Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CFX

Notices

Thread: Thatguy builds an MST CFX-W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Thatguy builds an MST CFX-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFox View Post
I didn't know this Patrol GR body, it's not common, it would be a good choice
Peppe does some great stuff over there. I like the Patrol body a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
DUDE!!!! portals fit on everything

I think portals should be an option today to all ford/gm/dodge 1 ton and up!!!!!!!!
Portals do indeed go under a lot of things. I once did a 9th scale replica of a Series III land rover with Volvo axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbo View Post
Dodge had a portal axle option a couple of years ago. It was a $24K option. They were using Axletech Portals.

Portals look great on everything. An expedition type build would be cool. My dream truck is a HZJ78 on portals.

Can't wait to see what you do with it, imthatguy.

Really jealous of these CFX-W builds, I'm going to have to get one.
I wish the LC70 body wasn't so small. I'd build that on this in a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Matt, have you had a chance to get this thing out yet? I'm dying to know if this thing is the real deal and is up to par with the Ascender and SCX2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
This kit is making it onto my want list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I am really interested in this kit too. (un)Patiently waiting for an update on this one!
I'm sorry guys, been slacking as I was feeling a little burnt out on builds lately. I have to wrap up another before I can get going on portal mode again. My list of gripes is short though, and I think it'll be a fun kit that has a ton of potential, even for a hardcore C2 truck.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #22

The chassis looks great. I welcome the stiffer plastic. I'm not a fan of Axial's plastic.

The overly complicated portal is odd. Maybe they wanted more gear mesh for strength.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #23
RCC Addict

I can't stand Axial's plastic. Vaterra for example has much better quality plastic, and I honestly never would have thought of paying attention to plastic, but it really does make a difference.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I finally decided on a body. Had this RAM sitting around gathering dust so figured we'd give it a shot with a Honcho cage. Should be fun once it gets a massive trim and some paint.

Also plopped some new XD Bully wheels with red rings from Vanquish on the new PitBull RockBeast XL's. These are awesome looking, and will suit the lifted, aggressive look.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
The ring and pinion combo is 15T/36T. Then that gets reduced through a 14T, then two more 14T then finally a 16T to the wheel. That all seems a bit over complicated, no? Why not do what Mad Moose does and just use two gears?

MST:

Mad Moose (prototype shown, obviously it uses metal gears):

Not sure there's an advantage, but we'll see how they hold up!
The answer is gear mesh - double the gears, double the mesh. Helps distribute the load over approximately twice the area compared to two gears. When you have tiny little gears that aren't hiding behind any gear reduction it's important.

Great start, can't wait to see how you finish this one!

Last edited by Highmark; 03-08-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
The answer is gear mesh - double the gears, double the mesh. Helps distribute the load over approximately twice the area compared to two gears. When you have tiny little gears that aren't hiding behind any gear reduction it's important.

Great start, can't wait to see how you finish this one!
Thanks for the expla-ma-nation. Much help, very greet.

Welp, I gave up on the lexan body. Couldn't rightly do it, plus, I don't Mopar it, so I couldn't not car it. After seeing n00b finally use his Loops Step-Side, I knew that I wanted to go that direction too.

Boom, nailed it.

After some deliberation, I decided the Step-Side box was too high. So I got rid of the kit shocks and will find some shorties to mount to the frame. Success?

I'll fill the gaps on the body, and get rid of all the improper holes. Guess I'll cut the hood too. Maybe we'll go back to the days of Turk Winklestein and T-Top the roof again...
Old 04-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #27

That is a badass look. Im loving my cfx-w this thing crawls well. I think you will like this chassis.
crashradius is offline   Reply With Quote

Thatguy builds an MST CFX-W - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MST CFX-W arrival jrkilburn Max Speed Technology CFX 239 02-20-2018 09:42 AM
mst cfx-w axles available hotwheels000 Max Speed Technology CFX 3 01-27-2017 09:27 PM
MST CFX-W Bronco build alexleblanc Max Speed Technology CFX 12 01-25-2017 10:35 AM
Mst cfx-w Rcdood Chit Chat 50 01-11-2017 07:55 AM
has any one seen the new mst cfx w rig steven318is Newbie General 10 12-08-2016 10:15 AM