Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: SCAX-MT Grave Digger Monster Truck Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SCAX-MT Grave Digger Monster Truck Build

So I don't know where this thread belongs, but since the primary chassis is SCX, I am thinking this is the best place.

I would like to first thank a few members on this forum for the assistance they have provided. MX.Stud for the deal on the running AX-10, an to TurboTron for inspiring me to build this MT based off his which has proven to put me in the dog house with my wife (An totally worth it) an further more providing more detailed information on his build found on the below provided thread... Another thanks to Robert at RC-Recycler for taking the extra time to sort out the remaining parts for my build with a minimal budget to work with.

The scx10 monster truck build.

Now, on to my build.

Last week I purchased a completely running AX-10. An This week found the remaining components at RC-Recycler which are to be delivered today via USPS (not happy with USPS still). The parts I purchased include a Lime Green SCX chassis (which will go great with the Grave Digger Build), 2 complete sets of Wraith Front Axles (with stock steering linkage). An some plastic Clod Buster wheels an Chevron Clod Tires. I am referring to this as my SCAX-MT as its a twist on the SCX an AX chassis the MT will be built on.

This weekend I will be starting my build of the Grave Digger Monster Truck. Starting with the complete tear down of the AX-10 an clean up of the parts.

In much the same manor as TurboTron, I will be planning on sliding the SCX chassis inside the chassis plates of the AX-10. At this time I plan mounting the shocks (unknown model) from the AX-10 to the SCX frame an not the shock hoops. I also plan on using the stock AX-10 battery tray location to locate the battery in the middle of the truck.

The unknowns at this time include how the links will turn out. An how low do I want the AX 10 chassis. A part of me is considering raising it up so the tranny plate is just below the SCX chassis. I have already considered my front an rear pinion angles, an suspect I will see if I can rotate the c-hubs an re drill an fasten down. Again, more to come on this thought later.

A more detailed parts list of what I have with pictures will be coming soon.

Pictures to come soon which will provide more details as too my thoughts.

Thanks,
John
johnfm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SCAX-MT Grave Digger Monster Truck Build

I'll be watching this closely. Big Monster and Mega truck fan, and got one of my own brewing.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have done a lot of work since Friday.

I am right now trying to share my pictures from Hotmail Onedrive, not working out too well. My MT build is going better than my attempt to share images...lol
Old 08-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Photobucket is your friend. It's worth the 5 minutes it'll take you to make an account and load all your pics.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Dude, long time. Yeah, I know. On the flip side I have too many accounts as it is, an with a 15GB storage capacity via Hotmail, I shouldnt have to get another account for what I already have.

Would be nice if RCC would allow storage like cardomain so we didnt have to pull from outside resources which add to the complexity of posting.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

RCC does have a photo hosting account. Buy a star and it'll show up.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Really, Oh thats worth it. I will look into that next.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so after purchasing the base membership at RCC, I have images uploaded.

Here is the parts from RC-Recycler.
SCX Chassis
Clod Tires mounted on Clod Wheels with adapters
2x Wraith Poison Spyder Front axles
Hex adapters

Here is the AX-10 I purchased via a member here on RCC.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

After tearing down an starting some fabrication, I now have a complete chassis which I think will work for me. I still need to tear down the chassis 1 more time as I need to clearance the SCX chassis for the tranny to squeeze between the rails. I made some measurement errors when prep'n to drill the scx chassis. Though you can not tell, I know its there. I will def run this for a while, but suspect I will be buying new chassis plates an being a bit more precise to ensure a correctly aligned chassis.

Differing from TurboTron's build, I got lucky with another set of holes in the AX chassis which allowed a better mounting location so I could keep the battery tray in the middle of the rig.

Last edited by johnfm3; 08-24-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I am already working on the suspension. It looking like I can use Wraith upper arms for everything. I will have images of what I am thinking.

In brief, what looks like is going to work really well, (looking at picture above) is mounting the upper links to the inside of the SCX chassis at the hole next to bolt holding the AX-10 chassis to the SCX. An hooking the lower links to the out side of the AX chassis tranny plate on the inner set of holes.

Again, I will have pictures of the link setup soon. I need to goto the hobby store for some spacers.

I have a bunch more pictures in my Album.

John

Last edited by johnfm3; 08-24-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so here is the pictures from the front suspension work done. So far I am happy with how it turned out. When fully dropped at the shocks full extension, my pinion on the axle will point up plenty. It looks like when fully compressed, the drive line angle will not bind either. All the links are Wraith Uppers as said earlier in this thread.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

So given the fact that I have the SCX-10 chassis lower on the AX-10 chassis, the SCX chassis interferes with the tranny a small amount. Needless to say I will need to pull it down again so I can clearance the scx inside chassis a tad bit.

The bummer to all this was my plan to mirror the tranny came to a halt as I dont have a symmetrical tranny case. My Wraith tranny has the dig option available. Which means that if I decide to mirror the tranny, I first have to buy another housing (which is not the big deal) an I will have to clearance the other chassis rail.

I will be rotating 1 of the axles so that the front an rear pumpkin will be on the same side of the rig. Also I will be ensuring the pumpkin is on the opposite side from the tranny output. This should help with drive shaft clearance around the links. No pictures of that yet. I still have to finish up the suspension work.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Things to purchase:
A pack of green axial spacers to complete in the upper link install an upper shock mount.
Purchase the correct length bolts for the various parts. Currently just sticking what I have in to test with. My just buy a complete stainless bolt kit.
Metal Washers for wheels, the nylon ones are too thick (my almost double metal) an not allowing the locking portion of the nut to grab.
Purchase a Axial 27T motor to start with. Will reconsider performance afterward.
Purchase Drive Shafts

Immediate Action Items:
Install Robinson Racing gears in Tranny
Flip 1 axle
Clearance the SCX Chassis
Install tranny
Install shocks
Install axles
Old 08-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

FUBAR, may be a ID-10T error. Not sure.

I was flipping one of my front axles around so that the Pumpkins would be on the same side for Front an Rear. When I did that, the upper link mount was facing the wrong direction, away from the center of the rig. I have come up with a creative solution of running the center link mounts under the pumpkin an dealing with a servo plate up top still. But if there is another link mount that will allow it to be on top of a flipped AR60 an sit correctly, that would be a better solution.

If anyone here builds custom Aluminum parts for wraith's, I would be interested in buying a set of mirrored upper mounts.

John
Old 08-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

So it appears I need a rear truss/link mount for my other axle. I am going to probably buy 2 more truss sets an support upper an lower section of the axle. We will see.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Well, I reached out to Rob at RC-Recycler about my dilemma. He is sending out a unused rear link mount. I am hoping to see it in the next few days which should allow me to finish up the suspension link mock up this weekend. I will get pictures of this portion of the work this evening.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Ok, so I just purchased green 6mm spacers an a axial 27T motor for this beast. So now I can complete the install of the links an upper shock mounts. So far the 27T has been a good "Go To" motor for me to start with. I will start with a 87 spur gear an I will adjust the pinion/spur from there. I have a spare 80 tooth to test with. Will run thru some gearing ratio's to see what I think.

My plan is to be able to mount the upper shock mount on the SCX chassis. It looks like it will sit perfectly at height I want. An the suspension has be planned for it.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

So I didn't have to pull the entire chassis apart to grind for the tranny. I did pull the motor plate off an just try getting the tranny to fit against the right rail first. I have a little more grinding to do. Looks like I only have to grind half the depth of the top an bottom portions of the rails. There are no pictures of this process. Once the tranny fits against the right side nicely, I will install the motor plate an motor an ensure the left chassis will clear nicely. I will post a picture of the completed this upcoming weekend.

John
Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I have a update to share. Ended up getting the Axle flip issue resolved. Took a little creativity, but it worked out.

The axle in the pictures with the tires on is going to be the rear axle. Its also the axle which has NOT been flipped. Note the extra truss installed.

To add a bit of show to it, I added D-Ring's to see what I thought. I will probably never use them, but I think the look is good.

Now the front axle is the one which was flipped. Only noticeable by the steering linkage. I was lucky to have had the 6mm green axial spacers which worked out to almost an exact match for what I needed. Then I ran a bolt all the way thru the plastic that was almost able to go flush with the bottom.

All in all, I am happy with the result. An more so, the pumpkins are on the same side of the rig (would have been even cooler to have had the rear in the middle like the scx axles) an they are on the opposite side of the out put shaft on the tranny. I will get some more pictures this weekend.

John
Old 08-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I am pretty stoked, I just got word that the local RC shop has in stock the ScrewzRC kit for the SCX. I was almost certain I would be having to purchase online an have shipped. So this weekend should be fun filled with a complete tear down an replacement of all fasteners. Probably wont post any update pictures of it till I have all the links an drive train attached.

John

SCAX-MT Grave Digger Monster Truck Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/16 grave digger alterchristopher Non Crawler RC's 14 04-16-2013 08:50 PM
kdrodworks316 grave digger build spyderwebbcustoms Tamiya Clod Buster 79 02-20-2012 07:40 AM
Grave Digger 666 Chit Chat 41 01-02-2009 05:13 PM
Grave Digger... Bigsky Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 8 09-28-2008 11:04 PM
grave digger cammok5 Paint and Body 3 03-08-2007 06:03 PM