Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CMX

Notices

Thread: OS's MST CMX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default OS's MST CMX

Had so much fun with my CFX I picked this up out of the classifieds to mess with. (Thanks Highmark! Great guy to deal with.)

All of the pics were on my old iphone5, which has officially died, so there's really no good pics to go with the long and mostly boring story I had planned comparing the CMX and the CFX, so here's how it sits currently.

Stole the body, wheels, sliders, and tires from the CFX and moved them over to here. Looks identical.

I did finally break down and make a rear bumper. Just a simple tube bumper to keep the rear of the body from hanging up

Chassis was torn down and added bearings - which took forever I might add. I ditched the huge battery tray and radio box and mounted up a CFX rear battery tray up front. I can now either run the battery way up front or down further on the chassis rails. I'll do some testing to see which way works best.

Running the stock servo and 26t motor for now. Not sure what else I'm going to do to this rig yet....Thinking I'll keep this one mostly stock and then mod the heck out of the CFX. Do plan on ordering some 1.55 Baby Hustlers though - they are the perfect size for this truck.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2018, 07:40 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: OS's MST CMX

Can't wait to hear your thoughts comparing the two.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:49 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I run versions of both and have noticeably better results with the CFX. TBH, the CMX has a CC size lexan body and the CFX has a China JK hardbody so the CFX suspension has been massaged a bit more, but it's much more capable. Front motor mount FTW.

I'm also running 1.55 Trailloser takeoffs on the CMX and 1.9 Pitbulls on the CFX, so...yeah.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Minor update:

After running the stock motor and servo - they had to go. Servo is gutless, and the motor is a 26t. Even geared down a bit, it was was too fast. Added a 35t motor with the smallest pinion in my stash and a trusty 645MG. Test driving around the basement, it's much better.

Also, I tried out MST's pivot balls. Ordered a brass and aluminum set which strangely weigh exactly the same. At least my scale isn't precise enough to tell the difference. Don't feel any smoother than the plastic set-up, but I'm sure it will wear much better. Moved the knuckles weights over from my CFX as well since they didn't clear the new wheels. Definitely helps the weight bias - got 53.5% over the front wheels now. I like about 55/45, so I'm in the ballpark.

Also picked up some 80mm shocks to play with, but after some measurements they actually have less travel the the stockers. I left them off for now. Do plan to make some new shock towers with more adjustment than the stock towers, though they really aren't needed. The stock set-up works great - I just like to geek around.

Last edited by OSRC; 08-19-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Got the CMX out on the wild finally. Testing on the backyard course is fun, but nothing beats getting out into nature.

Did great! The CMX seems to be better balanced than the CFX. Maybe not the best climber, but really stable and predictable for such a short wheelbase. Really a fun little truck!

The Mudthrashers need some breaking in, they were not the best...especially on such a light rig and with muddy, wet conditions. Do fit the truck perfectly though. Counts for something I guess.

There's a large rock that's kind of a standard test for all my rigs - it's in the pic above. The CMX couldn't get up there, but the CFX did. Definitely climbs better with the better tires and motor up front. I think the CMX can do it, just needs a bit of tuning.

I strangely have no urge to mess with anything on this truck. Maybe wheels and tires, and play around with the stock springs/oil in the shocks, but no plans to really change anything else. It's very fun to wheel just as it is.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I love your MST rigs. The way you reshaped the front bumper is sweet.

I get what you're saying about not wanting to tinker. They just seem to work.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote

OS's MST CMX - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS's MST CFX Bronco OSRC Max Speed Technology CFX 49 12-05-2018 11:20 AM
My mst cmx with different bodies. ROB850R Max Speed Technology CMX 12 12-05-2017 09:12 PM
Body for MST CMX? Desmo Max Speed Technology CMX 10 09-16-2017 04:50 AM
MST CMX TJ take 2 03NCTJ Max Speed Technology CMX 34 07-11-2017 06:52 PM
Mst cmx way6317 Max Speed Technology CMX 19 09-04-2016 06:51 AM