RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Max Speed Technology CFX (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/max-speed-technology-cfx/)
-   -   Noisy trans? Metric 48 pitch (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/max-speed-technology-cfx/617519-noisy-trans-metric-48-pitch.html)

HKSkook 04-21-2020 06:37 PM

Noisy trans? Metric 48 pitch

My CFX is super noisy. When the motor is out the drive train is quiet. When it’s in its loud. I read somewhere about metric 48 pitch. Is this a thing? Any other ideas? I took tranny apart again everything is right. When the truck is rolling sometimes it quiets down. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSRC 04-21-2020 08:15 PM

Re: Noisy trans? Metric 48 pitch

Yes indeed. The truck requires a metric or mod 6 pinion, they are used by MST and Tamiya primarily. A "std." 48p gear will eventually lunch the spur. Makes a heck of a racket too.

QuesoDelDiablo 04-22-2020 10:50 AM

Just to clarify terminology for you - Metric 48P isn't a thing. It's either 48p OR metric. As was mentioned you do need a metric pinion gear, but it's called Mod 6 not 48p. To be completely clear, 48p is NOT compatible with Mod 6. Your pinion and spur both need to be the same spec.

If your drivetrain is loud once the motor goes in and you're using the correct gear, you may be setting the gear mesh too tight.

svt923 04-22-2020 11:38 AM

Like others have said, you need a mod .6 pinion. Whenever I do need that pitch, I use the Robinson Racing ones since a lot of the other options are made of rather soft materials.

Robinson Racing Products - 0.6 mod motor pinion gears

HKSkook 04-22-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 6016034)
Yes indeed. The truck requires a metric or mod 6 pinion, they are used by MST and Tamiya primarily. A "std." 48p gear will eventually lunch the spur. Makes a heck of a racket too.

Thank you. I got it now

Android 08-05-2020 02:47 AM

Hi!
My CFX also has a pretty noisy gearbox - buddies even call my truck the diesel :D The question is - is the pinion gear included in the kit the wrong type? I used the spur and pinion included in the kit, and it is still very noisy.

fyrstormer 08-16-2020 09:12 PM

"Metric 48 pitch" is a stupid nickname and I want to punch the person who thought of it. Mod 0.6 is 42.3333 pitch, so it would make much more sense to give Mod 0.6 the nickname "Metric 42 pitch". The real Metric equivalent of 48 pitch is Mod 0.5, but that is still different enough from real 48 pitch that it will make a lot of noise. Anyway, you can probably fit a Team Associated 48 pitch spur gear into your CFX's transmission, eliminating the need to buy special pinion gears from now on.

If you have a noisy gearbox and you've determined the pinion/spur gears are not the problem, then the next thing I'd check is the tips of the gear teeth. If they are pointy enough to catch the ridges on your fingerprints, then the tips of the gear teeth are almost certainly bottoming-out in the spaces between the teeth on the meshing gear. I had that problem with a SSD RC 2-speed transmission kit for my SCX10 II; eventually I figured out what the problem was, jimmied the problematic gear onto my Dremel, and spun it while using a diamond file to shave-down the tips of the teeth. It was MUCH quieter after that.