Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CFX

Notices

Thread: So What's your thought on the cfx-W ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default So What's your thought on the cfx-W ?

Been thinking about buying a Mst cfx-W kit. How do you like the cfx-W, and How does it compare to the scx10 2 and similar rigs?
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: So What's your thought on the cfx-W ?

I don't have a CFX-W, but i do have a CFX and have owned many kits and will say the engineering and parts quality is near the top of the heap. Plastic bits are very nice and shock shocks work well.
If i was 1st starting out in the crawler game or even in RC id grab the SX10 for sure as it just has more support, but if you already have a couple crawlers the MST CFX line is a very nice addition. I'm a little skeptical on portals and how they'll hold up, but for for the price it's seems to be a gamble worth taking. I'm going to grab one at some point, but just got my 2nd CFX and going to try a few new things with that.

$25 store coupon on Asia Tees if you grab a CFX-W and they have the HobbyWing 1080 for a decent price also.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Bought one a few months back. The portal axles are nice. As is the front mounted motor. The plastic drive lines are soft but MST offers steel upgrades.

Parts support and lack of 3rd party mods limits it some. That's where the benefit of the SCX10.2 or Ascender comes in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
OldNTired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have had a MST cmx, but it was to small for me. I've got a Ascender, but have a lust for portal axles. But it's a Class 2 rig that's on my shopping list. I might be better off with a scx10 II.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Cool.
I grabbed the CFX because it was smaller and the options for scale hard bodies can't be beat.
Also for the terrain i drive the smallness works better because it offers more of a challenge, plus it's more scale in driving characteristic.

Love the ascender as it just works even without the use of portals.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Portal gears are worthless, CVD shafts are weak and fairly expensive to replace for a stock part.
I usually get about 15-20 minutes run time before the portals get meth mouth and start breaking teeth.
Other than that I really like the axles.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have been running my CFX-W since it came out last year and I’m pleased with it. I’ve run multiple G6 events and 1000+ gates of Brian Parker’s madness. Only twisted stock driveshafts off. No other issues for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
Portal gears are worthless, CVD shafts are weak and fairly expensive to replace for a stock part.
I usually get about 15-20 minutes run time before the portals get meth mouth and start breaking teeth.
Yikes that sucks....what type of wheel/tire combo you running?
Old 12-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUMB View Post
Yikes that sucks....what type of wheel/tire combo you running?
1.9 TSL XL, chanquish wheels

Last edited by travis c.; 12-12-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have no reason to doubt you, however I have spoken with several people about this rig. The only issue I heard of, other then driveshafts, was a broken locker.

I am planning to order one because I wanted the axles for a build, however your post has me reconsidering.(which is fine, its why I read the forum)

Would you mind going into a little more detail about your issues? Are you running 3s, brushless, or some other configuration that might contribute to the issue.

Are you being sarcastic about liking the axles, other then the gears?
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That's interesting. I've been running mine for a while now with no issues. My build is a pretty light rig though.

Do you have any binding going on in your axles?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
That's interesting. I've been running mine for a while now with no issues. My build is a pretty light rig though.

Do you have any binding going on in your axles?
Axles spin extremely smooth without the driveshafts.

Asiatees CS hasn't been much help, emailed back and fourth, sent pics of broken gears and their reply was "Thanks for the pictures, we'll keep them on file". WTF! I placed an order with them on the 28th of Nov for new portal gears, the top 14t, the two middle 14t, and the bottom 16t and a pair of CVD shafts.
I told them that I had a pending order for replacements and they didn't offer any discount or anything. I paid for 4-8 day shipping and as of yesterday my package is still in Hong Kong.

What really sucks is that I have kind of been out of crawling for a while and recently been bitten by the bug again but this whole situation makes me want to find a new hobby
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Axles spin extremely smooth without the driveshafts.

Asiatees CS hasn't been much help, emailed back and fourth, sent pics of broken gears and their reply was "Thanks for the pictures, we'll keep them on file". WTF! I placed an order with them on the 28th of Nov for new portal gears, the top 14t, the two middle 14t, and the bottom 16t and a pair of CVD shafts.
I told them that I had a pending order for replacements and they didn't offer any discount or anything. I paid for 4-8 day shipping and as of yesterday my package is still in Hong Kong.

What really sucks is that I have kind of been out of crawling for a while and recently been bitten by the bug again but this whole situation makes me want to find a new hobby
You're the first that I've heard with issues with the portal gears. What type of power are you running through them?
Old 12-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
You're the first that I've heard with issues with the portal gears. What type of power are you running through them?
H.W. 1080 W.P., H.H. Crawlmaster Pro 16t, Axial tranny with 58t spur and 11t pinion. It's the same speed and start-up as if it had scx-10 or AR 60 axles. I'm also running a Krazed Builds Un-Syuck sporty chassis so the rig is light and I know how to drive fairly well.

Last edited by travis c.; 12-12-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
H.W. 1080 W.P., H.H. Crawlmaster Pro 16t, Axial tranny with 58t spur and 11t pinion. It's the same speed and start-up as if it had scx-10 or AR 60 axles. I'm also running a Krazed Builds Un-Syuck sporty chassis so the rig is light and I know how to drive fairly well.
Hmm, yeah I don't know. I'm running it on the CFX-W chassis and pretty conservatively.

2S lipo with 35T brushed and hobbywing 1080. I was considering running a 3S into it, but haven't found the need yet.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have a MST CFX. Apart from the portals and frame rails, it shares all of its part with the “W”

I really like the MST offerings. They did a good job. The chosen materials are spot-on. Stiff where they need to be, but also flexible to improve durability.

The front drive gearbox is a work of art in the Tamiya tradition. Complex, but, oh so smooth.. I love it, and that’s from a guy that’s a serious Axial fan.

I was deliberating between the CFX and the CFX-w, but the ability to use every short wheelbase Tamiya body ( and the almost €100.- price difference) made the choice towards the short wheelbase kit easy. To switch between the really short (the Unimog) , and the somewhat longer ( the Wrangler f.i.) is made really easy by the adjustable links. (Axial could learn something here. No fixed length spaghetti links, and several adjusting options already in the kit)

It drives great, surprisingly good, even, given the short wheelbase. Even with Tamiya Hi-lift tires (yes, really) it it went every where, except for some really gnarly crawling underground. I’d say that with the MST, “W” - or not, You’d be buying a very affordable and capable kit.

Onlt tiiiiny niggle: No ball bearings for the wheel axles. But they’re standard 10x5x4 so pretty cheap to replace the included bushings.

Compared to the SCX2, i cannot say anything useful, but compared to my -by now 5year old- scx10, the MST is clearly ahead afa gearbox and drive-line components go, éven with the plastic lockers.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
I have a MST CFX. Apart from the portals and frame rails, it shares all of its part with the “W”

I really like the MST offerings. They did a good job. The chosen materials are spot-on. Stiff where they need to be, but also flexible to improve durability.

The front drive gearbox is a work of art in the Tamiya tradition. Complex, but, oh so smooth.. I love it, and that’s from a guy that’s a serious Axial fan.

I was deliberating between the CFX and the CFX-w, but the ability to use every short wheelbase Tamiya body ( and the almost €100.- price difference) made the choice towards the short wheelbase kit easy. To switch between the really short (the Unimog) , and the somewhat longer ( the Wrangler f.i.) is made really easy by the adjustable links. (Axial could learn something here. No fixed length spaghetti links, and several adjusting options already in the kit)

It drives great, surprisingly good, even, given the short wheelbase. Even with Tamiya Hi-lift tires (yes, really) it it went every where, except for some really gnarly crawling underground. I’d say that with the MST, “W” - or not, You’d be buying a very affordable and capable kit.

Onlt tiiiiny niggle: No ball bearings for the wheel axles. But they’re standard 10x5x4 so pretty cheap to replace the included bushings.

Compared to the SCX2, i cannot say anything useful, but compared to my -by now 5year old- scx10, the MST is clearly ahead afa gearbox and drive-line components go, éven with the plastic lockers.
I agree the CFX kit is real nice offering from a company who seems to know exactly where to focus its efforts. For them to be offered with Tamiya bodies and fit a whole host of others it makes it very attractive. This one where I found myself buying 3 or 4, just like the HPI Wheely King....so many configurations and a whole lot of fun to mess around with. Their newest kit the MST-1 is also very interesting and would like to try that out.

Right now for my next CFX build i'm deciding if i should try VW bug with Boom Racing narrow steel wheels and RC4WD mud pluggers or Subaru Brat with Tamiya high lift wheels and some type of wider firmer tire.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post

The CFX-W came with ball bearings. I guess it was different for the CFX.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:00 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

I, too, am surprised to hear about travis' issues with the kit.
Mine has been running Holmes 3300kv brushless and 3S power, has taken some serious tumbles down some rocky embankments, has been caught in some tight binds, and I've had zero issues apart from the driveshafts.
I installed GMade Junfac steel driveshafts (made for the R1 rock buggy) today, so I'm looking forward to seeing if that causes any other weaknesses further on down the line, but I'm not too worried.
The build quality is up there with the best of them and, as previously mentioned, the gearboxes and transfer case are all buttery smooth.

The only con to the kit IMO is the way that the shocks mount to the axle. The mounting screw head faces in toward the centre of the chassis, so you have to approach it from the opposite side of the axle to the shock that you're working on.
This isn't so much an issue for the rear, but the servo gets in the way on the front, so you need to remove the two screws that mount the servo mounting plate to the axle to be able to get it out of the way.

All in all, I love the kit.
I bought mine because I wanted a 1.9 rig that was different to the Axial/Vaterra stuff that is mostly kicking around.
I guess if you get most of your parts from your LHS then parts availability can be an issue, but hobby shops here in Australia are pretty balls and don't carry anything, so I buy all my parts online anyway.
sabo308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Going out today with new portal boxes, bearings and gears. Also tossed on a P.L. 4-Runner body for less weight. Fingers crossed!
I have some Moonrocks for my bong if things go awry.

So What's your thought on the cfx-W ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MST CFX... Out with the old in with the CFX... Old n ratty Max Speed Technology CFX 24 01-13-2019 08:57 AM
CFX-W Wheelbase Smonkman Max Speed Technology CFX 7 09-18-2017 10:56 AM
Parts compatibility between CMX/CFX/CFX-W mhowzit Max Speed Technology CMX 1 05-20-2017 07:19 AM
Mst cfx-w Rcdood Chit Chat 50 01-11-2017 07:55 AM