Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Maryland

Notices

Thread: Hello Maryland!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hello Maryland!!!

Just wanted to say howdy to everyone in Maryland. A few months ago we relocated here from Illinois. My fiancée got a job in Rockville and we found a place in Gaithersburg. Not far from "The Track". Which I believe the owner wants to make a crawler course outside her place.
Anyway I'll keep checking this section, see what's going on.
But I do have a question or 2. Perhaps you guys can help.
1. I'm not working currently and we got me a oxy/acetylene torch. The Meco midget. I want to do more chassis and some art with it. Well, for some reason I'm being real timid on lighting it up the first time. I think I've just psyched myself up to much. Hell, I've hooked up everything. Leak checked everything a few times, and gone threw all procedures besides lighting the torch. Bleed the lines, everything. Part of me thinks I just need to get used to that part. Set up to shut down. But I wouldn't mind having someone with experience around the first
time I light it. So anyone with welding experience near me? Any friends/relatives that could just come over for a bit to get me rolling. I know once I get it light up I'll be absolutely cool with it. I ran a testing lab in Illinois that we did some pretty crazy tests and I think that's where I'm just being overly cautious. I didn't think it would intimidate me quite like this.
2. Second question, know of any good jobs near me? Not a big deal, I'm looking. I'm a jack of all trades, master of none type.
Anyway, I'm enjoying the area. It's different than what I'm used too (one reason I'm being patient on finding a job, still getting use to this area).
Talk to you guys later!!!

Lucky's Flatbed

Nyx, Luckydevils new build

Last edited by LuckyDevil; 12-17-2013 at 07:20 AM.
LuckyDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Hello Maryland!!!

for oxy acetylene cutting just set the acetylene at 5 psi and the oxygen at 15 psi.
turn up your acetylene about one complete turn and strike the flame.
slowly turn up the acetylene till there isnt really any more black soot coming off of the flame.
turn your oxygen up about 2 and a half turns.
turn the needle valve closest to the tip very slowly until the blue flame cone is about a quarter inch long.

If you end up putting out the flame, turn off the acetylene FIRST. oxygen second. if you get too close to the molten puddle, it will pop, and scare the hell out of you, it will propably put out the flame too.if you are welding. just set up the torch like normal, except no flame tuning. and then go from there. lol it takes a good bit of practice but you should get the hang out it relatively quickly. I live in thurmont. feel free to pm me anytime.

Last edited by theloudone; 12-17-2013 at 07:35 AM.
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks theloudone!
You'd laugh at me for sure. I am.
I'll get it, like I said I'm kind of surprised at myself. But patience is a virtue.
I'd rather be cautious. This week is suppose to warm up a bit too. That should help. I can open the garage doors. It's been cold enough I'm a bit uncomfortable in the garage. It's got a built in heater but if I open the doors that wouldn't last long.
It's just gotta feel right if I do it by myself. Just to feel safe.
But again Thanks! I really appreciate it.
Once I get it watch out, I got some ideas, after a LOT of practice I'm sure.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

id have to say my favorite method of welding is stick welding. there isnt much to it really. adjust your amperage and go. its costs a goot bit but you dont have to replace tanks and arc rods arent that expensive. if your garage has 220v in it then id reccomend getting one of these. i use one in my school's shop class and its a piece of cake to use.

Thunderbolt XL 225 AC - Stick Welder - SMAW - Miller Welding
Old 12-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I considered stick welding. But I do have some ideas that a gas set up would be more versatile for. The sculpture ideas i have, perhaps even get making some jewelry stuff. I like working pretty small that's why I choose the Meco Midget. Should be able to cover all the sizes I have in mind. Plus just for heating to bend stuff, small casting ideas I have, etc...
There's some blacksmithing stuff I'd really like to learn too. Ah, wish I could go back in time. Wish I would of found how much I enjoy metal working years ago. ShouldaCouldaWoulda!!!
There's plenty of time.
I like that thunderbolt XL. So many tools I want to get eventually. A stick welder is on the list but a little ways down. That'll be when I build a real crawler, someday.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

then oxy is exactly what you need. a basic stick welder makes everything so much simpler and quicker if you're doing larger projects.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
SuperShafty.com

welcome man. we are having a little get together at Difficult run this saturday. you should come out.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
SuperShafty.com

ii say we, but varcor is really doing it. not me so much.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
ii say we, but varcor is really doing it. not me so much.
WE are all here to play with toy trucks and have fun.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Hey Guys. I lived in Richmond (actually Machanicsville)for a tiny bit back in 2002. I worked at Sandy's Plants.
Not sure about this weekend but it's very possible. We are heading back to Illinois for the holidays but we like to get out on the weekends. And we've been meaning to get to the Virgina side of the park. So, well see. I won't compete or anything. But I'll bring Nyx with me for sure.
I'll keep you updated if we plan on it.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDevil View Post
Hey Guys. I lived in Richmond (actually Machanicsville)for a tiny bit back in 2002. I worked at Sandy's Plants.
Not sure about this weekend but it's very possible. We are heading back to Illinois for the holidays but we like to get out on the weekends. And we've been meaning to get to the Virgina side of the park. So, well see. I won't compete or anything. But I'll bring Nyx with me for sure.
I'll keep you updated if we plan on it.
Small world, I live in Mechanicsville, hope to meet you on the rocks some day.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I lived on Elm Street in old Mechanicsville. Little house with a big yard in between some business's. I liked Richmond, wish I would of stayed but life happened. Maryland's OK, nothing like Champaign/Urbana Illinois.
Anyway that's pretty cool, definitely a small world. I really enjoyed working at Sandy's. I was running a Losi nxt gas powered truck then. I had a Novarossi engine in it which roared, loved it. Good little truck.
Speaking of old trucks my very first was a Blackfoot but what I wish I still had was my first gas. The Traxxas NitroHawk. Anyone remember that?
Well I hope we can get over this weekend.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I am familiar with Elm, down from the windmill bank, I live off Shady Grove not far from there.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I just noticed my truck's on "The Tracks" facebook page.
I guess that's cool. I don't do facebook or I'd respond to the guy asking about it.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-T...77260528964053
It's down aways on their page so.....
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...count=1&ref=nf
Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Hey Guys, I'm just bumping this to see if anyone knows of any jobs. Got any friends in the area that can point me in some direction?
Back in Illinois I ran a geotechincal lab. I've done building maintenance. Worked at a whole sale nursery in VA for a bit, drove tractors and forklifts.
I'd like to get in a machine shop, welding shop, auto shop, nursery or farm. But I up for about anything, I'm a great helper and very versatile. I even enjoyed cleaning offices(it's peaceful and good exercise), I've done everything in the office cleaning business: carpet cleaning, floor refinishing, etc..
Best thing is at my lab I did field work, designed parts for testing equipment, made some testing equipment. Helped the engineer's with many aspects of many different projects. I have above average pc skills.
I can send anyone my resume if you want to see all I've done.
Thanks!
I'm just not sure about some jobs I'm running across, things are a lot different here than back in Illinois.
Don't forget me when events happen, I am watching the threads.
But I needs to start making some extra cash. I would like to build a comp crawler and I got a plan for another scale build.

Hello Maryland!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for anyone in Maryland 6wheelking Maryland 24 04-24-2013 07:39 PM
anyone in maryland? theloudone Maryland 14 10-14-2012 09:39 PM
Anyone in Maryland? Typhoon Maryland 0 06-06-2011 11:33 AM
Maryland Sucks Knarly Nerd Maryland 13 09-06-2010 09:14 AM
Maryland? GraTou Maryland 42 03-16-2009 12:07 PM