Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Jato's SMT10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #61

Default Re: Jato's SMT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
I've only put one video up on youtube and it was of my truck running and breaking the steering linkage (which Axial replaced for free with the aluminum upgrade).

I didn't even know the bomber was licensed until now, but either way, I'm going to guess that Monster Jam charged way more for the rights to their vehicles than whoever owns the 1:1 bomber design. The Grave Digger monster truck is arguably the most iconic vehicle in the history of all motor sports. The only one that might come close is Earnhardt's #3 car, and that's mostly due to Dale's fate.
I don't know why I hit such a dead end with Axial CS then.

I agree that the Grave Digger and Monster Jam licensing fees are most likely substantially more than the Bomber Fabrication fees. Most of us never even heard of Bomber Fabrication before the Axial Bomber.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #62
Rock Stacker

I mean wasn't the grave digger traxxas stampede more than the normal one? And monster jam and traxxas are close partners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killerbyrd14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbyrd14 View Post
I mean wasn't the grave digger traxxas stampede more than the normal one? And monster jam and traxxas are close partners.

Traxxas is no longer affiliated with Monster Jam. The Monster Jam Traxxas models were $20-$30 more than a normal Stampede if my memory serves me correctly. That being said, it's not really an equal comparison. The Stampede at that time was already a 10+ year old design, of which the development costs had probably already been repaid time and time again from previous iterations' sales. This is a brand new platform that Axial is likely going to be paying the debt off for for some time. Traxxas could afford to not raise the price that much, even with the licensing.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #64

Quote:
Not an apples to apples comparison, but, yes, the Monster Jam trucks were priced higher than the regular Stampedes. Most times Traxxas offers a body that is different from the normal one they charge an additional fee.

As chino stated, Traxxas is no longer affiliated with Monster Jam which is why they are now selling the Stamped with an officially licensed Bigfoot body. Interestingly enough, the Bigfoot version of the Stampede has the exact same list price as the standard, brushed Stampede.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #65
Rock Crawler

@ Jato
Quote:
I found the three screws sandwiching the bottom transmission gear between the outdrives had backed out. Apparently they don't use threadlock in China.
Ow.. You're right. Same with mine. But I had found that already when disassembling the tranny before i tried running it. A habit that saved me quite a bit of annoyance with other sc. "RTR" cars..

I tend to fully rebuild RTR's befor even running them, knowing full-well that China-Assembled cars/tanks/boats are -more often than not- shoddy assembled, with too little or no grease on gears and diffs, stripped screws, over torked parts etc. etc.

Quote:
Be better off buying a wraith kit and getting izilla chassis for around the same price with less headaches

Won't make a difference. Wraith kit has the same plastic/nylon gearbox innards be it with a bit of extra room for a DIG. Same axles too. The frame of the GD is nót the problem. It's all the rotating stuff..

Last edited by Jay-Em; 10-07-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #66

That izilla chassis looks really nice. After seeing it, I'm having second thoughts on my CPE Barbarian.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
tallyforeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #67
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyforeman View Post
That izilla chassis looks really nice. After seeing it, I'm having second thoughts on my CPE Barbarian.

My only problem with Cpe is that they don't sell on Amazon and that's where I shop.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

Quote:

It's also be cool to see a thread on it. Can't seem to find one.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #69
Rock Stacker

Quote:

You've done so much to that Cpe tho that it'd be more sensible to build a different one. (I read your whole thread on rc Sparks last night )

Old 10-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #70

Quote:
You've done so much to that Cpe tho that it'd be more sensible to build a different one. (I read your whole thread on rc Sparks last night )

Thanks! Yea, it seems like there's always something I'm doing to it. My goal of having a rc mega truck is almost complete. Just a few minor bugs to work out.

I only wish I had a full tube aluminum chassis though.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #71

Quote:
Thanks! Yea, it seems like there's always something I'm doing to it. My goal of having a rc mega truck is almost complete. Just a few minor bugs to work out.

I only wish I had a full tube aluminum chassis though.

I believe it was Hot Racing that used to make one a while back. You can find them, but not for cheap. There's always custom too, but those are also expensive.

Now that my Bomber is built and I'm happy with it my goal is to put the 3900kV motor in my SMT10.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #72

That's gonna be mean when you get it together! I subscribed to the thread. Good stuff!

Old 10-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #73

I had my SMT10 out today on 3S after driving my Bomber with the MMX/ROC412 3100kV combo. It was much slower than my Bomber, but I still had fun. I go back and forth on leaving the Digger stock, brushed versus upgrading to the 3900kV brushless system. To be continued...
Old 10-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #74

Are you guys changing the springs in the front of your SMT10? They seem rock hard. I really do think those hard springs help give it the monster truck handling though where it "pops" into the air off of jumps and bounces the front upon landing which makes it easy to slap wheelie.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

I swapped the springs around from front to back. Works fine, steering is a tad more aggressive, so I understand why Axial used the harder springs up front, because it is a tad more 'forgiving' that way.

Only thing currently different is that I have affixed the (shortened! ) dampers to the axles and filled them with 100cps oil, because the load is a tad less when in that position, leading to a bouncy ride with too hard shock-oil. It also does tend to roll a tad earlier compared to the on-the-swingarm position. However, it is much more stable on the straights on rough terrain.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #76

I had my Digger out tonight. After one too many reverse to forward wheelies I heard the infamous Axial grinding of gears. Anybody with a little bit of experience with Axial vehicles knows this is usually the idler gear. It was the idler gear in my case.

I have to say that after my initial issue with my truck it has been very tough on the stock electronics and 3S.

Time to upgrade to metal gears. Axial, Hot Racing, or Robinson Racing?

This will probably be the first time I try an aluminum transmission case as well. Again, I'll have to decide on the brand.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Hot Racing HT 61T Steel Extended Outdrive Transmission SCX10 SCP38HT03
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper

I threw the Axial metal gears in mine, and they've handled the 3S velenion brushless system with no issues. I even opened the transmission after a few packs to check, and they looked mint (used marine grease). My case looked just like yours does before I changed the gears out. I cleaned the case well and used it again despite the new groove. Seems to be holding up just fine.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #79

Thanks. I saw that transmission, but not for that price.

I ended up ordering [AX30708] Axial AX10 metal gear set and a Vanquish transmission case. I found the Axial gears for the same price as the HR gears or else I was leaning towards the HR gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
I threw the Axial metal gears in mine, and they've handled the 3S velenion brushless system with no issues. I even opened the transmission after a few packs to check, and they looked mint (used marine grease). My case looked just like yours does before I changed the gears out. I cleaned the case well and used it again despite the new groove. Seems to be holding up just fine.
You snuck your post in as I was replying to Rowdy. That's good to hear. Typically gears from the OEM are extremely high quality. I will definitely use grease on them.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 10-20-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #80

I have 80A and 120A sensored RC Gear Shop ESCs that I can use with the 3900kV 4-pole sensorless motor in my SMT10.

The 80A is a lot smaller so I'd like to use that one if possible. Do you think this ESC will be up to the task of an otherwise stock SMT10?

Jato's SMT10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DNA's SMT10 from the ground up dna4engr Mega/Monster Trucks 39 06-22-2017 07:16 PM
Tedo's SMT10 tedo Mega/Monster Trucks 28 09-21-2016 02:17 PM
Throttle Out RC's SMT10 kstowe Mega/Monster Trucks 7 09-08-2016 10:01 AM
cboggs' SMT10 cboggs Mega/Monster Trucks 8 08-22-2016 06:25 AM