Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Maryland

Notices

Thread: Let's plan a comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default MD Comp - Sept 14th - Sugarloaf MD

I finally dug my TLT out of my garage after it has sat for a year. Lets get something going.

Any site recommendations? Preferably something with access to power.

Last edited by CronusTRD; 09-02-2008 at 12:47 PM.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I agree 100%. I think there is no reason Maryland couldnt have a gtg/ comp before winter gets here. Lets use this thread as the "official" MD planing spot. Location... I think a site with power might be tough.

A couple recomendations I have include...

1. Carderock Park on the Potomac River in Bethesda.

2. Sugarloaf Mtn. in Dickerson (see my other thread)

3. Catoctin Mtns. off of I-15 north of Frederick

Also, Lets set a date and time to start things off. How about Saturday Sept. 13th at 9 am. If it works out, maybe we could make it a once a month thing.

We should also setup a Google Maps with all of our crawl spots stored in one location.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

yes!!!We definately need to get something going.I did my first crawl session yesterday and it was a blast.I live right up the street from gambrill state park in frederick and thats where I crawl.I am going scouting for spots later today at cunningham falls and sugarloaf mountain.We should meet at one of these three places maybe?
speedemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I stoped by sugarloaf on my way home from work today for some crawling, and spoted tons of potential at the west end overlook.

There is tons of parking, a small pavilion, PortaJohns, and fantastic rocks right next to the lot. I will take some pictures next time I'm up there.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

sweet!!! So it would be a short distance to walk back for charging batts?I'll take pics of my spot eiter tommorow or friday
Old 08-28-2008, 04:17 AM   #6

Any idea how far that is from Annapolis/Baltimore? There seems to be a bunch of people who would be interested but kind of spread out across the area. I know I would be intested in attending never done the crawling omp before, but a bit of everything else. Also I like the idea of a monthly get together I think something like that could help gain more momentum with crawlers in our area. I look forward to this happening soon.
bostonbruins40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Sugarloaf from Annapolis is is probably an hour, hour and ten.

Baltimore is more like 45 minutes.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I would be up for it. The September date is bad for me personaly. Comp at Roush Creek that day.

Last edited by K Riccardi; 08-29-2008 at 11:21 AM.
K Riccardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #9

Im up for Frederick / Thurmont area stuff for sure.
I've even checked through Catoctin Park and there's a couple of rocky areas up there on the top of the mountain with good parking / picknick areas even with bathrooms.

I've tried to make it to Sugarloaf weekday evenings since I pass by on the way home from work, but it's been too busy all summer.....Im hoping Fall is a better shcedule.
Heavy Metal Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

hey heavy metal,It was cool bumping into you at the falls today,If we get this together I'll maybe be crawling with you soon.Alright guys here are the pics I got today of two different areas at cunningham state park/falls in thurmont.This first one is in the state park and its called charcoal trail.It has 3-4 large rock formations the biggest being right next to the parking area.This one would be good if we need to charge packs since the lot is a few feet away.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

This is the second are which is the falls IMO the best area in the park which I was crawling on today,downside is that its a good hike from the lot to get to it maybe 10 minutes walk.I brought two extra packs with me so I was covered on that end and spent about 2 hrs running one pack.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Here is some video I took today in the same area,its not that good because I was alone and was holding my remote and camera at the same time lol

Old 08-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Thats funny as hell! I was at Cunningham falls yesterday with my girlfriend around 1 oclock. I wish I had bumped into you. oh well. The falls did look like a sweet spot except the hike, and it was pretty crowded when I was there.

I think we need to just buckle down and set a time and place. Thats the only way this is going to happen.

Someone said that saturday Sept. 13th wouldnt work for them, so how about Sunday the 14th?

Come on guys! If you have any intention on atending this, please chime in!!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
Thats funny as hell! I was at Cunningham falls yesterday with my girlfriend around 1 oclock. I wish I had bumped into you. oh well. The falls did look like a sweet spot except the hike, and it was pretty crowded when I was there.

I think we need to just buckle down and set a time and place. Thats the only way this is going to happen.

Someone said that saturday Sept. 13th wouldnt work for them, so how about Sunday the 14th?

Come on guys! If you have any intention on atending this, please chime in!!

Very ,very odd coincidence that three members from the same thread were there at the same time.You sure you did'nt see me?lol The 14th is definately doable for me so I'm in.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:13 AM   #15

13th or 14th is good for me. Or the following Sat is good as well
Old 09-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemall View Post
Here is some video I took today in the same area,its not that good because I was alone and was holding my remote and camera at the same time lol
Video looked pretty good to me.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Default Sugarloaf

Went and took some photos of Sugarloaf this morning. As usual my crappy little camera doesnt do it justice... Also a little "Where's crawler?" is included.

Here is a very short video clip too.
http://www.zuwharrie.com/gallery/dis...bum=979&pos=18 It uses quicktime, and you might have to wait a minute...

Also I'd be willing to meet up there some time and plan out some courses before the 14th too, Just shoot the PM.

Last edited by youngblood; 09-02-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Hey brian,I assume this is sugarloaf?Looks like a cool spot.Is there anywhere close to get food?You think we should do a before or after crawl lunch?I'm sure some of us will want to eat at some point especially me.lol
Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

13th or 14th works. I have a 2.2 with rear steer. I'll lock out the steering if I need to.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Default SEPTEMBER 14th it is!!!

Yeah, its Sugarloaf. There is a very small market in Dickerson (about 5 min. from the base of the Mtn. 10 from the top.) that makes sandwiches. So we can grab something to eat before or after. Last comp I atended (in VA) everybody brought coolers with plenty of water and such.

I'm going to go ahead and lock down the 14th of Sept as Maryland's first comp date, (somebody had to do it) now we just need to decide on a location.

If things work out, we might just have to set up an entire series for next spring....