-25-2013 09:52 PM
RC4WD Trail stomper 88gmchog 1.5 Scale Rigs 9 10-26-2012 07:47 AM