Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CMX

Notices

Thread: MST CMX Bronco!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default MST CMX Bronco!

So this happened.

Been working on this one all weekend (it's been a while since I've built a kit). Ordered it from Australia When My CC-01 Pajero Rally got held up in China. Then this one looked like it might get delayed too, which led to other trucks I now have and/or need to build... LOL

Anyways..... Got it built for the most part, but struggled with the stock rx box, (didn't like how it fit and where the wires were in relation to the front driveshaft, which led to a traxxas box added to the rear of the chassis. Fit and finish of the parts and quality of the plastics seems really good. The manual was pretty good too.

I thought I was going to have to ditch the stock motor/esc, but was surprised to see it had a drag brake (I thought I had read somewhere that it didn't?). The motor may get changed to a 35T, but for now it's okay.

Once I had it together enough to run I went out to that nearby crawling course to check out how it ran. I still had things to finalise (you can see the body posts hanging way down in need of trimming). The stock tires with no foams seem decent, I'm hoping to get some use out of these.

andymac0035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: MST CMX Bronco!

So then of course came the mods and/or finishing touches (but we're never really finished are we?).

I wanted some kind of rock rails or something to support the sides of the body (I believe the term for this style is "boat-sides"?). These where a pain to make with the tools I had to work with, but I'm happy with how it came out. I used a scrap short-course chassis from a team durango DESC210, and knowing the guy I got it from, it was the dimetek chassis which is harder/tougher, which explains why it was such a PITA to cut up.

...and then I realized I was going to have to remove the frame rails to get the mounting holes drilled properly.
Thankfully, taking one rail off at a time was not that big of a deal.

That looks much better!

I also used some velcro on the sides.

Then came some finishing touches (stickers), as I always struggle with how many to add. I had my Wife help out a little, and this is what we came up with.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

......and here's the pay-off! I finally got it out on the trail! It was a short run, but once I stopped trying to drive it like a larger truck the fun began. The stock tires are decent, and I'm hoping they get better as they break in.

Things on my to-do list include moving the esc and rx to the sides and getting the battery lower in front. I'll also be adding some lead on top of the servo to help keep that nose down. I ran it with a shorty-pack and it's still way to tippy. The trucks really light, and feels too bouncy. I've got the softest springs in it, and stock shock oil.

Does anyone make a metal version of the oddly shaped servo horn MST uses?
Old 05-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Did some more work to the CMX!

Lead, and general weight tuning happened.
Shorty-battery moved all the way forward. I had thought just behind the axle would be better, but nope, I was wrong.
1.5 oz added to the servo and 1.5oz added to the chassis.

Light kit I had laying around.

Axial beadlocks with 1.5oz per wheel.
Hot bodies rover tires! I have wanted to find a set for a long time.

I thought the WB was not quite right when I put the body on. Seemed like the front axle needed to go forward a bit. Added some spacers to the front links. Had originally wanted to build it so I'd lengthen the rear, but with the bumper the way it is I thought this would help my approach angle. I had to do a little clearancing for the servo, but it came out okay I think.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Took the Bronco about a mile up Mt Cardigan today! I was super-impressed with how well it did. It tackles inclines I did not think it could with the SWB and is comparable in that regard to my SCX10's. It's small size it's the only thing that really stops it, although sometimes that actually is a help. The weight added to the chassis and wheels has given it the stability it was lacking, and the Rovers gave it the grip and a little extra clearance.

I was very surprised that the 26T motor does not get hot. I does not do too bad at low speeds, and the high end punch for getting over stuff is nice. The esc I'm not sure on though. It's drag brake hits pretty hard (and I'm used to that, but it's a bit much even for me), and also I think it's BSC must be pretty weak. It kept doing this thing where if I held the front wheels at full lock for too long (like when I was trying to take pics) that the servo would go to neutral. It didn't do that before I added the lights, so I'm thinking that's what it is.

Anyways.... pics!

Old 05-30-2020, 10:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Before and after vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bZiaeCMrm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGBIDRbyubs

Old 05-31-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I found out pretty quick you need a soft drag brake on these, otherwise they cartwheel downhill! This is one of the few truck I run weighted wheels on, it makes a ton of difference. I also have a few stick on weights behind the servo.

Looks like you are having fun!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Oh yes, the fun-level is off the scale!

When I put the HW 1080 in there I might swap the motor with an axial 27T I have sittin' in the parts-bin. I might see if I have a slightly smaller pinion too, but I dunno... I do like that top-end speed it has for places where momentum is your friend.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Nice! The CMX is a nice platform especially since it's scaled more on the Tamiya side of 1/10.

How's Clodtalk? I haven't visited in a while.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:31 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice! The CMX is a nice platform especially since it's scaled more on the Tamiya side of 1/10.

How's Clodtalk? I haven't visited in a while.
So far this CMX is doing everything I wish my CC01 Bronco could do (and it did a lot for what it was).

CT has been slow, I think I post over here more than I do there.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Took out the stock esc+motor, and replaced them with a HW1080 and a 27t axial motor. Seems to crawl pretty good/slow, but still has a nice burst of speed when I want it. Seems to have fixed the issue I was having with the servo not holding position for extended periods.

Took the CMX over the the Weathersfield trail on Mt Ascutney and it did pretty good. I always take my trucks across that fallen tree. It looks easy, but there's a knot part way across it that will mess you up if you're not careful.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Another great outing with the CMX!

Old 06-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

This truck keeps on surprising me. Some of the steeper stuff it pulls off I really didn't expect it to do.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Took a run up the Brownsville trail on Mt Ascutney today. Gave the CMX Bronco a workout. Unfortunately on the way back down there was some carnage and I found myself with 3WD. I thought I had sheared a front CVD drive pin.... turns out the whole ball-end of the axle shaft snapped right off, so the Bronco is out of commission until new parts arrive.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:51 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

^^ Looks like an awesome place to wheel!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
^^ Looks like an awesome place to wheel!
Yeah, Mt Ascutney has some really good trails.

So about that breakage. I'm still kinda' shocked that the whole ball-end of the axle shaft snapped right off. I was looking at parts in stock over at A-main and was happy these were in stock, but noticed something.... the same part (with the same joint design) for the CFX-W was out of stock.... and oh my!... there were some very bad reviews of that part.... I mean ALL seven reviews were bad, not a single good one. That's too bad, as I was really interested in the CFX-W, but not any more. I'm guessing it's not as big a deal with e smaller-tired rigs like my CMX, but "lucky-me" who runs 3S and bigger/wider than stock tires with some weight ....

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mst-mpa...310094/p618344
Old 07-23-2020, 01:00 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Carnage shots

what it's supposed to look like:

what it currently looks like:

MST CMX Bronco! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mst cmx waqr Videos! 0 03-05-2020 12:49 AM
Chino63's MST CMX Bronco chino63 Max Speed Technology CMX 32 12-21-2018 12:25 AM
MST CMX Bronco spaceman5280 Max Speed Technology CMX 16 12-25-2017 08:50 AM
Mst cmx way6317 Max Speed Technology CMX 19 09-04-2016 06:51 AM