Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CFX

Notices

Thread: Akumu - CFX build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #1
v33
Rock Crawler

Default Akumu - CFX build

just got me a brand new Jimny CFX rig, i wont be using the body for now and instead will be fusing it with my jeep 2dr hardshell.

I just have a few gripes with this kit...

1. no pinion included - it would have been nice if they included at least one so we can start using it. the pinion is not compatible with any of my 3 axial rigs, now i need to search for one and have to wait a few days to run this.
2. no panhard/cms - in this day and age, this is a stupid engineering flaw
3. plastic links - wow for a $200+ kit this is what you get?
4. axle parts - geez, just to get one axle assembled you need to install these parts!
5. axle bushings nightmare - this is the killer... stupid bushings instead of bearings!
6. manual sucks - you keep flipping back and forth to check and recheck you are installing the right part or screw!

I dont know why we put up with companies like this. 3Racing Ex-real which sells for less has metal parts, pinion and panhard/cms included! Shame on you Max Speed Technology... this will be my last kit from you if you dont fix your unreasonable cost cutting measures!

anyways, I have assembled the rig and made some progress. will post photos tomorrow. just need to find a pinion so i can do a test run of the rig and make sure i built it correctly.
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #2

Default Re: Akumu - CFX build

Hi, you need a M 0.6 pinion.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
2fast4you2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:37 AM   #3
v33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you2 View Post
Hi, you need a M 0.6 pinion.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Thanks 2fast4you2, I found my set of drift Kawada pinions and those worked... just that my smallest was 19T, i think i need 14T so will just buy for my LHS.

The CFX is actually assembled but I have been working to make sure that there is no breakage on its maiden run.

Drilled out the plastic links and converted it into a sleeve...

used stainless all-thread...

replaced the another flawed part, the shocks and hex hubs...

i actually ordered metal drive shafts but they never arrived during the holidays, good thing it was COD... no worries, I will just order from another vendor.

A good budy of mine is giving me a 3d printed CMS/Panhard bumper mount design. If i ran into problems, i may opt to mod an Axial SCX10 II bumper cms and DIY a panhard chassis mount.

can't wait to get the body mounted, modified, painted and detailed.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by v33; 01-11-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

How are the shocks and hex hubs "flawed?"
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
v33
Rock Crawler

@OSRC, I have seen lots of MST rigs with leaking dampers, comes with 10wt oil. the wheel hub is plastic, it cracks in time, if your wheel gets loose you can loose the pin. come to think of it, maybe flawed is not the best word to describe these parts... they are not good.

what really bothers me is that 3Racing can release a kit that has better features like alloy parts, pinion, CMS/Panhard, and complete bearings for less than US$200. MST is plastic and comes with axle bushings.

If the Boomracing Kronik short chassis conversion was available at Atees or their site, I would have opted to get that in a heartbeat. I rushed into this MST rig just so i can finish my jeep 2dr build that has been gathering dust for months.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #6

I was wondering the same about the "flaws" with the shocks and hexes. The shocks are good. I have no complaints. Hex hubs are fine being plastic, but I don't have crazy power in this truck. The quality if this kit is outstanding. The plastics are as good as it gets. This is a great truck so I'm not sure why you are disappointed.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You have to remember... that the MST kits came out around 2 years before the 3racing kit. A lot can change in 1 or 2 years.

Even so... The quality of MST plastic is by far one of the better plastic compounds I have seen in a kit in comparison with other brands.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
v33
Rock Crawler

The cfx is old, i know, but then you would expect them to sell something better knowing what gets broken easily in its 2 yrs existence.

My buddy used to be a distro of MST back in the days of drifting and the practice is the same as it is now. This is why i am very disappointed.

A few days ago a fellow crawler friend of mine broke his links, while assembling the cfx it made me go back and check for issues and research what can break and what last long... all of the items i listed, countless recommendations from friends and fellow hobbiest that have run their rigs since the cfx came out is what i gathered.

most of my friends run the jimny now (being cute and all) but i plan on running trails using my 4.45mm tires and 4.19 during class 1 competitions. we do mostly time attack events using C1 rigs and the course we have are a little bit more difficult than what i have seen on videos. also we run our rigs hard, trying to tackle C2 trails during meets.

MST has always promoted high-end kits when they started, but support even in Asia was bad. Instead of improving on a product they release new models and this is one of the main reasons my buddy left them.

I hope this clears things up.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33 View Post
The cfx is old, i know, but then you would expect them to sell something better knowing what gets broken easily in its 2 yrs existence.

My buddy used to be a distro of MST back in the days of drifting and the practice is the same as it is now. This is why i am very disappointed.

A few days ago a fellow crawler friend of mine broke his links, while assembling the cfx it made me go back and check for issues and research what can break and what last long... all of the items i listed, countless recommendations from friends and fellow hobbiest that have run their rigs since the cfx came out is what i gathered.

most of my friends run the jimny now (being cute and all) but i plan on running trails using my 4.45mm tires and 4.19 during class 1 competitions. we do mostly time attack events using C1 rigs and the course we have are a little bit more difficult than what i have seen on videos. also we run our rigs hard, trying to tackle C2 trails during meets.

MST has always promoted high-end kits when they started, but support even in Asia was bad. Instead of improving on a product they release new models and this is one of the main reasons my buddy left them.

I hope this clears things up.
Well, I guess these aren't even new models. They're just the same kits with a different body shell. You could say the same thing about a lot of other companies.

Tamiya hasn't updated some of their chassis in decades!

I would however, love to see a completely new chassis from MST. I'm just not sure crawling is their main focus, as most of the updates are drifting related.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #10
v33
Rock Crawler

@soze, yes most are drifting related and out of the box those chassis are plastic fantastic performers... i actually ordered an RMX 2.0S and MST did not ship anything to another good friend who got a dealership here in my country, I hope you guys now understand where my disappointment is coming from. I actually waited 3 mos and the excuses i was getting was they where busy churning out the jimny and the new products that they could not restock the rmx! well this is purely hear say from my friend, this time take it with the grain of salt.

Last edited by v33; 01-14-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
@soze, yes most are drifting related and out of the box those chassis are plastic fantastic performers... i actually ordered an RMX 2.0S and MST did not ship anything to another good friend who got a dealership here in my country, I hope you guys now understand where my disappointment is coming from. I actually waited 3 mos and the excuses i was getting was they where busy churning out the jimny and the new products that they could not restock the rmx! well this is purely hear say from my friend, this time take it with the grain of sand.
Yeah I don't know. I get all my MST stuff from ebay or Asiatees, so it's not like there's a ton of parts available here either. That being said, I haven't had any issues with getting the parts I need from eBay or Asiatees. *shrug* don't know what to say.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 AM   #12
v33
Rock Crawler

sorry for my tirade... now that i got that off my chest lets begin the build!

like i mentioned before the chassis is assembled, but i am waiting to get proper pinions for it (my pinions didnt work) and a new drive shaft, no pics yet.

this is the Jeep 2 door body i plan to use (china generic body), it was supposed to go on an SCX10 II project but there was just so much mods that it would mean scrapping almost 60% of the rig.

i bought the angry bird face plate for it (not in pic). the stock grill had to be remove so that the included radiator will be visible.

also got these fenders, they are rubber like so it wont break (hopefully).

so started removing the hard plastic fenders on the rear. it seems like it will bolt on without issues, i just hope the front will not pose any problems when i cut and mount it.

maybe tomorrow i can start mounting the body. I just really hope the front flares fit else i literally destroyed a hard body.

Thanks for viewing!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:03 PM   #13
v33
Rock Crawler

got the 3d printed cms/panhard mount (abs) today, fit is good but still need to diy panhard links and body mounts.

fenders mounted all around (mock up body placement) but still need to fix this unsightly gap in the front area, it needs reinforcement else the front fenders will rip off and may destroy the body.

I may diy a carbon fiber shock mount so that i can lower the body by around 5mm... this should allow me to fully utilize the 80mm dampers.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by v33; 01-21-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:54 PM   #14
v33
Rock Crawler

Finally made some progress, added material to the front fender areas to mount them properly.

Created mounting brackets for it and temporarily painted the whole body matt black.

My ordered bumper never arrived so I will order another set from a different supplier soon. Also need to wire the electronics and lights.

Contemplating on cutting the roof and making a J1 style jeep, or bend some metal to make a roll cage (my last option since i do not have the tubing to do that).

Thanks for viewing!
Old 12-08-2022, 09:21 AM   #15
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Finally made some progress

Thanks for viewing!
Resurrecting an older build thread. Curious to know how this build turned out.

I have the same China JK body on my GCM Skeleton that I started building at about the same time as this build and it still isn't completed!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Akumu - CFX build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Akumu - SCX10 build v33 Axial SCX-10 31 10-09-2019 05:15 PM
Akumu - SCX10 II build v33 Axial SCX10 II 61 09-07-2019 07:01 AM
Akumu - bomber build v33 Axial RR10 Bomber 42 07-25-2019 01:28 PM
Akumu - Ex Real build v33 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 10-03-2018 06:54 AM
Akumu - Yeti build v33 Axial Yeti 4 03-28-2018 11:54 PM