Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: "Third Times a Charm"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default "Third Times a Charm"

Figured I'd start a build thread for the solid axle monster truck I'm working on.

This one will be called "Third Times a Charm", however this is only the second monster truck I've built. The story behind that is I couldn't make up my mind on what I wanted to build. Either take a wheelie King chassis and throw wraith axles under it and build it, or go the stronger ax10 deadbolt route. After a few weeks of deciding I eventually said screw it I'm building both! So since the ax10 chassis was the third choice, and since I built a barbarian last year, that's how it's name came about.

The details for the build are mostly ironed out, but I'll post the specific parts as the build goes on. This one will be based of John Schultz's race winning monster truck and the Proline monster bolt, with a few changes.

So to start the build thread is the transmission, it's not completely finished yet, but far enough that I figured I'd post.

It's basically your standard scx10 trans case (why it's not done), with new bearings, Robinson steel idler and bottom gear. The motor is an Orion Vortex8 2000kv sensorless motor. I've had good luck with these motors so far, and since they are fairly cheap, why not put it in here. Gearing is 22/50 using a ntc3 spur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by c0bra; 07-16-2016 at 03:55 PM.
c0bra is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: "Third Times a Charm"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD ENFORCER View Post
So wraith axles?

sorry couldn't really follow your post, but it maybe since I need some sleep lol.

Yep upgraded wraith axles with trailing arms

Old 07-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default "Third Times a Charm"

I picked up an ax10 deadbolt chassis from another member. When it got here I tore it down and replaced all of the course thread screws with stainless and started to set it up how I want.

Still need to make a few changes and add some stuff. I'm not sure yet if the stock body mounts are going to work, and may have to put spacers underneath the trans so the motor clears the lower links. At the same time though I may have an upper link mount issue

If the screw sticks out too far it will hit the motor, but that's an easy fix. Also the motor wires need extended so they will reach the esc. I still need to get another battery mount for it and the aluminum trans case.

In case anybody is wondering, esc is a team Orion vortex8, also using an airtronics rx-461 rx and mt4 tx.

Last edited by c0bra; 07-16-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The aluminum trans case, battery mount, suspension links and the last part of the axles are on their way. I should be able to get it all mounted this weekend and possibly driveshafts. Also will get the electronics finished as well.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

With the last parts of the axles coming, might as well say what's all going to be on them.

I'll be running dlux wraith axles with boom racing upper and lower link mounts, yeah racing c hubs, knuckles and rear lockouts. Stock dog bones up front and stock straight axles in rear. It will be running axial hd ud gears to help reduce torque twist with axial yeti diff gears in front. Also will run ssd steering links with a hitec 7954 servo and a racers edge clamping servo horn.

I have everything for the axles already except the steering links and the pins that the diff gears ride on.

Also the trans case, front and rear trailing arms and upper links are all boom racing

Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Update!

I was able to get this thing to be mostly a runner!

The transmission case has been switched out for a gun metal case from boom racing. Which will need to be lifted up to clear the rear links.

The trailing arms and upper links are for a yeti and are from boom racing as well. I don't really like the play they have at the hallow balls but the included o rings help.

Also got the axles and shocks in however shocks are only temporary. Currently they are wraith kit shocks but will be switched out to associated big bores soon. The axles are dlux housings, the front has brass beef tubes in it. The c hubs, knuckles and lockout are all from yeah racing, the upper and lower link mounts are all boom racing. The lower link mounts are flipped. It's running axial hd ud gears in the front and rear axle with open diffs that are filled with grease on both ends. It's still running dog bones up front and stock straight axles out back. The steering is done by a hitec 7954 servo with a clamping horn and ssd steering links.

It also has mip driveshafts for an axial scx10. The wheels and tires are also temporary, currently they are ssd beadlocks with voodoo u4 tires and ci foams. They will be swapped out for the proline clod wheels and tires.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Ordered rear team associated 12mm big bore shocks for this. They are right around 103mm long and are a really nice shock. Unfortunately though they won't be here for 2 weeks. I already have 2 sets of medium springs for it, not exactly sure what they are rated at though.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Apparently I can't read as the shocks are already here. Also picked up the shock stand offs for them.

The shocks are already built using 1.7 pistons and one .030 nylon spacer under the piston. The shock springs I'm going to try first are blue (2.3) up front and yellow (2.4) in rear.

I will post pics once the shocks are installed

"Third Times a Charm" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
3rd times a charm? Goldmembers Hilux SCX-10 Build goldmember Axial SCX-10 16 10-14-2012 03:55 PM