Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CMX

Notices

Thread: Jato Got a CMX Unimog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #81

Default Re: Jato Got a CMX Unimog

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Those were my thoughts when I build my CFX-W last year. Packaging was nice and organized, plastics were great, and engineering was nice as well. It's a shame MST Crawlers haven't gained more traction here in the States. They really needed to be available at LHS's and multiple online shops. Amain alone wasn't enough to carry the torch. Probably would've helped to do some marketing in this market as well.
Yes, the MST rigs surely don't get the love they deserve. If people tried them they would love them. Even these little CFX and CMX trucks. They are world's better than the CC-01 that certainly sells more.

Do you still have your CFX-W? How was the performance and durability?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yes, the MST rigs surely don't get the love they deserve. If people tried them they would love them. Even these little CFX and CMX trucks. They are world's better than the CC-01 that certainly sells more.

Do you still have your CFX-W? How was the performance and durability?
I still have it. It's my main rig. I think it performs great, and it's been quite durable for me. It's taken a few falls of a small cliff lol.

Some people on here did have issues with the portal gears though. One guy was using it on a sporty with aggressive driving. The other I think just had a heavy rig.

My rig is relatively light, and powered with 2S on a 35T brushed motor... so I don't think I've stressed much at all. I guess moving to a brushless setup on 3S could put more stress on the portal gears?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:59 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
As I stated earlier, MST products are well engineered. The quality of their plastics is also second to none. Even the three tiny screws that hold the metal ring gear to the plastic diff housing have a hard stop when they get tight. There's no guessing when you're at the point of being tight unlike some of the other brands (*cough* Axial *cough*) where you can't tell if the screw is tight or on the verge of stripping out the hole.

I can 100% agree with you there...I've only built the transmission and chassis (waiting on beef tubes to install while building) and it was a sheer pleasure to work on. I built an SCX10.2 kit version twice (first and last time at the same time) and never ever again will I ever..lol. It was such a royal pain to build...
DarthBacon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBacon101 View Post
I can 100% agree with you there...I've only built the transmission and chassis (waiting on beef tubes to install while building) and it was a sheer pleasure to work on. I built an SCX10.2 kit version twice (first and last time at the same time) and never ever again will I ever..lol. It was such a royal pain to build...
Totally. The Gmade Sawback was my 1st scale crawler, the MST CFX-W was my 2nd. Building the SCX10.2 after those 2 was sort of a letdown after the MST, but I had to build it since I actually got it a year before the MST and had it sitting in the box as temporary makeshift furniture.

I like the SCX10.2, but you can tell the materials aren't as nice, and some of the braces, battery tray/servo mount were kind of annoying the way those were designed. The deficiencies got even more compounded after I built the HoBao DC1 shortly afterwards.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I like the SCX10.2, but you can tell the materials aren't as nice, and some of the braces, battery tray/servo mount were kind of annoying the way those were designed. The deficiencies got even more compounded after I built the HoBao DC1 shortly afterwards.
Exactly! And people who only know Axials don't understand this.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #86

The astute readers among you will notice some of this verbiage is copied from my Venture thread as it applies to both.

I had off Tuesday and I was able to get in a fairly long trail run with OSRC. It was extremely hot and humid and yellow jackets were everywhere for some reason, but it was much better than being at work. Before the trail run with other trucks we took out our MST rigs for some testing on the rock bed down by the stream.

This will probably be more of a photo update than anything since this truck flat out works well. I don't see it happening without an extreme price drop, but I really hope this truck does start getting the love it deserves both from customers and aftermarket companies. It's a great truck. It's a ton of fun and I recommend everybody add one to their fleet!

Yes, it climbed this no problem. It didn't drag or get hung up on the rocks and the Goodyear MTRs grabbed the rock right through the moss and slime. This truck pretty much climbs everything except where lots of traction is needed. It's such a light truck that that becomes a drawback in "slickery" situations.

Flex is overrated!

And a shot down by the stream because pretty pictures!

Old 09-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

I've only put a couple of miles on my CFX so far, but so far my impression is similar to yours. These trucks work well. And they're fun. If the durability is there I'll be very happy.

The MT/Rs work great on these rigs.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
I've only put a couple of miles on my CFX so far, but so far my impression is similar to yours. These trucks work well. And they're fun. If the durability is there I'll be very happy.

The MT/Rs work great on these rigs.
MST has a great reputation on road and it appears that they have brought everything they know to the off-road world. I'm sure these trucks will last. If nothing else the light weight really helps cut down wear and tear on the parts.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #89
RCC Addict

I can say one thing...their plastic is solid.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:51 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Great looking little unimog you have there.

Even with the small issues, this thread is making it tempting to buy a CMX!

Last edited by 701 Technique; 04-20-2020 at 08:51 PM.
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:53 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
Great looking little unimog yo have there.

Even with the small issues, this thread is making it tempting to buy a CMX!
Thank you. It's a very fun little rig. I highly recommend it if you want a CC01 size rig.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:06 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Man..... I want to build a MST now. I didn’t realize how well made they are. Nice build Jato!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
Man..... I want to build a MST now. I didn’t realize how well made they are. Nice build Jato!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! It's definitely worth having one of these little MST's.

Jato Got a CMX Unimog - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to cmx snapon boy Max Speed Technology CMX 30 02-11-2018 10:41 AM
CMX Avalanche Zukiiholic Max Speed Technology CMX 6 10-25-2017 09:18 PM
MST CMX TJ take 2 03NCTJ Max Speed Technology CMX 34 07-11-2017 06:52 PM
Mst cmx way6317 Max Speed Technology CMX 19 09-04-2016 06:51 AM