Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CFX
Loading

Notices

Thread: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: MIAMI
Posts: 417
Default A little Love for MST CMX-W

I noticed MST doesn't get a lot of love around here, so in hopes of boosting its prospects thought I'd share some pics of the recent build I did for the Misses who's a huge Toyota fan.

Gotta say, of all our rigs this one turned out the cutest.



As usual I brushed on acrylic custom mixed to match this 1-1.



The kit was a fun build and went together really well.



Tried to dress up the cage with some accessories and painted the light bezels silver



Itís box stock for now except for the wheel/tire combo. I wanted to try my modified SCX10 III tires with every other center nob removed, but will probably install SSD steelies and Hyrax clone tires eventually.




My impression is that this is a first-rate platform with solid design and engineering.
The only substandard part are the tires that are so hard they can support the truck WITHOUT the foams installed, hereís proof:



And thatís with a heavy NIMH battery sitting in the back! IMO the tires are only good for display purposes and oneís already gracing the back of my UMG10 as the spare.

Speaking of Mogs, I really like that the body/cage rotate up and out the way for service.



OK, but can it climb, you ask?? With the remnant of Hurricane Zeta hitting South Florida this weekend, we werenít able to take it out for a test drive. But that didnít keep us from using our cat furniture to test it!!

https://studio.youtube.com/video/uDYxvjxRw3Q/edit

Let me know what you guys think??


Last edited by JimInMiami; 11-09-2020 at 07:25 AM.
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 4,120
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Great looking truck, color is spot on!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: MIAMI
Posts: 417
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Great looking truck, color is spot on!
Thanks!
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Roanoke
Posts: 161
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Looks awesome! The FJ40 is one mean looking truck with a rear cage

Sent from my U693CL using Tapatalk
CD02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: MIAMI
Posts: 417
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD02 View Post
Looks awesome! The FJ40 is one mean looking truck with a rear cage

Sent from my U693CL using Tapatalk
Thanks and agreed, I like that body so much I'm thinking of ordering one for one of my other chassis.
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:52 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 155
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Looks great!
Nicadraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:07 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: MIAMI
Posts: 417
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicadraus View Post
Looks great!
Thanks!
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 262
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

looks cool!
I've one to build too, that will be my third CFX-W
For your body, a nice realistic touch would be to draw all junction body lines with an extra fine black felt pen, like the ones to write on plastic and CD
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: MIAMI
Posts: 417
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockspider View Post
looks cool!
I've one to build too, that will be my third CFX-W
For your body, a nice realistic touch would be to draw all junction body lines with an extra fine black felt pen, like the ones to write on plastic and CD
Thanks, that's a good suggestion, but unless there's a very well defined grove for the pen tip to ride in, I'm afraid my hands just aren't steady enuf
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Brunswick,Canada
Posts: 1,425
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
Thanks, that's a good suggestion, but unless there's a very well defined grove for the pen tip to ride in, I'm afraid my hands just aren't steady enuf
Another good way to define your lines is a black wash the whole body and wipe off excess...I suggest you google it first before you attempt..
Nice truck by the way...
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Taylors Falls just hanging with the MNRCRC crew.
Posts: 7,843
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Nice job, it looks great in blue. I have two MST drift cars but no trucks yet. If the trucks are as nice as they're cars they will do really well, no question.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: MIAMI
Posts: 417
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
Another good way to define your lines is a black wash the whole body and wipe off excess...I suggest you google it first before you attempt..
Nice truck by the way...
Hummm, I will look that up, thanks for the tip!!
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: MIAMI
Posts: 417
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Nice job, it looks great in blue. I have two MST drift cars but no trucks yet. If the trucks are as nice as they're cars they will do really well, no question.
Thanks, wifey is happy with the color. I've been in RC all my life, tho mostly in planes. Tried crawlers after visiting a local crawling course (happens to be next to my rc flying field) at the end of last year and got totally hooked. https://markhampark.com/rc-truck-and-crawler-course/
It's amazing how much fun you can have going slow!!

Last edited by JimInMiami; 11-12-2020 at 12:57 PM. Reason: content
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Silver Spring
Posts: 4
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

wow so nice.
vinha916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:49 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: MIAMI
Posts: 417
Default Like Pretzels??

So the wife's been having fun with her FJ 45 for the past month and even ran it in our club's fun comp in December. With a few mods the rig can handle pretty much everything in the Markham park crawler course. We added some brass to the front: https://www.rcmart.com/xtra-speed-br...24001-00083542 and 8mm wide hexes to widen the stance a bit.

It's held up pretty well to the use with one exception:



That's the SECOND shaft thats turned into a plastic pretzel. When the first one failed I figure she had just gotten a wheel stuck somewhere and applied too much throttle, but this second one leads me to think the part is simply not up to the job. She has WAY more hours on her TRX-4 on the same course with zero failures.

We've since replaced the plastic MST drive shaft with the optional all metal unit part # 210574: https://www.ebay.com/itm/210574-MST-...-/113714130046 I think anyone considering this rig for anything more than light-duty trail running should order the metal drive shaft along with the kit.
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Erie
Posts: 496
Default Re: Like Pretzels??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
So the wife's been having fun with her FJ 45 for the past month and even ran it in our club's fun comp in December. With a few mods the rig can handle pretty much everything in the Markham park crawler course. We added some brass to the front: https://www.rcmart.com/xtra-speed-br...24001-00083542 and 8mm wide hexes to widen the stance a bit.

It's held up pretty well to the use with one exception:



That's the SECOND shaft thats turned into a plastic pretzel. When the first one failed I figure she had just gotten a wheel stuck somewhere and applied too much throttle, but this second one leads me to think the part is simply not up to the job. She has WAY more hours on her TRX-4 on the same course with zero failures.

We've since replaced the plastic MST drive shaft with the optional all metal unit part # 210574: https://www.ebay.com/itm/210574-MST-...-/113714130046 I think anyone considering this rig for anything more than light-duty trail running should order the metal drive shaft along with the kit.

Gonna bump this. Jim, my friendís CFX-W twisted and snapped both center shafts on itís very first run. After hearing that I prepped mine during the build by filling the hollow spline with 2 part epoxy. Mine got a good handful of runs but eventually twisted as well. Both of us replaced them with the center shafts for an Element Enduro. They bolt right on and no problems since, and this rig gets more use than almost all of my others. Iíve been debating doing 4 wheel steering on mine since itís already set up for it given that the rear axle is already just a 2nd front axle with a lockout to keep the knuckles straight. Just need the 2 steering links for the rear axle. Truck already has impressive turning so 4ws would be the danglies!
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: MIAMI
Posts: 417
Default Re: Like Pretzels??

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
Gonna bump this. Jim, my friendís CFX-W twisted and snapped both center shafts on itís very first run. After hearing that I prepped mine during the build by filling the hollow spline with 2 part epoxy. Mine got a good handful of runs but eventually twisted as well. Both of us replaced them with the center shafts for an Element Enduro. They bolt right on and no problems since, and this rig gets more use than almost all of my others. Iíve been debating doing 4 wheel steering on mine since itís already set up for it given that the rear axle is already just a 2nd front axle with a lockout to keep the knuckles straight. Just need the 2 steering links for the rear axle. Truck already has impressive turning so 4ws would be the danglies!
Hey KD, yeah - no doubt it seems that the engineers at MST did not correctly estimate the loads on the longer rear drive shaft on the 313mm chassis. We've run the rig extensively since my January posting and all else has held up fine. The rig gets a ton of compliments when out on the rocks and is a pretty decent crawler to boot.
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Erie
Posts: 496
Default Re: A little Love for MST CMX-W

Remove the shock springs and run it full droop and your jaw will hit the floor
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



A little Love for MST CMX-W - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MST CMX Bronco! andymac0035 Max Speed Technology CMX 16 07-23-2020 01:00 AM
Mst cmx waqr Videos! 0 03-05-2020 12:49 AM
MST CMX TJ take 2 03NCTJ Max Speed Technology CMX 34 07-11-2017 06:52 PM
MST-CMX YJ build JDHog Max Speed Technology CMX 18 07-05-2017 11:12 PM
Mst cmx way6317 Max Speed Technology CMX 19 09-04-2016 06:51 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com