Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CFX

Notices

Thread: Soze's MST CFX-W Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Soze's MST CFX-W Build

More small updates. Basically, I added on the remaining parts I had from Shapeways designed by RCNerds... the side mirrors and the emblems. I had planned to add lighting as I already have my heyok lighting controller, but I've been foiled by the fact that my LEDs do not have the necessary connector to fit onto the controller. So now I have to buy some servo connectors and a crimping tool to redo the LEDs as the proper connector for the heyok controller.

Pix of progress.

soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

I had a chance to bring this rig out do the rocks yesterday, and the thing performed great. Probably would perform even better if I tune the shocks. I have some videos, but I was too busy driving to take many pictures or videos. Will post them up later.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:00 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

As promised, here is a video of my outing. I had a chance to do some technical stuff, but unfortunately I didn't take a video of that part of my run.

Met a guy there that does 1:1 scale Jeep crawling out there with his TRX-4. He was guiding me through some of the technical stuff which was cool. He was pretty impressed with the way my truck handled vs his TRX-4, but I think most of his issues were caused by the heavy TRX-4 body.

All in all... it performed pretty well for not having the suspension perfectly tuned yet, but it was good to get it out for a run and see how it does and how I can make it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBoasWN6OUQ

Last edited by soze; 10-18-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:26 AM   #64
Rock Stacker

Wow the camber of the mst axles is really obvious in video, i remember seeing it mentioned in the specs somewhere but hadnt noticed it in pictures until now. Does anyone have an idea what the camber is for? Obviously body roll on a solid axle vehicle doesnt change the angle of the tyre to the ground, so why have negative camber?

Mst cfx
Axial wraith
Axial yeti
8x venom creeper
Nzmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzmaximus View Post
Wow the camber of the mst axles is really obvious in video, i remember seeing it mentioned in the specs somewhere but hadnt noticed it in pictures until now. Does anyone have an idea what the camber is for? Obviously body roll on a solid axle vehicle doesnt change the angle of the tyre to the ground, so why have negative camber?

Mst cfx
Axial wraith
Axial yeti
8x venom creeper
Not sure, but I think it could help with side hilling.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:59 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

So in my quest for helping the CFX-W realize its full steering angle potential... I picked up the Samix Steering links (on eBay). The Samix steering link is angled, so it will give more clearance and avoid hitting the diff cover limiting the steering angle.

I also bought 300mm wheelbase Samix links for my 2nd CFX-W kit as well as a 19t mod06 pinion for it.

Here is a comparison between the 3 steering links from top to bottom.

Stock --> Boom Racing --> Samix

Weight: The stock steering links are metal, but hollow so they are the lightest of the 3. The Samix are solid titanium, but significantly lighter than the Boom Racing links.
Thickness: The Samix are solid, but the thinnest. Stock is thicker, but hollow. Boom Racing is solid and the thickest.
Diff cover clearance: Boom Racing steering links have the least amount of clearance limiting extreme steering angle. Stock steering link is better than Boom Racing in clearance, but still limited by contact with diff cover. Samix steering link completely clears the diff cover and allows maximum steering angle.

The Boom Racing links are by far the heaviest of the bunch, they've got a nice heft and the other 2 don't even come close in weight.

This picture shows the advantage in clearance that the stock steering links have over the Boom Racing steering links

This picture shows the advantage the Samix steering links have over the stock steering links.

This picture shows how much of an advantage in clearance that the Samix steering link has over the Boom Racing one.

Maximum steering angle achieved on MST CFX-W. Contact with the diff cover is no longer the limiting factor. Only the C-Hub & Knuckle contact are limiting any more steering now, but it's basically maxed out.

https://youtu.be/DkLf8X8ILx4

Last edited by soze; 11-18-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

How do the portal axles seem to be holding up? I am thinking about using a set for a custom build. I would most likely stay brushed for this build rather than going brushless so I dont think the motor would be too much power for the portals. I was curious about the internals and gears in the portals. Thanks!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
How do the portal axles seem to be holding up? I am thinking about using a set for a custom build. I would most likely stay brushed for this build rather than going brushless so I dont think the motor would be too much power for the portals. I was curious about the internals and gears in the portals. Thanks!
I think if you stay brushed you should be fine. I haven't run this truck with brushless, so I haven't really put any serious power/speed to them yet.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #69

That steering angle is great! Is that with or without CVDs/universals? And were they included with the kit or an upgrade?

Samix stuff looks great. I'm interested to hear how those links hold up.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That steering angle is great! Is that with or without CVDs/universals? And were they included with the kit or an upgrade?

Samix stuff looks great. I'm interested to hear how those links hold up.
With... CVD's Included.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:40 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Had a chance to go out crawling again on Black Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WZ6iAn5xFzo
Old 11-27-2017, 03:24 AM   #72
Rock Stacker

Nice build! Btw, if you're still wondering on how to get the cloudiness out of the clear plastic, you can try getting a "headlight restoration kit" made by 3M from your local auto parts store or Amazon. It should only be $10. If it doesn't work, use it on your car!
jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:55 AM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Just got my steel MST driveshafts in the mail yesterday. I realized when I looked at the included card that they recommend the rear use a 118-144 mm driveshaft. I had bought 2 of the 99-119mm like you did. How are the 99-119mm driveshaft working on the rear? Any issues?
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #74

Why does it look like the truck has camber? Is that just from the fisheye effect of the camera lens?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNTired View Post
Just got my steel MST driveshafts in the mail yesterday. I realized when I looked at the included card that they recommend the rear use a 118-144 mm driveshaft. I had bought 2 of the 99-119mm like you did. How are the 99-119mm driveshaft working on the rear? Any issues?
That is the original specified rear drive-shaft that was supposed to be used when they released the truck. Somewhere, and I forgot where.... I read they ended up using the same for front and rear. Those originally specified longer driveshafts never got released. Don't know if it ever will be, but I imagine it would be a great idea if the wheelbase were able to be adjusted even longer than 313mm. There should be plenty of other universals that could probably fit though.

So far the driveshaft has been working fine. No issues. If they ever do release the longer one, I'll probably pick up 2 and stick one of the current ones in my second kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Why does it look like the truck has camber? Is that just from the fisheye effect of the camera lens?
It's because it does have camber! The CFX-W was created with that negative camber. It's not for everyone as far as looks, but I feel like it does help with performance out on the rocks... especially when side hilling.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
It's because it does have camber! The CFX-W was created with that negative camber. It's not for everyone as far as looks, but I feel like it does help with performance out on the rocks... especially when side hilling.
Interesting! This is the first crawler that I'm aware of that has build in camber like this. It makes sense that it would help out tremendously in side hilling.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
And is it just me or is there a LOT of toe in on those rear wheels?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
And is it just me or is there a LOT of toe in on those rear wheels?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I don't know if you'd consider it a lot... but yes, it also has toe-in in the rear. This might actually be my wide-angle lens making it look like more than it actually is.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Quote:
That is the original specified rear drive-shaft that was supposed to be used when they released the truck. Somewhere, and I forgot where.... I read they ended up using the same for front and rear. Those originally specified longer driveshafts never got released. Don't know if it ever will be, but I imagine it would be a great idea if the wheelbase were able to be adjusted even longer than 313mm. There should be plenty of other universals that could probably fit though.

So far the driveshaft has been working fine. No issues. If they ever do release the longer one, I'll probably pick up 2 and stick one of the current ones in my second kit.
Well speak of the devil. They're finally available! Going to pick them up.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

A few pictures from the Black Friday outing.

Soze's MST CFX-W Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mst cfx mhowzit Max Speed Technology CFX 51 04-16-2018 07:06 AM
MST CFX/d90 pick up build noname0383 Max Speed Technology CFX 30 09-06-2017 08:35 PM
Mst cfx-w nerdtek Max Speed Technology CFX 0 02-24-2017 08:01 PM
MST CFX-W Bronco build alexleblanc Max Speed Technology CFX 12 01-25-2017 10:35 AM
Mst cfx-w Rcdood Chit Chat 50 01-11-2017 07:55 AM