3S SPC or SMC 4300mah

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2016, 11:05 AM   #22

Default Re: Jato's SMT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
I can't confirm the dimensions, but I run a 5000mah 3S Traxxas Lipo in mine and it barely fits. I mean barely. The hinged door on the battery compartment has to bend around the end of the battery because of its length, and it can be tricky getting the e-clip in to hold it shut. It seems fine width wise, and height is a non-issue. I've run 4 solid packs through it with no issues though, and I like my batteries to have next to no wiggle room.

According to the Traxxas site, the dimensions of that battery are:
Length: 135mm
Width: 44mm
Height: 28.5mm

So based on that, I'd say the dimensions you provided for the battery tray are accurate. Hope that helps.
The only 3S 5000mAh LiPo I'm finding on the Traxxas website says it's 155mm long. Which one do you have?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The only 3S 5000mAh LiPo I'm finding on the Traxxas website says it's 155mm long. Which one do you have?

This guy;

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...ah-111v-3S-25C

Shoot. My bad! I just realized I was looking at the non-ID battery. The one linked above is the pack I am running. That'd explain why it's such a tight fit. When installing mine, I put a thin piece of foam at the front of the battery tray (lying parallel to the ground) to lift the battery up a few millimeters up front by the wires. The batter sits on a slight angle. This allowed me to slide the battery forward a smidge so I could close the tray door.

I'd say go with that size. Worse comes to worst, you can't shut the door. Velcro and ziptie the pack to the chassis (though if you use this pack you shouldn't have to). I like having the extra weight of the larger battery. Even with that pack in there, the truck has a nasty tendency to nose down when aired out. I can't imagine what it'd be like with a batter that weighed half what this one does. It also stays planted nicely at speed and it's quite so squirelly.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #24

Quote:
This guy;

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...ah-111v-3S-25C

Shoot. My bad! I just realized I was looking at the non-ID battery. The one linked above is the pack I am running. That'd explain why it's such a tight fit. When installing mine, I put a thin piece of foam at the front of the battery tray (lying parallel to the ground) to lift the battery up a few millimeters up front by the wires. The batter sits on a slight angle. This allowed me to slide the battery forward a smidge so I could close the tray door.

I'd say go with that size. Worse comes to worst, you can't shut the door. Velcro and ziptie the pack to the chassis (though if you use this pack you shouldn't have to). I like having the extra weight of the larger battery. Even with that pack in there, the truck has a nasty tendency to nose down when aired out. I can't imagine what it'd be like with a batter that weighed half what this one does. It also stays planted nicely at speed and it's quite so squirelly.
Thanks. I'm currently using a soft pack 3S 4000mAh LiPo from HobbyKing. I'm thinking about trying an SMC 3S 5000mAh hard case LiPo. I'm just hoping it fits.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I'm actually really surprised Axial limited the battery tray so much lengthwise. There's plenty of room back there. I would have liked to have been able to just drop a 8400mah pack in mine.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #26

Quote:
I'm actually really surprised Axial limited the battery tray so much lengthwise. There's plenty of room back there. I would have liked to have been able to just drop a 8400mah pack in mine.
I agree. I was shocked to see all the extra room and no adjustability for the door.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I agree. I was shocked to see all the extra room and no adjustability for the door.
Especially seeing as they made a very obvious effort to allow for us to adjust the height of the battery area. If given a choice between adjustable length or height, I'd take length all day long.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:01 AM   #28

I imagine this thing "pops" into the air because the front suspension is so stiff. Has anybody tried softer springs in front?

Also, has anybody tried the Traxxas Titan 12T?

Here's a little video I made of me jumping my Digger. I absolutely love the way this thing jumps.

If some to embed the video, please remind me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNtqlM6Ip_8
Old 09-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #29

I installed the ESS-ONE+ sound system in my Digger. With the body on you can't tell it's there. With the body off you can still barely see it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I did try the Titan 12t

Still sloooooow. And it overheats on 3s, even with the 11t pinion. Oh, and in protest, it cooked my 1060 Hobbywing esc but good. *sigh*

It also grenaded my idler gear. Well, on to the steel Wraith innards from HotRacing. Still have those laying about somewhere.

My best result afa power and speed goes, is with a LRP K4 8.5t @ 15t pinion on 2s with the non-sensored Turnigy waterproof 80amp ESC.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 09-27-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:34 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
I did try the Titan 12t

Still sloooooow. And it overheats on 3s, even with the 11t pinion. Oh, and in protest, it cooked my 1060 Hobbywing esc but good. *sigh*

It also grenaded my idler gear. Well, on to the steel Wraith innards from HotRacing. Still have those laying about somewhere.

My best result afa power and speed goes, is with a LRP K4 8.5t @ 15t pinion on 2s with the non-sensored Turnigy waterproof 80amp ESC.
Thanks for the input.

I looked up the LRP K4 8.5T and it appears it is equivalent to 4300kV. That might be a little overpowered for my taste. I want a truck that is quick, but still driveable and something that's not going to tear up parts every run. 4300kV is only slightly more than the 3900kV, which I am considering running, but even that looks a little too fast in the videos I've seen online.

I really don't need anything too much quicker than stock.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I ran a Velineon motor in my 'Digger, think they are 3500kv. I had it geared down a bit - plenty of power for me.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I ran a Velineon motor in my 'Digger, think they are 3500kv. I had it geared down a bit - plenty of power for me.
I have a Velineon in mine as well with a Traxxas 3S Lipo. More than enough power if you ask me. Every part in my driveline is failing or has already failed. My spur gear and transmission when in less than 10 minutes. 3 of my 4 wheel hexes are stripping, and my driveshafts are bent like bananas. Diffs aren't making any noise yet, so I guess that's a plus.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I was thinking of putting the 3900kV in, since I have it lying around, and gearing it down.

Quote:
I have a Velineon in mine as well with a Traxxas 3S Lipo. More than enough power if you ask me. Every part in my driveline is failing or has already failed. My spur gear and transmission when in less than 10 minutes. 3 of my 4 wheel hexes are stripping, and my driveshafts are bent like bananas. Diffs aren't making any noise yet, so I guess that's a plus.
That's a bummer, but kind of what to expect with plastic when you double the power. I wish Axial would have made it brushless ready like Traxxas does.

What gearing are you using?
Old 09-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

That's a bummer, but kind of what to expect with plastic when you double the power. I wish Axial would have made it brushless ready like Traxxas does.

What gearing are you using?
Me too. I'm using the stock spur gear and the included larger pinion.

Here's a short vid with my current configuration (you may have seen this already).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7fKTEoQ7NQ

I would actually really like Axial to release a premium bomb-proof kit of this thing. I would have no problem shelling out $400 for a SMT10 kit that came with no body and included an entirely metal driveline. Including the price of the truck, I'm well over $700 into mine already, and I've only been able to run it 4 times.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

@ Yato

If You feel that the stock speed on 2s is plenty, You could consider a 2400kv or 2700kv 17.5t. With a 14, or 15t 32-pitch pinion. On 2s their performance is relatively close to the stock 27t on 2s, be it quite a bit more peppy. The stock 27t runs something like 14000rpm under load on 2s, While a 2400 will do about 16000 to 18000rpm (rough estimate, depends on gearing, battery, driving surface etc.)

If You want a tad faster, a 3000kv BL is also an option. I ran the GD with a Turnigy waterproof 3000kv set as a test on the 16t gear, and it went admirably, even in heavy terrain. With the 11t it became too much of a fun wheely machine. Wheelies eat gears. So, yeah, there's that.

A very cheap alternative I found, was Axial's own, venerable 21t brushed motor from the Wraith. Enough pep to have some fun, but not so much that it eats gears, and it pulls a 13t pinion with relative ease, unless you try running it in vèry high grass or deep sand. In that case, stick with the 11t pinion.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 09-28-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Me too. I'm using the stock spur gear and the included larger pinion.

Here's a short vid with my current configuration (you may have seen this already).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7fKTEoQ7NQ

I would actually really like Axial to release a premium bomb-proof kit of this thing. I would have no problem shelling out $400 for a SMT10 kit that came with no body and included an entirely metal driveline. Including the price of the truck, I'm well over $700 into mine already, and I've only been able to run it 4 times.
I have seen that video. In some shots it looks like a good speed and in others it looks insane.

I too wish they would have released a tougher kit. The Bomber kit comes with lots of upgrades. Hopefully they release an SMT10 kit with as many upgrades for the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
@ Yato

If You feel that the stock speed on 2s is plenty, You could consider a 2400kv or 2700kv 17.5t. With a 14, or 15t 32-pitch pinion. On 2s their performance is relatively close to the stock 27t on 2s, be it quite a bit more peppy. The stock 27t runs something like 14000rpm under load on 2s, While a 2400 will do about 16000 to 18000rpm (rough estimate, depends on gearing, battery, driving surface etc.)

If You want a tad faster, a 3000kv BL is also an option. I ran the GD with a Turnigy waterproof 3000kv set as a test on the 16t gear, and it went admirably, even in heavy terrain. With the 11t it became too much of a fun wheely machine. Wheelies eat gears. So, yeah, there's that.

A very cheap alternative I found, was Axial's own, venerable 21t brushed motor from the Wraith. Enough pep to have some fun, but not so much that it eats gears, and it pulls a 13t pinion with relative ease, unless you try running it in vèry high grass or deep sand. In that case, stick with the 11t pinion.
Sorry, I was talking about the stock speed on 3S. The stock speed on 2S is so boring. But on 3S it's almost where I want it to be.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

@Jato.

Well, the 3000kv on 2s is close to the stock 27 on 3s. On 3s @ 15 pinion (what I tried) it becomes a hand full, though, into 'gear-chewing speed-territory' (27t @ 3s = 21000 under load, 3000kv @ 2s = 22200 under load, roughly) and though the end-rpm is close, the BL 3000 has at least twice the torque of the humble 27t.

I happen to like that, but can imagine that not everybody is charmed by a nervous projectile.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:07 AM   #39

I have mostly 2S batteries so I think I'm going to put my RC Gear Shop (rebranded HobbyWing) 120A waterproof sensorless ESC and 3900kV in my Digger. I was going to do it last night, but I'm waiting on a couple of other parts.

Plus, As long as the seller doesn't back out I'm supposed to pick up a NIB Bomber kit today so that has distracted me a little bit. If the Bomber gets adopted it can thank the SMT10. I had no interest in a Bomber until driving my Grave Digger and seeing how it handled. I think the Bomber will be similar, but that will be built for trail runs with the ability to do some crawling while still being fast enough to be fun.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

3900kv will work fine. Pretty fast for a MT.

Keep an eye on the idler-gear, though. It's the first thing that always goes on my SCX-10 gearbox based rigs. I usually replace it with the HotRacing steel gear set (if I can get it overhere in Europe, which is rather problematic. Ordering in The States hits us só hard with tariffs, that the relatively expensive Axial steel gearset @ €49.- becomes "cheap" )

Jato's SMT10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DNA's SMT10 from the ground up dna4engr Mega/Monster Trucks 39 06-22-2017 07:16 PM
Tedo's SMT10 tedo Mega/Monster Trucks 28 09-21-2016 02:17 PM
Throttle Out RC's SMT10 kstowe Mega/Monster Trucks 7 09-08-2016 10:01 AM
cboggs' SMT10 cboggs Mega/Monster Trucks 8 08-22-2016 06:25 AM