Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CFX

Notices

Thread: MST CFX-W arrival

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #81
Oppan Gangnam Style

Default Re: MST CFX-W arrival

Blazing Blazer body looks awesome with those axles/tires. I wonder what the size difference is between the Ascender body and the BB body., might be a good candidate for a clone... with these axles of course.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #82
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Blazing Blazer body looks awesome with those axles/tires. I wonder what the size difference is between the Ascender body and the BB body., might be a good candidate for a clone... with these axles of course.

Ascender body is bigger than the Blazing Blazer. I was considering a clone using the RC4WD Blazer. I have a decal sheet.... that may be the body I choose for this chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #83
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkilburn View Post
Ascender body is bigger than the Blazing Blazer. I was considering a clone using the RC4WD Blazer. I have a decal sheet.... that may be the body I choose for this chassis.

Is the RC4WD body close in size?

Measurements please.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:24 PM   #84
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
So I looked into this quite a bit this morning, which involved tearing down my scx10ii.

Without some serious machining, the parts are just enough different to not allow a hybrid of these axles together. You would also have to work out a CMS solution if you did.

Here are some photos from my findings-
Side by side

Differential side by side

With machining of the tang to fit the scx10ii spool, there is enough depth.

What the MST would look like on the scx10ii just for kicks

If you wanted portals on your scx10ii or ascender chassis, just buy the MadMoose and be done with it. They already have CMS worked out, they will be offering a leaf spring seat with the production version and it has a larger, what I would call, "window of clearance" over all. The MM axle has about 140ish mm of square clearance between the portal boxes all the way up to the axle tubes. The MST is tapered due to the Chub design from 140ish to 115 at the tube.

Hopefully all this work and comparisons let you each "make smart choices" based on your individual needs.

Thank you.

I do have access to machines. So for me it could be possible. Panhard mount on the axles would take some figuring out if it could be done at all.

I want to like the madmoose mad axles, they did great promoting them. Poor execution on manufacturing on them. I know there ton of custom pieces to make and for them alot of money to throw down. Honestly, they should have waited and not done the kick starter route. It like they built all this steam up and then when it came to production it almost gone on kick starters.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Measurements please.

I can measure it out for you.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #86
RCC Addict

The blazer body looks good, but there is something about the h3t body that I like more. Maybe cause is something different that you don't see which is up my alley
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Thank you.

I do have access to machines. So for me it could be possible. Panhard mount on the axles would take some figuring out if it could be done at all.

I want to like the madmoose mad axles, they did great promoting them. Poor execution on manufacturing on them. I know there ton of custom pieces to make and for them alot of money to throw down. Honestly, they should have waited and not done the kick starter route. It like they built all this steam up and then when it came to production it almost gone on kick starters.

I give a lot of credit to the guys at MM. they are doing this to benefit the community, they knew it would take some time to get to market fully and were up front about that. Offering pre-productions to do market research and shakedown testing is a great strategy for a small business, get it right before it goes out in large numbers.

They have said that their production units should be out soon and honestly it's good timing. Season is going to start soon for most and I honestly think their products will start showing up more and more by seasons end.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I do too, since I had a H3T it kinda feels right, lol.

When I saw your Colorado the other day, I was thinking that you had a H3 but then I wasn't sure. I remember the Camero, that's the last thing I'm sure of. It's been a few years...
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

I really not a fan of the mad moose because if it's looks, using vaterra gears and being 3d printed but I can't fault them for vattera gears since the scx10 came out quite awhile afterwards. The square tubes and basic looking pumpkin leaves alot to be desired imo.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:21 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

The MM axle is a scale version of the Volvo portals. They nailed it. As for the vaterra gears, they are using the HD gear sets and most aren't having any issue with them and they are widely available if they are ever needed. Check out their FB page and you will understand why they are built the way they are.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

I hope that as MM increases production volumes they can reduce the price. $350 for a pair of axels is a bit hard to swallow (especially being plastic). Could buy a whole kit for that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #92
Moderator Rule Breaker

I'm not a fan of the veterra cvd's specifically at the bell. It seems like they weak and will at some point break.

For the look them they did nail it.

The price tag on them is hard sallow for alot people and then also the custom parts too and having extra's.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

I didn't even know they were that much.

I guess I don't like Volvo portals.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I give a lot of credit to the guys at MM. they are doing this to benefit the community, they knew it would take some time to get to market fully and were up front about that. Offering pre-productions to do market research and shakedown testing is a great strategy for a small business, get it right before it goes out in large numbers.

They have said that their production units should be out soon and honestly it's good timing. Season is going to start soon for most and I honestly think their products will start showing up more and more by seasons end.
Quote:
The MM axle is a scale version of the Volvo portals. They nailed it. As for the vaterra gears, they are using the HD gear sets and most aren't having any issue with them and they are widely available if they are ever needed. Check out their FB page and you will understand why they are built the way they are.
X2, MadMoose has done a lot of good work on these portal axles, they look great! The MST portals look good and seem pretty strong too, but the c-hubs could be better looking. MM nailed the look with proper square axle tubes (good for leaf spring mounting and realistic) and nice looking c-hubs and knuckles like the real Volvos. Unimogs are very similar too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
I'm not a fan of the veterra cvd's specifically at the bell. It seems like they weak and will at some point break.

For the look them they did nail it.

The price tag on them is hard sallow for alot people and then also the custom parts too and having extra's.
I have not broken a Vaterra HD ring and pinion or CVD, and I let anybody drive my Ascender lol. Granted I'm running mostly 2s with stock 35T motor and I know some people have broken CVDs, maybe there will be a heavy duty version available this year.

Edit: Forgot to mention the great comparison job with pictures of the different axles inside and out, thank you!

MST ring and pinion reminds me of TLT in style and teeth size.

Oh, I like the Tamiya Hardbody Toyota, RC4WD Blazer and the H3T.

Last edited by Natedog; 01-03-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Great build!
Im not a hummer fan, but that hummer body with those portal axles woud look awsome.
Something different than the rest.
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 PM   #96
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Measurements please.

It is close and could be an easily converted as a tribute Blazing Blazer.

The RC4WD body is about an 1 3/4" longer and about a half inch wider but the wheelbase is the same. Most of the additional length is at the rear of the RC4WD body.

The Blazing Blazer has a more square body with exaggerated wheel well openings, the RC4WD Blazer has a more realistic taper at the bottom and more accurate wheel openings.

Being the Blazing Blazer is modeled after Baja 1000 style trucks the wheel openings are understandable. You can occasionally find reproduction decals and resin reproduction grills, rear lights and wing sets if you wanted to make a true(r) tribute truck.

If you wanted to tackle the project I would be happy to send high resolution and measured photos of mine.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:07 AM   #97
Pebble Pounder

I've really enjoyed this thread. I find it difficult to compare the Mad Moose portals to the CFX-W though. Its somewhat unfair to compare a $350 set of axles to a $300 complete chassis kit with portals. It should be understandable if MST's portals aren't perfect.

I'm excited to see after run thoughts.
OkinawaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #98
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkinawaCrawler View Post
I've really enjoyed this thread. I find it difficult to compare the Mad Moose portals to the CFX-W though. Its somewhat unfair to compare a $350 set of axles to a $300 complete chassis kit with portals. It should be understandable if MST's portals aren't perfect.

I'm excited to see after run thoughts.

I do agree on the comparison, comparing a Granny Smith to a Red Delicious, both apples but so very different. It will be a runner soon....

Old 01-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It will be a runner soon....
impatient I am
and video I hope
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the photos of the build, mine literally just showed up a few minutes ago and when I get home from work I'm going to take a good long look at it.

How would you compare it to say the SCX10 II - would it be in the same league? I put off an SCX10 II and Vaterra Ascender purchase to try this one out. ( I really enjoyed my CMX/blackfoot build).
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote

MST CFX-W arrival - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mst cfx-w Rcdood Chit Chat 50 01-11-2017 07:55 AM
has any one seen the new mst cfx w rig steven318is Newbie General 10 12-08-2016 10:15 AM
Arrival Time? Jslick Northeast National Championship 8 07-10-2015 05:59 AM
Arrival time on Friday. SubaruDriftBoy Northeast National Championship 7 06-10-2013 03:55 PM
AX10 arrival? HULK Newbie General 5 09-15-2007 10:49 PM