Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Solid axle monster truck newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Solid axle monster truck newbie

Hi guys -- so, I took the plunge today and ordered a bunch of parts for my first solid axle, Axial AR60-based monster truck. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about a motor, but I have an all metal tranny, Robinson Racing metal spur/slipper, HD gears for front and rear, etc.

I have to admit, I'm a little concerned. I've done a lot of research, but I've had trouble finding many non-race event videos on YouTube and I've noticed several builds in this forum seem to either stop cold or I see the truck on the For Sale forum a few days later.

So, am I missing something off-putting about these trucks that is causing people to either bail on them or lose interest? Short battery life? Broken parts every time out due to the big tires? Too slow?

I won't be using this rig for organized events. I just wanted something the family and I could enjoy driving through thick brush/weeds and getting over obstacles, and I didn't want a MOA Clod-type truck. My other rigs can't quite navigate this terrain as well (Tamiya 2wd, Stampede 2wd, 2 SCX10s).

Thanks in advance for any insight from those of you with experience with these monster trucks!
Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Solid axle monster truck newbie

You're off to a good start with all metal tranny and gears. Next if you haven't done is the next weak area, the chubs and knuckles, axles shafts and drive shafts.

I wouldn't use high kv motors. You'll need torque to push the big tires around. I ran a 3800 kv motor and it really scoot around. You can always gear up a bit if you feel the lack of speed.

Lastly, a good high torque servo is a must along with servo saver horn. I used hitec 7950 with kimbough #124 servo saver.

In all, a well build with proper parts will result in way less headache than a rash built and cheap part, hence people abandoning the projects.

You can look up "mudsy's barbarian build" in wraith section for tips and inspiration.
Mudsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Solid axle monster truck newbie - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solid Axle Showdown Monster truck race! ROWDY RACING Virginia 1 03-30-2016 12:49 PM
Solid axle monster trucks Mikael Non Crawler RC's 10 04-13-2015 12:07 PM
Wisconsin Minnesota Solid Axle Monster Truck Racing? CrewCabScaler Wisconsin 1 11-12-2011 09:50 AM
Solid Axle Monster Truck Racing? CrewCabScaler Minnesota 3 11-11-2011 04:22 PM
organized solid axle monster truck racing in connecticut coreyh29645 Chit Chat 1 10-25-2005 11:46 AM