Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CFX

Notices

Thread: OS's MST CFX Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: OS's MST CFX Bronco

Got the CFX out for a 5 hour trail run yesterday on a fairly wet and muddy trail. Lots of flat areas, but quite a few rock and root areas that gave it a bit of a challenge. Truck did fantastic! Went everywhere my TRX-4 went for the most part. Just a few spots where I had to drive a different line due to the smaller tires, but soldiered though with no problems.

First real trail run for the Hustlers. They did pretty good - cleared out nice and seemed to have decent grip. This truck is pretty light, I think with a bit heavier truck they'd do even better.

I am debating a custom chassis for this truck so allow for more shock options, but I think it honestly has enough flex as it is. Didn't really run into any situations where the suspension held it back in any way. I may still just make the chassis just for kicks...

Still needs a read bumper.. Can really see the size difference - it was a very interesting day wheeling both trucks. Despite the size difference, they actually drive very similar.

Back in the parking lot. Doesn't look too bad, but underneath, it's a muddy mess. Shocks and front links are coated with goo that was coming off the tires. Will need a good cleaning for sure.

Only problem I ran into was it was a bit jerky getting on the throttle, and the gearbox was a bit louder than I remember. Once I got back to the truck I broke out the programmer for the 1080 and changed some settings on the ESC - initial start force was set way high. I turned that down to 0 and that made all the difference.

As far as the gearbox noise, I swapped over to a new pinion and it went away. Though it didn't look like it, the older one was a bit sharktoothed apparently. Now it's smooth and silent again.

Last edited by OSRC; 09-17-2018 at 06:46 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2018, 06:35 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

CFX the left of me, Sawback to the right, here I am - stuck in the middle with screws...

Strange song reference aside, had some fun this morning mixing up some parts. For reasons still unknown, I decided to tear apart 2 perfectly good trucks and build 1 runner. Noticed that my Sawback and CFX had very similar setups on the axles - same mount points, same servo on axle...hmm...

So ripped out the axles on the Sawback and started fitting things up. I think this'll work!

Boom goes the dynamite! Tossed in some 80mm shocks while I was at it.

Like it was meant to be...just had to extend the upper links. Mockup successful!

A little bit bigger meats to go with the wider axles. They are about 30mm wider than the CFX's.

Sawback vs. MPA

Body will need a bit trimming, though the LC body is probably the most forgiving CC01 size body for larger tires and a wider stance.

Doesn't look too bad, even with the extra width

Just a bit more flex than stock. Will need some shock tuning, but it's on the right track

Found some brass pivot balls left over from my CMX. I put them in the front lowers, so I got that going for me which is nice.

I had cut down the rear fabbed shock mounts for another body. Didn't quite work with the longer shocks, so I went back to the stock mounts for now. Much better!!

Axle shots....The good thing about the Sawback axles is I did the R1 gear mod up front, so they have a decent overdrive setup. Should come in real handy with such a short wheelbase. Not to mention brass inserts and slightly better steering angle.

Had to get out for a test drive.. It's still just mocked up at this point. Even still, NO short wheelbase truck that cost less than 2 C notes has any right to be this capable. Wow. What a difference. The stock truck wheels very good, but the Sawback axles are absolutely next level performance. It's more stable due to the width, very agile due to the short wheelbase, and super planted on climbs. The OD in the front axle makes a ton of difference. Definitely needs some shock tuning, body and bumper trimming, and I want to play with tires, but absolutely glad I made the swap

Old 10-18-2018, 07:55 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Interesting idea. Your right that the FJ body is pretty forgiving of the wider axles. Neat!
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Tidied up a few details... Got the shocks filled with 20wt. oil, added a few spacers on the mounts as things weren't quite moving freely, and went through all the screws and threadlocked everywhere. I'll have to fab up a servo mount - the stock Sawback piece is pretty flimsy, but it'll do for now. It's ready for trail duty!

Got the chassis all tidied back up. Doesn't really look like I spent 90 minutes tweaking, but sometimes the devil is in the details.

Found an MST bumper in my stash - fits the agressive look a bit better, and doesn't stick out 30 feet like the stock front bumper.

Made the swap over to MTR's on black beadlocks...the Hyrax tires work incredible and I'm giving up a bit of performance, but I think they look the part.

Trimmed and repainted the fenders for more clearance. Think they came out ok. Good enough to get dirty anyway!

Still have to trim out the rear wheel wells a bit more. Tires hit right at the top. I'll get it out on the trail and see how badly it rubs before cutting more off.

Compared to my stock (ish) CMX.

Those MPA axles will get put to good use! This is the project I planned to start - as usual, I got sidetracked and ended up building a truck out of the leftovers before I even lifted a finger on the main project. They fit perfectly under Mohave/Bruiser bodies. That's a project for another thread however.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:39 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

I've created a monster. Only the second truck to get up my 60 degree ramp. My SCX10II was the sole rig to make it so far. I tackle it 2 ways, with a standing start at the bottom, and with a little wheelspeed. Owned them both! Actually stopped 1/2 way up, then started again.

With such a short wheelbase and the motor mounted way up top, I am surprised at how stable this rig is both climbing and downhill. The tires tend to slide sideways a bit more on sidehill, but it's manageable.

Not bad for a "what if" project!

Old 10-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Default OS's MST CFX Bronco

What size/type/brand pivot ball are you using in your links? I need to upgrade mine from the stock plastic ones. Are yours all brass or some stainless or aluminum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by gsgraber92; 10-26-2018 at 10:11 PM.
gsgraber92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:29 AM   #47
RCC Addict

I just keep getting more ideas/inspirations from your builds!... Since you've got both handy, do you think the CFX trans would stand a chance of fitting worth a darn in the Sawback chassis? I'm exploring front motor options to try to fit a specific full interior, but I want a passenger side drop front output like your CFX uses.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:59 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgraber92 View Post
What size/type/brand pivot ball are you using in your links?
MST - they sell them in both aluminum and brass. I have both, and my scale doesn't notice a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I just keep getting more ideas/inspirations from your builds!... Since you've got both handy, do you think the CFX trans would stand a chance of fitting worth a darn in the Sawback chassis?
I imagine it would (with some fab work of course.) The MST and Sawback are the same 70mm width between the chassis rails. Should in theory drop right in there as long as the servo is still on the axle. I no longer have a stock Sawback chassis so I can't compare the two directly.

(10 min later) I went down and looked at the parts - biggest issue is the front of the Sawback chassis is curved and the MST is straight, you'd need to trim the chassis rails a bit and drill another hole, but it looks very doable. The CFX conversion kit contains the trans and t-case, should be all you need. You'll just need to drill the output on the trans and the input on the t-case to 1.5mm to fit a screw in cross pin, they are 1mm from the factory for some reason.

Last edited by OSRC; 10-27-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Awesome, thank you for looking into that for me! CFX is leading the pack for my parts list, I just wish I'd bought one when Amain was blowing them out!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:20 AM   #50
Rock Stacker

KEEP ROCKING, SWEET,.
I think the 80mm are good addition.
Tim3 is offline   Reply With Quote

OS's MST CFX Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mst cfx mhowzit Max Speed Technology CFX 51 04-16-2018 07:06 AM
Mst cfx-w nerdtek Max Speed Technology CFX 0 02-24-2017 08:01 PM
mst cfx-w axles available hotwheels000 Max Speed Technology CFX 3 01-27-2017 09:27 PM
MST CFX-W Bronco build alexleblanc Max Speed Technology CFX 12 01-25-2017 10:35 AM
Mst cfx-w Rcdood Chit Chat 50 01-11-2017 07:55 AM