Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Jato's SMT10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2017, 09:46 AM   #221

Default Re: Jato's SMT10

More photos of the Digger. There aren't many RCs that make me as giddy and childlike as this one. It's a ton of fun to look at and drive.

I have to stop being lazy and put the planetary covers back on. That is, if I can find them.

JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #222

I got grey (they're really not silver like JConcepts claims) Tribute wheels and Renegade tires. My tire and wheel addiction persists at any and all scales and types of RCs.

I'll be honest. I prefer the look of the Firestorm tires by a mile. I'm still not sure if I'd like the truck better if the Firestorm tires were on the grey/silver wheels, but I love the white wheels.

I also much prefer how the truck drives with the Firestorm tires. It pops more off of jumps and bounces around like a real monster truck. The Renegade tires are lower profile so the truck is more planted. These might go on my Monster Bolt as that one is more built for handling.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #223
I wanna be Dave

Those renegade tires are similar to the tires on mine, but I dont remember the name off hand...I love how they perform in the sand and loose dirt.

Edit: According to my thread, they are rc4wd B&H monster truck tires....originally for a clod truck...

Last edited by allanon1965; 09-30-2017 at 05:25 PM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #224

I finally got a chance to play in the snow today!

Old 01-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #225
j0e
Rock Crawler

looks pretty sweet!
I'm looking to grab one of these for my boy.
I think I like those Firestorm tires.
Thanks for all the pics!
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0e View Post
looks pretty sweet!
I'm looking to grab one of these for my boy.
I think I like those Firestorm tires.
Thanks for all the pics!
They are fun trucks after lots of upgrades. In stock form it would be perfect for a young kid, but as an adult it was too slow and weak in stock form.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 01-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #227
I wanna be Dave

these look so fun! but i would need a more scale looking truck (frame, suspension, axles)... lol i know these are for cost efficiency and to kinda "get your foot in the door" of MTRC, and its certainly more scale than say a savage or emax.
very cool, i think axial got these just right. very close to a modern monster truck.

(side note: I've been going to monster jam every year since my son was like 2. he's 9 now and we are going to Petco park on the 3rd! and I've gone to monster truck shows in anaheim since hot rod ran them, when bigfoot was racing against grave digger... and guess what truck is my fave? *points to signature*)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
these look so fun! but i would need a more scale looking truck (frame, suspension, axles)... lol i know these are for cost efficiency and to kinda "get your foot in the door" of MTRC, and its certainly more scale than say a savage or emax.
very cool, i think axial got these just right. very close to a modern monster truck.
The frame is a copy of the Grave Digger frame so I don't see how you can get more scale there.

The suspension can easily be made more scale by changing the link and moving the shock positions. It's not perfect, but it's close.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #229
I wanna be Dave

oh yeah no i wasn't taking a jab at the truck at all! they are MUCH better than the traxxas stuff they try to pass off as monster trucks with independent suspensions. bleh.

but yeah you are getting my point, as i would have to "make it better" like most things i own and make it REALLY scale with new links, revised shock position and maaaybe new axles. axials AR60's are good, but they have their issues (swapped out the one on my yeti for a scale SSD unit).

yours is a good example of the closest thing i would build to a "basher" (because other bashers dont remind me of anything but toys) as in your durability enhancements and go fast bits, scale details are not ignored either. great build sir! hope to see more!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #230
I wanna be Dave

Is there a thread on here somewhere that lists what is required to make the SMT10 more reliable? Like what upgrades should be done off the bat?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Is there a thread on here somewhere that lists what is required to make the SMT10 more reliable? Like what upgrades should be done off the bat?
This thread. I don't think there is a guide though. Opinions vary and it all depends on the amount of power and the size of tires you want to use.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #232
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This thread. I don't think there is a guide though. Opinions vary and it all depends on the amount of power and the size of tires you want to use.
Clod sized tires while put-putting around the grass and dirt lol.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #233

Quote:
Clod sized tires while put-putting around the grass and dirt lol.
What type of power? And will you jump it?
Old 06-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #234
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What type of power? And will you jump it?
Not sure what type of power yet, but I'd be going brushless.

Jumping will probably be every now and then but not often.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #235

Quote:
Not sure what type of power yet, but I'd be going brushless.

Jumping will probably be every now and then but not often.
You might not have to worry about most of the issues if you only use tame power and jump it scale heights.

I broke a driveshaft on mine almost right away. Others haven't had that issue. I have also lunched rear diff gears so I moved to a rear locker.

The AR60 axles housings are prone to snapping. I have aluminum Beef Tubes in mine to prevent snapped axles and the resultant damage.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:17 PM   #236
I wanna be Dave

So is this thing worth getting with the ebay 15% off? I'm trying to decide what to get with the coupon.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:29 PM   #237
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So is this thing worth getting with the ebay 15% off? I'm trying to decide what to get with the coupon.
Time was running out. Picked up both versions with the coupon. My son likes Grave Digger, and I like the black frame. I figure once I sell off the radio/electronics, possibly the wheels, and possibly the Max-D body... it's not so bad.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:32 PM   #238

Quote:
Quote:
Time was running out. Picked up both versions with the coupon. My son likes Grave Digger, and I like the black frame. I figure once I sell off the radio/electronics, possibly the wheels, and possibly the Max-D body... it's not so bad.
Sorry, I missed your question. You should have PMed me. I'm assuming you got them for $280 each (15% off of the normal price of $330). That's a fair price. You'll have a lot of fun with them.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:38 PM   #239
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sorry, I missed your question. You should have PMed me. I'm assuming you got them for $280 each (15% off of the normal price of $330). That's a fair price. You'll have a lot of fun with them.
Ah, gotcha. I see how I worded ambiguously. Yup $280 each. I'll let him run the GD stock chassis wise (electronics will be replaced) for a little while.

I'll have to see how big this Max-D body is and see if it'll fit on the TXT-2. I think the body would look more at home on a TXT-2 chassis. For mine, I'll probably find your run of the mill pickup body.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:50 PM   #240
Quarry Creeper

Hi Jato,

The AR60s I bought for my SMT10 build have F/R locked diffs. The biggest factor for me is durability for brushless bashing. So, would you recommend I open both diffs or front only, or leave em locked? Also, which parts would you recommend to open a diff? HPI gears? Axial HD spool?

Thanks,
MP
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Jato's SMT10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DNA's SMT10 from the ground up dna4engr Mega/Monster Trucks 39 06-22-2017 07:16 PM
Tedo's SMT10 tedo Mega/Monster Trucks 28 09-21-2016 02:17 PM
Throttle Out RC's SMT10 kstowe Mega/Monster Trucks 7 09-08-2016 10:01 AM
cboggs' SMT10 cboggs Mega/Monster Trucks 8 08-22-2016 06:25 AM