Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CFX

Notices

Thread: So What's your thought on the cfx-W ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: So What's your thought on the cfx-W ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
Going out today with new portal boxes, bearings and gears. Also tossed on a P.L. 4-Runner body for less weight. Fingers crossed!
I have some Moonrocks for my bong if things go awry.
Always good to have a contingency plan.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

It was a very good thing that I had a contingency plan.
No more MST or Asiatees for me.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It was a very good thing that I had a contingency plan.
No more MST or Asiatees for me.
That sucks. Maybe these CFX-W axles aren't the right choice for your application with the custom chassis build.

As far as the CFX-W kit as a whole... I've still not had any issues and it's my main runner.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
That sucks. Maybe these CFX-W axles aren't the right choice for your application with the custom chassis build.

As far as the CFX-W kit as a whole... I've still not had any issues and it's my main runner.
Well, I do drive it like a sporty, always trying the hardest line I can find,but I don't get it bound up and throttle it or stupid crap like that.
Yesterday I took a tumble down a climb, two reverse cartwheels, landed on wheels and portal gears were wasted.

I have come to the conclusion that I will have to do something like the Master Chino63, if I want durability with portals. I would go with Traxxas but I want servo on axle and 4 link front.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well, I do drive it like a sporty, always trying the hardest line I can find,but I don't get it bound up and throttle it or stupid crap like that.
Yesterday I took a tumble down a climb, two reverse cartwheels, landed on wheels and portal gears were wasted.

I have come to the conclusion that I will have to do something like the Master Chino63, if I want durability with portals. I would go with Traxxas but I want servo on axle and 4 link front.
That blows, I'm sorry to hear this. Mine has taken quite a few falls and rolls down the rocks. No issues. Makes me wonder if the plastic mold is off a bit on yours and the gears are not lined up right.
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

This makes me sad :(
Was planning to throw a set of these diffs under a new tube frame bug (pretty much a Red Dot Engineering buggy) but now having second thoughts. You running 2.2 or 1.9's? I was only planning it to be a 1.9 rig.
1tuff40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowzit View Post
That blows, I'm sorry to hear this. Mine has taken quite a few falls and rolls down the rocks. No issues. Makes me wonder if the plastic mold is off a bit on yours and the gears are not lined up right.
I replaced the portal boxes to see if that was the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuff40 View Post
This makes me sad :(
Was planning to throw a set of these diffs under a new tube frame bug (pretty much a Red Dot Engineering buggy) but now having second thoughts. You running 2.2 or 1.9's? I was only planning it to be a 1.9 rig.
Running 1.9 P.L. TSL XL.
I sent asiatees pics of multiple sets of gears that were toasted, they told me to contact MST but when I go to their site to contact them it directs me to asiatees. It kinda healed the bite that I recently got from the crawler bug.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I replaced the portal boxes to see if that was the problem.

Running 1.9 P.L. TSL XL.
I sent asiatees pics of multiple sets of gears that were toasted, they told me to contact MST but when I go to their site to contact them it directs me to asiatees. It kinda healed the bite that I recently got from the crawler bug.
Damn mine was going to run the same size.
And being a werock style rig it was going to be tested out well. See what happens I guess.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuff40 View Post
Damn mine was going to run the same size.
And being a werock style rig it was going to be tested out well. See what happens I guess.
I wish you luck, please post your results.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:53 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I wish you luck, please post your results.
Will do mate.
Gotta get a couple of customers cars finished first but looking forward to that build!
Old 01-06-2018, 04:44 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

For what it’s worth my portal blew up today after I finally completed my build - I started a thread on it. Same issue, I got about 15 minutes out of it and 4 of the 4 portal gears exploded on the driver side rear portal. My rig is very heavy, but it exploded on 2S with a gentle throttle curve and with almost no stress. I have the Samix brass portal covers on the front and will install them on the rear to keep things in alignment. The problem seems to be that the metal is complete crap. I am worried that there is no hope. Portal axles were the entire reason I built a Unimog in the first place.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I'm really puzzled. I've taken mine out several times and I know JKilburn said he put a bunch of gates on his. Maybe It's just the way I drive... probably not as much stress as whatever you guys are doing.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Have you made contact with MST? There may have been manufacturing issues with the gears. Save the pieces and take photos of the carnage. Jason Tsang is great to work with and should make it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkilburn View Post
Have you made contact with MST? There may have been manufacturing issues with the gears. Save the pieces and take photos of the carnage. Jason Tsang is great to work with and should make it right.

Quote:
...I sent asiatees pics of multiple sets of gears that were toasted, they told me to contact MST but when I go to their site to contact them it directs me to asiatees....

that would make me feel a little skeptical about the service.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Someone on this forum has offered to contact Jason on my behalf. I will await a response. My concern is that I don’t want to have to wait a month for parts from China and the portal blew up while driving around my backyard. I have a 2200 Ku castle in an ax10 deadbolt, a 4065 Leopard with 2700 KV in my Yeti, a 2700 kv leopard in an SCX 10 On 2.2s, and a 3550 KV Leopard in my Scx10 ii. I have abused all of the above and yet the only catastrophic failure was the MST and there was no load. Frankly the first charge was to determine if I needed an anti-sway bar given the higher center of gravity.

I hope it works out. I’ll post pics soon.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Just curious... Do you guys have the later revised wheelbase marked kits or older first release kits? I have an original release kit when they were first released. I believe jrkilburn is an original release kit as well.

Also are you guys buying the kit or just running the axles bought separately.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

I had a first release kit and assembled myself. Other than the portal problem, the kit is higher quality. I did replace the plastic input and driveshafts with metal just to be safe.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkilburn View Post

I contacted asiatees/Jason Tsang because on MST's site when you try to contact them it directs you to asiatees. I went back and fourth sending them pics of the gears, was very polite and got nothing. They finally told me to contact MST, I replied that their site directs me to asiatees, never heard back from them.

I have the brass Samix portal covers and still was exploding gears.

Check the plastic boxes if you do blow your gears, sometimes the floating teeth will tear it up.

My opinion of asiatees..................................:flipoff :
Old 01-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Pics of the carnage and the rig. Excuse the lack of interior and wiring mess. I need to make side windows and am waiting for the pecan to come in before installing the interior. The wiring mess will be resolved soon as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

I'd look for some new axles too.

So What's your thought on the cfx-W ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MST CFX... Out with the old in with the CFX... Old n ratty Max Speed Technology CFX 24 01-13-2019 08:57 AM
CFX-W Wheelbase Smonkman Max Speed Technology CFX 7 09-18-2017 10:56 AM
Parts compatibility between CMX/CFX/CFX-W mhowzit Max Speed Technology CMX 1 05-20-2017 07:19 AM
Mst cfx-w Rcdood Chit Chat 50 01-11-2017 07:55 AM