Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: "Tetanus Express" Mega Truck Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default "Tetanus Express" Mega Truck Build

Hey folks. I'm nearly finished building my mega truck and figured I'd start a thread for it that both links to my build articles on Big Squid (shameless plug) and that I can post pics once it's done.

I had been planning on doing one of these forever, but props go to Harley for finally getting me off my butt to do one. That beauty he's building was quite the inspiration. We now have several under construction in my club and more on the drawing board. It's going to come to a glorious head at the STL G6 this year as Parker is allowing me to run a Mega Mud Race in between G6 stages.

Big thanks also go to Big Squid RC for jumping into the scale scene full bore and letting me do the project, Axial for providing the Deadbolt, The Monster Factory for providing a smokin' paint job on the Jeep Comanche, Ken Kalb of Mark Twain Hobby for cutting me the scale exhaust parts, and Robbie Billings for doing the narrowed Clodbuster wheels and tires.

Tale of the tape:

Body: Proline Jeep Comanche (heavily fatigued)
Chassis: CPE Barbarian w/ sway bar in the rear
Shocks: Axial Wraith/Deadbolt stockers
Axles: Axial AR60 (open diff up front)
Transmission: Axial SCX10/AX10
Driveshafts: MIP
Power: Castle Mamba Max Pro ESC w/ 6900 kv
Tires: Tamiya Clodbusters narrowed to 2 inches (note, I don't have the tires yet so I've been testing with the stock Axial Trepadors, albeit with a "mud cut" in the tread.

Here are the links to the build articles:

Axial Deadbolt Mega Truck Conversion: Part 1 « Big Squid RC – News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
Axial Deadbolt Mega Truck Conversion: Part 2 « Big Squid RC – News, Reviews, Videos, and More!

Here are the plans for the Mega Truck pit we are building at the G6 location.

thisdougsforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
20K Club

Default Re: "Tetanus Express" Mega Truck Build

I can't wait for some heads up racing!

Going to be a blast.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Here she is, all done minus the tires.

I've been running the truck hard the last two nights in the snow trying to make sure it holds up and I have no complaints. The only issue I had was a locknut backing off a 4 link bar but that was my fault for not cranking it down. That Castle 6900 makes it boogie. I've been playing with the suspension figuring out the best way to make it launch and I think I've really got it now. I can give it full power from a dead stop and the truck stays straight. My waterproofing has also apparently worked because it's been completely soaked both nights (love having a slop sink in my new house! with not so much as a glitch).

I was really interested to see how the open front diff would do in the deep snow and luckily for me the truck flies through with no problem. It really makes me it easier to control under full throttle and I can even cut some tight corners...don't get me wrong though, she ain't a short course truck.

The truck jumps fairly well but I think I'm gonna get a set of old Traxxas Big Bores and see how that does.

Next up is to get the tires, of which Robbie Billings finished last night. Here is a shot he sent me -

When I get them I'm going to drill them into my CPE Wraith to Clod adapters for extra support given all the power. I'm then gonna scuff the wheels up and paint them flat black. They are right at 2 inches wide and about 6.25'' high.

Once I get the tires and wheels mounted then it's time for the real testing. I'm lucky that I have a vacant lot next to my house which is about the be under construction so it's all dirt. If the weather ever lets up for a mild above freezing weekend then I'm gonna dig out a mud pit and test it there under something similar to what our mega-track will be.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Just finished her up. This truck is a freaking blast. Here is a link to Part 3 of this build - Axial Deadbolt Mega Truck Conversion: Part 3 « Big Squid RC – News, Reviews, Videos, and More!

Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

So cool.

I too have a barbarian MT (Avenger).

This has me thinking... Swap out some mud tires and a new body, and viola.... mega truck.

Cool rig!
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial deadbolt, cpe barbarian, jeep comanche, mega mud truck, rc mega truck

"Tetanus Express" Mega Truck Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
801rcc 2014 Ultra4 R/C, Race #1 "Rock Rail Express" NaZ-T Competitions 10 01-18-2014 03:49 PM
801rcc 2013 Ultra4 R/C, Race #1 "Rock Rail Express" NaZ-T Competitions 1 01-21-2013 10:37 AM
"midnight express" wraith build. flierwantstocrawl Axial Wraith 10 02-17-2012 04:17 PM
801RCC 2011 Ultra4 R/C, Event #2 "Rock Rail Express" NaZ-T Competitions 5 12-21-2011 02:42 PM