Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Jato's SMT10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 06:18 AM   #121
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Jato's SMT10

Vanquish just came out with a set as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
OurJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurJK View Post
Vanquish just came out with a set as well.

I didn't know that. I just looked and found theirs are chromoly. CBRB axles are titanium, but 3X the cost. Decisions, decisions...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Ti has no place on a basher. It shares many characteristics with aluminum, one being that it work hardens and breaks. Go with VP if you want to upgrade.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #124
I wanna be Dave

I have seen broken Vps, not Creeper Bobs, used them in several rigs for several years. I have only bent not broken stock shafts.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Ti has no place on a basher. It shares many characteristics with aluminum, one being that it work hardens and breaks. Go with VP if you want to upgrade.
I ordered the VP axles. I might as well throw upgraded axles in while I have everything apart. Lots of people seem to be bending the stock axles on the SMT10 when running larger tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
I have seen broken Vps, not Creeper Bobs, used them in several rigs for several years. I have only bent not broken stock shafts.
That's surprising. I would expect to see bent chromoly and broken titanium.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 11-08-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's surprising. I would expect to see bent chromoly and broken titanium.
Expect the unexpected. I don't think you will have any issues, the broken ones I have seen were on U4 rigs.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #127
Quarry Creeper

All of my breaks were on a U4 rig, gobs of power and big rocks!!!

Old 11-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #128

Has anybody modified the stock wheels to accept SLW hubs? That might solve the stripped hex issue.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #129

I collected a bunch of upgrades for my Grave Digger. I wanted to switch to the JConcepts Tribute wheels and Firestorm tires and I know the extra weight and leverage will probably wreak havoc on the drivetrain and axles. Therefore I was proactive and bought parts to strengthen the weak links.

The tires really are massive. I don't like the foam covers that go on the wheels. How did you guys manage to slide the wheels into the tires and foams without the wheel foams bunching up?

Axial
Universals

Beef Tubes
Aluminum Beef Tubes

JConcepts
Firestorm tires
Tribute wheels

STRC
Trailing arm reinforcemen plates

Traxxas
T-Maxx driveshafts

Vanquish
Rear axles
Servo mount

Old 11-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #130
I wanna be Dave

A few dabs of shoe goo/e6000 kept my foams in place.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #131
Pebble Pounder

Hey, sorry to veer off track but could you explain and post some photos of how you hook up the t-max driveline. Sorry if this is obvious but I can't picture it in my head. Thank you.
Sapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #132
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapes View Post
Hey, sorry to veer off track but could you explain and post some photos of how you hook up the t-max driveline. Sorry if this is obvious but I can't picture it in my head. Thank you.
Nvrmind. I figured it out, lol
Sapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #133

I actually didn't install the T-Maxx shafts yet. I installed pretty much everything else though.

Here it is after installing the Axial front universals, aluminum Beef Tubes, STRC lockouts and trailing arm plates, VP rear axle shafts and JConcepts Tribute wheels and Firestorm tires. So cool looking! So much fun to drive too. I'm loving it.

I wanted to take a test drive with the new wheels and tires before it got dark so I ghetto patched the broken front driveshaft like this and it worked! It didn't let up during the battery pack I ran. Zip ties FTW!

Another VP part another issue. I'm very critical of Vanquish and I get a lot of crap for it but, in my experience, they aren't worth the price. I always have an aesthetic or functional issue. The rear axles are no different.

I had to grind about .100" off the end of the short side axle because it was too long. Completely unacceptable in my opinion.

VP on the left and stock Axial on the right.

VP axle is too long and wouldn't allow the STRC lockout to slide on all the way.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 11-18-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #134
I wanna be Dave

Those wheels and tires look good on there. I just ordered the wheels last night gathering parts for my build. I plan on getting those tires aswell. Which compound did you get? Also what offset hub?
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Those wheels and tires look good on there. I just ordered the wheels last night gathering parts for my build. I plan on getting those tires aswell. Which compound did you get? Also what offset hub?
Thanks!

I'm using the Blue compound. I'll mostly be using this truck in my back yard and this is what JConcepts recommends for grass. Unless you're running on a surface that's going to quickly wear tires or give you too much traction I think Blue is the way too go.

I'm using the largest offset hub. I didn't want to because I'm worried about the extra leverage that will wreak havoc on parts, but it's the only offset to clear the steering knuckles and tierod and trailing arms. The positive is that the track is much wider making the truck more stable. I have much fewer rollovers. Turning radius is definitely increased though. If somebody wants to be different and make a good product they should make machined bent trailing arms.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #136

I drove the Digger some more today. It looks so awesome with the new wheels. It's more fun to drive and watch.

Now I just need to find a 7mm driver to fit inside the JConcepts wheels.

Old vs New

Old 11-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #137

Yesterday it was near 70 degrees and sunny. Today it's been in the 30's and 40's with sleet and snow so I didn't drive any RC.

I installed KBess limiting straps on the Digger. They look cool and the color matches fairly well.

The Digger is setting on my 3D printed stand.

Just an FYI. I found a Craftsman 7mm nut driver in my toolbox and it fits inside the JConcepts hubs. Perfect.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #138
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yesterday it was near 70 degrees and sunny. Today it's been in the 30's and 40's with sleet and snow so I didn't drive any RC.

I installed KBess limiting straps on the Digger. They look cool and the color matches fairly well.

The Digger is setting on my 3D printed stand.

Just an FYI. I found a Craftsman 7mm nut driver in my toolbox and it fits inside the JConcepts hubs. Perfect.

I use a 7mm 1/4 drive deep socket on all my rigs

Old 11-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #139
RCC Addict

Quote:
Another VP part another issue. I'm very critical of Vanquish and I get a lot of crap for it but, in my experience, they aren't worth the price. I always have an aesthetic or functional issue. The rear axles are no different.

I had to grind about .100" off the end of the short side axle because it was too long. Completely unacceptable in my opinion.

VP axle is too long and wouldn't allow the STRC lockout to slide on all the way.
I know this is going back a little but just as a point of clarification for anyone else reading, the VP axles are the perfect length IF your using a locker, which is what they were designed to fit in a Wraith/Ridgecrest.
In VP maximising the tang engagement in a locker/spool there's not room between the 2 axle ends for the spider gear cross pin.
I had the same "overlength" issue as you with some VP vvds when I changed to an open centre in the front my U4 truck, though they were fine with the spool previously installed.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:49 AM   #140
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
I know this is going back a little but just as a point of clarification for anyone else reading, the VP axles are the perfect length IF your using a locker, which is what they were designed to fit in a Wraith/Ridgecrest.
In VP maximising the tang engagement in a locker/spool there's not room between the 2 axle ends for the spider gear cross pin.
I had the same "overlength" issue as you with some VP vvds when I changed to an open centre in the front my U4 truck, though they were fine with the spool previously installed.
Great info right here I thought I was going crazy trying to install them on my SMT10.

Jato's SMT10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DNA's SMT10 from the ground up dna4engr Mega/Monster Trucks 39 06-22-2017 07:16 PM
Tedo's SMT10 tedo Mega/Monster Trucks 28 09-21-2016 02:17 PM
Throttle Out RC's SMT10 kstowe Mega/Monster Trucks 7 09-08-2016 10:01 AM
cboggs' SMT10 cboggs Mega/Monster Trucks 8 08-22-2016 06:25 AM