Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CFX

Notices

Thread: OS's MST CFX Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default OS's MST CFX Bronco

I built a CMX a while ago, and before I even ran it they announced the CFX...hate when that happens. So I sold the CMX without even putting power to it and bought the CFX, and it's sat here ever since. Finally got around to building it. Great little chassis..added a few hop ups along the way. Stock chassis with CFX-W sliders and bearings of course.

Added the front knuckle weights. Not sure if they were needed since the motor is up front, but since they were $10 figured why not.

Also picked up the steering links. Plastic one is ok, but prefer metal up here.

Just a few mods planned. First off, I like function over form and the stock shock towers with 1 mounting point just were not going to cut it. I like to have options! Cut up some new rear mounts that are lower and farther forward so I could relocate the shocks to the front of the axle instead of on top.

Mounted up and compared to stock. Love the stock shocks - I can go longer now with the new mounts, but the stockers are nice and smooth, and more than enough travel for this little rig.

Since I moved the shocks, I decided to trim up the rear axle. Cut off the brake bosses and upper mounts for the shocks and steering. Before...

...and after. Much cleaner, though my sanding job is pretty weak.

Rear axle remounted up. Like the look much better.

Front, no can do - shocks hit the weights limiting steering. Without the weights, no problem.

Fronts mounts done. Same geometry as stock, just a few holes so I can change the shock angle or lift it up a bit if needed.

Completed chassis

I had a Blackfoot body ready to go - painted it, mounted it, and somehow lost all the hardware. Until the hardware shows back up, dropped on a Bronco body. With the lower rear shocks and front mounted motor, an interior is no problem with this rig. unfortunately, 1.55's don't fit with the knuckle weights - at least the ones I have here. So 1.9 TSL's are on for now.

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: OS's MST CFX Bronco

Nice work! It really is a shame that MST hasn't gotten more support outside of Asia, because they provide really nicely laid out presentable and capable kits. They just don't have the marketing muscle over here that some of the domestics have.

I really like my CFX-W, and liked it enough to get a second one. When I finally get around to my SCX10.2 kit that is sitting here... I'll have to do a comparison between the CFX-W, Ascender, and SCX10.2

You should pick up a CFX-W if you don't already have one.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I built a CMX a while ago, and before I even ran it they announced the CFX...hate when that happens.
I'm in the same boat. But I kept mine.

Shock mount look Killer.
Axle does look better cleaned up..
I'll need to look into some CFX-W sliders.
Didn't even know they had knuckle weights. Mmmm

Bronco body looks good with the 1.9s too.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Are you going to sell the shock mount? They look sweet

149 r/c worx/scalerfab/team brood.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Similar story, I bought a cmx for my Barbie Jeep projects (build in the 1.9 section) and it needed too much interior cutting so I ordered a front motor kit for $75 and it became my favorite rig. Then I bought a CFX and d90 hard body for one of my kids and then I got a great deal on another CMX for my other kid...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spaceman5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks fellas, hoping to get this one dirty. Regret selling the CMX before I had a chance to drive it. There's a few "C1" trails we go to that this would be perfect for. I usually take my CC01's when we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Are you going to sell the shock mount? They look sweet
No sir, they are hand fabricated one offs. I might build a set if someone asked, but I'm not a vendor in any way, and do not want to run afoul of the RCC rules.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I completely understand that wasn't trying to put you in a bind. I got busted for vendor piping before.

149 r/c worx/scalerfab/team brood.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Got the Bronco painted over the weekend. Was going to go the usual blue and white scheme, but found a 1/2 can of Tamiya Copper so went that route. Had just enough! Stripped and flat backed the grill too...Really like how it came out.

I trimmed up the edges of the bumper - looked a little blocky to my eyes. Think this looks much cleaner. Aldo added some D rings just to liven things up.

Will need some sort of rear bumper before heading out to trail duty.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Good modifications with the dampers towers.

The copper color favors the bronco a lot.

Good job.
ROB850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I really like my CFX-W, and liked it enough to get a second one. When I finally get around to my SCX10.2 kit that is sitting here... I'll have to do a comparison between the CFX-W, Ascender, and SCX10.2.
Hey soze, did you ever get around to comparing these? I'd like to know your thoughts.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:07 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Hey soze, did you ever get around to comparing these? I'd like to know your thoughts.
Sadly my SCX10.2 still not built. Between the Ascender and the CFX-W... both are really capable.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:29 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

So I finally drove this truck. Not sure if I want to keep it or not, but since this is the second I've built and to date have not gotten even a spec of dirt on the wheels, I was very curious how it drove. So I packed it up and took it for a test drive.

In a word - OK.

Surprisingly, it was very stable on descents, though it wanted to sky the nose while climbing. Thought that was kinda odd since the motor is way up front. It is pretty high up there though, I assume that has an effect. Combined with the short WB it wanted to wheelie on steep ascents. Huh....not at all when I expected. I even had the super heavy 10g knuckle weights! Very nimble as expected though - narrow with a short wheelbase, it turned in a crazy tight circle.

Broncos of the world, UNITE!

Easy....Easy.....

Boom! Carnage. After only 10 minutes on the stick, I rolled backwards while trying to ease up the rock in the last pic and heard a snap. Both body mounts up front sheared off. Very strange, never had that happen to any RC before. Granted, it was in the low 40's, I guess that's the price you pay for the stiffer plastic. I had another set and swapped them right over. when I got home. Also, Vaterra posts drop right on, as do Yeti mounts, so if they snap again, I've got some softer options.

So I'm feeling goodwill to the little guy. Definitely need to mess with the suspension setup a bit. I'd bet the CMX is actually a bit better as it's probably better balanced. I might pick up a trans and swap it over to experiment. Some OD/UD would make all the difference in the world too. Hmm....
Old 04-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Really like the looks of that! Nice job on the window trim!

Too bad about the body mounts. I still don't see a rear bumper
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I can never leave well enough alone...I should learn by now, but oh well.

SO since this truck was wheeling a bit on steep inclines, I wanted to get the CG down a bit lower. The battery sits up kinda on the frame rails. A litle bit of shoddy fabrication later, and I've now got a new home for my little 2200 packs. Also drilled almost through my thumb, that was fun. Good thing my drill is red, after it dries, no one will notice.

I know they don't weigh much, but moved the elctronics down on the other side. Pay no attention to the power drill cord motor wires - it's all I had that was long enough.

Ahh...that's much better!

Even not so sharp eyes can see the t-case is missing from the chassis. Why you ask? Did I say overdrive would help??

Quote:
Some OD/UD would make all the difference in the world too. Hmm....
Oh right!

Work in progress, but so far it works out great. The T-case originally has 1 output up top and a dual output on bottom to connect to the axles. I, in a rare eureka moment, swapped the shafts. Had to leave the e-clips off the lower now upper top shaft for reasons I don't fully understand, but the swap was fairly simple. Top gear is 24t and the lower is 36t....so that's 33% overdrive possible here if my rarely used math skills are correct.

Now the t-case output goes directly to the rear axle sans reduction, and the front connects at a 33% higher ratio. Testing on the bench, there's enough angle that the rear universal is bind free, which was my main concern.

All is not peaches and powder though, the upper layshaft was drilled for a 2mm pin and the lower for a 2.5mm, so going to have to drill out a shaft and make some accommodations on the trans connector thingie to button it up solid. Shouldn't be too hard...I would have finished but my thumb was killing me. Awfully hard to dink with those little shafts without that opposing digit. I'll tackle that tomorrow. Also have to shim a bit since I am no longer using the e-clips up top, but the shaft should stay centered fine once shimmed.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Good idea but you have given the rear the overdrive.

The output shaft on the 36T gear will spin slower than the output on the 24T gear. The rear will spin at the same speed as the transmission output and the front will receive the additional 1.5:1 gear reduction of the transfer case.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #16

It performed well enough to make me order one! It looked like a lot of fun and perfect for some of the trail spots. And since I'm not a big CC-01 fan, this will be my CC-01. Good looking little truck.

Are those MST brand sliders?
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Good idea but you have given the rear the overdrive.

The output shaft on the 36T gear will spin slower than the output on the 24T gear. The rear will spin at the same speed as the transmission output and the front will receive the additional 1.5:1 gear reduction of the transfer case.
Did I mention I always drive in reverse? Clearly you misunderstood...

I knew that was too easy - missing the blindingly obvious....this is what happens when suffering blood loss.

The answer is here somewhere since the shafts can be swapped around...tomorrow is another day! Or course, there's a Plan B in mind, which was Plan A untill I tore apart the t-case

Last edited by OSRC; 04-10-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Are those MST brand sliders?
Yessir, for the CFX-W. Bolt right on
Old 04-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Did I mention I always drive in reverse? Clearly you misunderstood...

I knew that was too easy - missing the blindingly obvious....this is what happens when suffering blood loss.

The answer is here somewhere since the shafts can be swapped around...tomorrow is another day! Or course, there's a Plan B in mind, which was Plan A untill I tore apart the t-case
Rear wheel only steering sounds badass.

Swapping gears in the t-case would get the front an overdrive but I'm not sure the 36T gear would fit up top. Maybe a bracket where you could flip the entire case upside down would work without too much effort.

Either way, you would end up with the driveshafts spinning in opposite directions since it is only a 2 gear case. The shaved down rear axle should be pretty easy to flip so both axles turn in the same direction.

You can figure this out (mostly so I don't have to).
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I was thinking that far ahead - since I shaved the rear axle, a flip was kinda easy. After ruminating on it a bit, Plan A which was the first idea seems easier. Just waiting on the mailman.

Good to know I've got a killer drift set-up should I ever want to go sliding.

OS's MST CFX Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mst cfx mhowzit Max Speed Technology CFX 51 04-16-2018 07:06 AM
Mst cfx-w nerdtek Max Speed Technology CFX 0 02-24-2017 08:01 PM
mst cfx-w axles available hotwheels000 Max Speed Technology CFX 3 01-27-2017 09:27 PM
MST CFX-W Bronco build alexleblanc Max Speed Technology CFX 12 01-25-2017 10:35 AM
Mst cfx-w Rcdood Chit Chat 50 01-11-2017 07:55 AM