Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CMX

Notices

Thread: MST CFX 1/10 Landfreeder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 03:47 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default MST CFX 1/10 Landfreeder

My cfx with landfreeder body by tamiya

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Nzmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2017, 03:49 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: MST CFX 1/10 Landfreeder

I made a cms and panhard setup

Old 06-26-2017, 03:54 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Im planning on attaching front and rear bumpers, a roll bar and internal rollcage. im just trying to figure out how. the rock sliders are just pipe bent in a U, where i drilled holes in the chassis rail and pit screws through into the tube from inside.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:56 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

First one I've seen with that body - looks great!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks, this body worked out great, it also allowed me to use the 242mm wheelbase that i wanted. The wheel arches are a bit small though

Old 06-27-2017, 02:24 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

This is how the sliders are mounted, extra hole is for cage and the cage sides mounted they fit snugly into the roof. I will add a brace between them at the top when i get some more countersunk M4 screws

Old 06-28-2017, 02:30 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Not a good day for the cfx today, i broke the front driveshaft: but i fixed it with the extra male shaft for the longer wheelbase and trimmed it down i think it might be stronger anyway. After i got it fixed i went back out and carried on for a while, until it suddenly died, esc unresponsive, no lights on esc or receiver. Looking into it, i think i have somehow blown the servo and esc simultaneously! At least now i can focus on modifications rather than getting distracted with driving it

Old 07-01-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Super cool rig, I love that body. I've also been eyeballing a Blackfoot or Vaterra V100 body for one of mine, I have three and I love them

I lost a front drive shaft the same way last week and had an extra short one cuz I made my D90 with the long wheel base.

I ordered a new set of plastic shafts and if I break another I'll look to upgrade.
spaceman5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks man, i was looking at the blackfoot too, but im tryna keep this cheap and by the time youve got all the different parts together for a hardbody its gonna be expensive.
ive got a bag of random axial wildboar driveshaft parts around somewhere, ill probably cut one down and use that when this breaks haha.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:24 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Matteo's rc movies on youtube has a cool blackfoot on a cfx

Old 08-04-2017, 03:56 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Ok so i got back from holiday and did some stuff. cage inside took it for a run in the dark with a head torch
After photo this is a really fun truck and has impressed me a lot. Its fun to drive and so far has been very durable, ive only had problems with driveshafts. The option to have a full interior is great and i plan on doing it someday. If youre concerned about buying a cfx/cmx because of their lack of bumpers or rocksliders and the lack of upgrade parts currently, dont be. All the tube work on mine has been done with the following tools only: a hacksaw, a half round file, a vice, and a drill. It just takes some time, patience and planning. I will be getting a friend to weld up some joints now that its held together by screws, as its taken some hard hits and aluminium doesnt take well to being bent and straightened.

Last edited by Nzmaximus; 08-07-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Dude, I am so jealous! I would really love to get my hands on that body. I learned to drive in a 1990 Ranger and the first car I ever bought was a 1991 Ranger.

Looking good, keep up the good work!
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:22 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thanks! You should be able to get your hands on one if you keep an eye out on ebay, there were 2 on there when i got this one a couple months ago. It didnt come with masks or stickers though, which was a bummer. that was such a pain

Old 08-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I remade the bumpers out of thicker tube and they are stronger now. I got some better photos of the cms if anyone wants to do it
I also installed my 3racing winch i have laying around from another build that was repurposed, along with my budget remote controller. By the way, a 3racing winch comes alive with 3s pumped into it! This video explains the cms and winch setup: https://youtu.be/dyqihQnIuX4

Last edited by Nzmaximus; 08-07-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:13 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzmaximus View Post
Thanks! You should be able to get your hands on one if you keep an eye out on ebay, there were 2 on there when i got this one a couple months ago. It didnt come with masks or stickers though, which was a bummer.

Wow, that had to suck!
mhowzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:10 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

So i was mucking around with the cfx on some dirt piles when i heard some squeaking, and decided to do a full mechanical rebuild seeing as i havent opened it up since building.
Hmmm... The gears are in there somewhere
Axles removed, no problems... some pics of the custom suspension/steering
now remove a bunch of stuff, front bumper, front chassis brace, shock hoops and slide the transmission out the front of the c-channel
Thats everything removed, now just to strip it down
Transfer case gears are mint
So are is the gearbox, this is very good for a stock gearset
Now for the axles. This is venom creeper axle, similar to scx10. 2 screws in the c-hub and the entire shaft/hub/knuckle/stub axle/wheel slides out in 1 piece. do this on both sides and remove 4 screws around pumpkin and the diff/pinion comes out. Unfortunately, MST didnt use this design.
Remove wheels,hexes and drive pins:
Remove knuckle from c-hub:
Remove stub axle from shaft:
Remove c-hub from axle, first removing lower link because its in the way:
Now the four screws on the pumpkin... Hold on, the upper link mount is in the way of the screws:
Now the axle will come apart, which reveals some mint gears:
I decided to crack open the differentials to look at the plastic spools everyone is saying wont last: honestly dont look at all different to when i put them in. The rear has NO slop from ring gear all the way out to each wheel, the front has a tiny bit from the shafts being in halves and in the cvs, but less than any other crawler ive had. This is the pile of parts i had to remove to be able to grease each gear in the truck:
This thin is a pig to maintain. Just to put it in perspective, on a v1 scx10 it takes 28 screws to grease every gear. On a cfx it takes 65. However, if built well with good grease and driven reasonably carefully with small tyres and brushed power, you probably wouldnt ever need to take it apart. Its built massively strong for its size, and i dont think anything in the drivetrain is gonna break other than driveshafts.

Now i just gotta do this all over again in the opposite order

Mst cfx
Axial wraith
Axial yeti
8x venom creeper

Last edited by Nzmaximus; 08-27-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:05 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

You've answered a LOT of questions I had about the MST Chassis!!
Matteo has at least FIVE in his videos, but this is my first real close look. It looks extremely strong, and considerably more fun in terrain than the CC-01 under my Landfreeder now!!
I fabricated a Holiday Buggy Interior Plate in it, but a full Interior, possible with the CFX, sounds like a great idea to me!! I plan on using 1.55's with 96mm Tires, so this should hold up nicely. Certainly a performance increase over the over modified CC-01 under it now!!!
Besides, I just think that planetary Gearbox looks COOL!!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Thanks, the mst sure is a fun rig to crawl around and i think this size looks much more realistic than a typical scale crawler. The planetary gearbox is very cool and very strong, however is rather noisy and i dont think it will handle much more speed very well, too many moving parts and it sounds like its gonna shake itself to bits when i run at full speed (with a low turn brushed motor and 3s)

Mst cfx
Axial wraith
Axial yeti
8x venom creeper
Old 01-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzmaximus View Post
Not a good day for the cfx today... i think i have somehow blown the servo and esc simultaneously! At least now i can focus on modifications rather than getting distracted with driving it.
ROTFL!!! Spoken like a true RCC member! We love wrenchin' and moddin' just as much or more than drivin'!
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

That looks a fun setup.
I'm liking this kit more and more....its one i never worry about breaking it just keeps trucking.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote

MST CFX 1/10 Landfreeder - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mst cfx mhowzit Max Speed Technology CFX 51 04-16-2018 07:06 AM
Mst cfx d90 spaceman5280 Max Speed Technology CFX 10 08-15-2017 09:03 PM
Mst cfx-w nerdtek Max Speed Technology CFX 0 02-24-2017 08:01 PM
mst cfx-w axles available hotwheels000 Max Speed Technology CFX 3 01-27-2017 09:27 PM
Mst cfx-w Rcdood Chit Chat 50 01-11-2017 07:55 AM