Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Max Speed Technology CMX

Notices

Thread: Cute Little Buggers!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Cute Little Buggers! (Jimny's)

Just picked up two rtr Jimny's... Cute little buggers! A his & hers lol, and the wife has actually taken to it and drives it around the house .
A killer deal from Amain with $100 off each model plus I had $130 off from rewards points... Score!!!
I will just tune on these, with the wife's being left bone stock, and I will do minor upgrades to mine.

Fresh out of the box

And on the the surgery table.

For what they are, they crawl around the yard pretty good. I can do small improvements (I hope!), but they are what they are. Fun little critters!
Tuning to come...

The wife's is the Silver Bullet & mine is Old Blue...

Last edited by Maxxamillion; 12-09-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Cute Little Buggers!

My first change is 3.67" tires vs the 3.50" stockers. RC4WD Compass tires on PitBull wheels, 1.5" rims down from the stock 1.9" wheels.
My other change is angling the shocks, netting I hope a bit softer ride and a slight lowered ride height. But of course with taller tires I had to go up one hole on the body posts.
It was about a softer ride & less bounce. Trade offs. The little Jimny body doesn't like big tires so much... But I adjusted.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #3
RCC Addict

But if yours starts out-performing hers then she's gonna want you to upgrade hers too... although if you like wrenching as I do, that's a win-win lol. Cool little rigs.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yes indeed high plains drifter, cool little buggers! It worked on the wife lol, she thinks its cute & got her driving it. No film possible or it will be my demise.
Well ok a quick pic lol. She's a house driver so far.

With the PitBull wheels sitting farther out, I had to clearance... I pulled the front axle forward about 3/16" & trimmed the rear of the front fender flare slightly. I hated to do it but its pretty unnoticeable.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:04 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Nice rigs. Just experienced my first MST recently (DC1). Do you mind me asking what the Amain deal on these was?
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Oh, and if you want to sell those stock black 5-spoke take-off rims, let me know. The DC1 was supposed to come with those but the kits inevitably shipped with a version of a steelie. The only MST 5 spoke Amain had in stock when I bought the kit were dark chrome. I painted them with flack black but the paint scratches off very easily.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:01 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheTrail View Post
Nice rigs. Just experienced my first MST recently (DC1). Do you mind me asking what the Amain deal on these was?
Sure OTT, the sale is over now but as I initially mentioned, $100 off per r/c! So $299 down to $199, plus my $130 off with accumulated rewards points.
Quite the deal if you ask me. My first MST also, although I have a JP1 body on a Vanquish.

I am hanging on to the original wheels for now. They actually hooked up really well on my rocks, surprisingly. Waiting for shock towers, shocks & lights to arrive.
Oh then I'll go -1 on the pinion as they are geared a bit too tall IMO. Thats about all I suppose.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Nice, was looking at these. Been looking for a place up north of the 49th parallel that actually carries them.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:06 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I went about in an odd way to angle my shocks with my stock towers... Moved them at the bottom which lent itself well. The clearances were there.
Slightly more supple and a tad lower...

So... I just received my Samix shock towers today... Slightly more angle, and slightly more supple! Kept the shocks outside of the double shear.

I do feel my Jimny articulates better (or just softer) than stock now. Minimal? Probably so... Or perceived? Maybe. But we know angled shocks can be a good setup... Most of the time.
I just like to diddle with stuff...
Old 12-10-2021, 06:54 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Took my Jimny back outside today for a short bit. It articulates very well, but the 3.67" tires vs the 3.50" stock tires push the limit of fitment. The tires do stuff into fenders nicely without catching badly as I slightly lifted & trimmed sparingly, not wanting to make it look like a comp hack. Or a TTC monster truck ...its close enough already.

My issue is its way to jumpy off of zero rpm's. It kind jumps out of control - not easy to finesse over the rocks (great at flat landing).
So...I guess I drop the pinion a few teeth if it allows (haven't checked yet). Then maybe an ESC swap (HW 1080 most likely). Next, or at the same time a Reedy 16T motor.
Once I take the jump out of it, it should be nice. I didn't want to spend too much on it, but I guess I will have to for satisfaction...

It rolls over obstacles super good with the larger tires and killer appraoch & departure angles. Work in progress!

Old 12-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Those are awesome!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Just a side by side comparison of our his & hers Jimny's. The wife says 'don't touch hers' lol.
Still waiting on shocks for mine, and shock towers for hers (she won't even notice lol, but it will be softer).
Over time I will do a smaller pinion (sooner than later), links, servo & ESC.
I figured out that 2s works better than 3s stock - more top speed than necessary and jumpy at crawl speed on 3s. 2s crawls better.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:10 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I love my little CMX... I did a pseudo comparo between the CMX and the CFX and the CMX was the better performer.... It's such an underrated little truck.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:04 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I love my little CMX... I did a pseudo comparo between the CMX and the CFX and the CMX was the better performer.... It's such an underrated little truck.
Feel free to post up some pics OSRC! The more the merrier. I'm kinda stagnant with mine... 25 degrees outside with snow on the ground. ...Parts trickling in slow.
Its snowplow weather here...
Old 01-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

if you are wanting smoothing throttle control on a budget then a 1080 with a reedy 5 slot motor, or a surpass hobbies 80a esc and a 540 or 550 5 slot can will be great. I think I got the surpass hobbies system for like 40 bucks on amazon.
octigonwallrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:36 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Nice, was looking at these. Been looking for a place up north of the 49th parallel that actually carries them.
I ordered my MST CFX from Asiatees.com and threw a Sand Scorcher body on it.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:16 AM   #17
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
I ordered my MST CFX from Asiatees.com and threw a Sand Scorcher body on it.
...of course you added a sand scorcher body to the order

Do you order from Asiatees often? I am curious to know if you get charged brokerage and/or duty fees.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote

Cute Little Buggers! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cute little welder racin707 Scale Accessories 4 07-17-2013 12:29 PM
Cute pics of your kids KC_JoNeS Chit Chat 45 02-25-2011 02:14 PM
What a cute couple Rockpiledriver Chit Chat 18 09-13-2006 10:18 AM
Aren't they cute Magic Chit Chat 4 02-19-2006 05:46 PM
cute girl and i puked blazed Chit Chat 46 12-21-2005 10:40 AM