Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Ranger mega truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2015, 01:14 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Ranger mega truck

I havent touched my rc collection in probably a year but finally got the chance today to start a "mega truck" build. This truck was built today out of my stash of rc crap ive been collecting for years. Its a basic scx with all the usual bits to make it durable so it should be reliable. Running a vxl on 3s to get it going. So far i spent 0$ getting it to this stage. Had to make a tray for the electronics and modded a stock battery tray to mount to the rear crossmember as well as made some shock mounts to get it at the height i wanted. Still some things to do namely make a cradle like what Harley designed to get the lower links flat and drop the motor/trans for better handling. Id buy Harley's kit but the cdn dollar is in the toilet so ill be making my own. Anyways its a start

dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ranger mega truck

Old 08-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
Still some things to do namely make a cradle like what Harley designed to get the lower links flat and drop the motor/trans for better handling. Id buy Harley's kit but the cdn dollar is in the toilet so ill be making my own.
Do you by chance have an AX10 chassis? I borrowed the idea from a local guy. I just bolted that to my stock scx chassis. All I had to do was drill 2 holes. To get it to bolt up. I bet you could use a red cat chassis with it being an axial copy.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
Do you by chance have an AX10 chassis? I borrowed the idea from a local guy. I just bolted that to my stock scx chassis. All I had to do was drill 2 holes. To get it to bolt up. I bet you could use a red cat chassis with it being an axial copy.
I dont have any ax10 chassis plates but im setup for silver soldering/welding/tubework at home So im going to go that route i think
Thanks for the idea
Old 08-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I dont have any ax10 chassis plates but im setup for silver soldering/welding/tubework at home So im going to go that route i think
Thanks for the idea
Sounds like you have a way better solution to the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie View Post
Sounds like you have a way better solution to the problem.

That depends on if i can actually do a decent job!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That depends on if i can actually do a decent job!
Once it's covered in mud you will never know if it's a little off.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Is TBG still selling that body?
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Im not sure if they are, i bought the body probably 2 years ago
Old 08-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
TBG is still selling the body as a Bush Devil replica, but it can also be found in the Tamiya CC01 "Landfreeder" kits.

Vintage Ford Ranger Truck Body RARE Crawler Axial Venom XR10 Creeper | eBay

RPP has the original, but no idea on decals and whatnot. Would be nice to find the proper masks, decals, and grille and windshield trim.

Tamiya RC Body 58523 Bush Devil II Landfreeder Lexan Body

Love this rig! Keep up the build. Can't wait to see a nasty Ranger around here for once...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:50 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteControl View Post
I have been wanting to start a project like this. How does it run with the Velineon?
I havent ran this truck with the vxl in it but i built a foff rig on paddles a few years ago and it was pretty fast with the vxl. I think this truck will be very close in weight to the foff rig so im hoping for similar results. If it sucks i have a hobbywing 1/8 scale brushless system sitting around that could go in this
Old 08-19-2015, 12:55 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
TBG is still selling the body as a Bush Devil replica, but it can also be found in the Tamiya CC01 "Landfreeder" kits.

Vintage Ford Ranger Truck Body RARE Crawler Axial Venom XR10 Creeper | eBay

RPP has the original, but no idea on decals and whatnot. Would be nice to find the proper masks, decals, and grille and windshield trim.

Tamiya RC Body 58523 Bush Devil II Landfreeder Lexan Body

Love this rig! Keep up the build. Can't wait to see a nasty Ranger around here for once...
Thanks for the info. I wasnt aware of a tamiya ranger body! The TBG ranger body i have is a bit small at under 11" wb. I wish they made a larger one but this one doesnt look too out of place in relation to the tire size. I am a ford guy so i always try to use ford bodies on my builds
Old 08-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Looks awesome , low and mean !
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I wasnt aware of a tamiya ranger body! The TBG ranger body i have is a bit small at under 11" wb. I wish they made a larger one but this one doesnt look too out of place in relation to the tire size. I am a ford guy so i always try to use ford bodies on my builds
Yeah, if you couldn't tell by my user name, I love the little Rangers myself, and specifically this generation. Having seen yours yesterday I couldn't resist. I found two sets of lightly used 1.9 Mud Bashers on FB, dug out some Axial axles and VP Wraith goodies I've had stashed away, and I'm going to order one of these Ranger bodies.

Your notes about the wheelbase make me wander if the TBG Bush Devil replica and the CC01's Landfreeder's wheelbase aren't a tiny bit different though. The LandFreeder Ranger body has a 9.5" WB at the center of the wheel wells.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:39 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Yeah, if you couldn't tell by my user name, I love the little Rangers myself, and specifically this generation. Having seen yours yesterday I couldn't resist. I found two sets of lightly used 1.9 Mud Bashers on FB, dug out some Axial axles and VP Wraith goodies I've had stashed away, and I'm going to order one of these Ranger bodies.

Your notes about the wheelbase make me wander if the TBG Bush Devil replica and the CC01's Landfreeder's wheelbase aren't a tiny bit different though. The LandFreeder Ranger body has a 9.5" WB at the center of the wheel wells.
The tbg body was a 10.5" wb so it must be different then the tamiya one. My truck is sitting at 11.5" wb currently which is short compared to my other trucks but this isnt a crawler so im not sure how much wb matters. Ive been looking for a set of mud bashers but where i live there is none around but i hope to hit a hobby shop or 2 on a trip im going on this weekend
Old 08-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
The tbg body was a 10.5" wb so it must be different then the tamiya one. My truck is sitting at 11.5" wb currently which is short compared to my other trucks but this isnt a crawler so im not sure how much wb matters. Ive been looking for a set of mud bashers but where i live there is none around but i hope to hit a hobby shop or 2 on a trip im going on this weekend
Yeah, I just checked the specs on TBG's ebay page and they show a WB of 260mm, or 10.24". For the last few years I had assumed that because they are both Ranger's that the Landfreeder and Bush Devil bodies were the same. Guess I should have read the fine print...a few years ago.

Odd though really, RPP shows the Landfreeder in the pics of the body they have listed as a Bush Devil body, which the larger TBG body is supposed to be a replica of. Two choices for a Ranger, but none of the numbers add up. Must be time to just order one and stop looking at numbers...
Old 10-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Small update: got a set of mud bashers installed and got the truck running last week or so. Just need to finish the lower chassis cradle, put the open diff in the front axle and make in er fenders to keep the mud out and it should basically be done. Also need to get some rain here to make some mud in my front field lol

Old 12-06-2015, 12:50 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Since we had absolutely terrible weather today i had a chance to get in the shop and put a few hours in on the ranger. Got a new lower cradle/skid made for it and welded on, and redid the link geometry. Slapped it all back together and it does easy to control cyclones on dry concrete so the lower COG is working. Just a few more things to do before i try it out in mud, hopefully it works ok there

photo 8825AE1A-26A3-425F-B172-E1CDBD7932CA.jpg

photo CD683391-4458-4B1A-B197-70B5E8AA43BB.jpg

photo CEC7209E-C024-4174-9713-B2A6E7ABE239.jpg
Old 12-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Another terrible day weather-wise meant i had a chance to mess with this truck again. Got the front inner fenders done as well as modded/moved around some chassis crossmembers to get the suspension moving better  photo 3EF73B3A-2D5B-46A0-B0CC-DF63919F700A.jpg

Ran it in the shop for a bit taking it off a small jump to shake anything loose. Got bored of that after 20 mins but other then scratching up the body it worked ok

Last edited by dittohead; 12-06-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Like the look of your truck. You have any running videos?, I'd love to see it in action.
ternandbern is offline   Reply With Quote

Ranger mega truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can we get a mega truck - mud truck - monster truck section? Calderwood Comments, Suggestions, and Help 46 08-07-2015 11:15 AM
SCX10 Mud Truck, Mega Truck Ideas thejudge1 Mega/Monster Trucks 7 11-08-2014 07:33 PM
MUDDOG The Mega Truck G-FORCE Mega/Monster Trucks 4 10-12-2014 08:33 PM