Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: New JConcepts Monster Truck Tires/wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #21

Default Re: New JConcepts Monster Truck Tires/wheels

I really like the look of Jconcepts tires, both of them. They look very scale and I like that they're offering multiple compounds

What I feel makes a lot of RC MT's look out of scale is the width and wheelbase that people run. On RC's the inner part of the tire is almost always well past the outside of the body, I haven't seen any full fender monster trucks with this stance. The inside if the tire should at most be on the same plane as the outside of the body and preferably be slightly inside of it. And the wheelbase that most people run is far too long to line up with the wheel wells. Most full scale trucks do this as well but to a lesser degree so it's not as big of a deal as the width issue but it's still an issue.

I realize that we run these trucks this wide and long to increase the stability, steering throw, and overall performance but if we're going to do that then we can't complain about the "scaleness" as much as we do.

What we be great is if companies start making larger bodies to fit the dimension that most people run. The Parma 1/8th GD body and HPI's 79 ford body are two that I can think if that are currently available.
marinearmeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Those look great! I didn't like the look of this truck with the stock wheels and tires, but after seeing these mounted up I think I may have to get one now. I'd like to do an old school pickup bodied monster, Bigfoot, Bearfoot, Awesome Kong etc.
markturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Any info on release dates?
OurJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurJK View Post
Any info on release dates?
October is all I have heard.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

anymore news on these any one plan to make 17mm hex adapters for the tribute wheel, what would the compound be like with the tires im looking for some thing long lasting i will be using on aspalt and a little on dirt
steven318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven318is View Post
anymore news on these any one plan to make 17mm hex adapters for the tribute wheel, what would the compound be like with the tires im looking for some thing long lasting i will be using on aspalt and a little on dirt
They have been released.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

You can buy them direct from jconcepts now. Tower has them listed now and available early Nov.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #28

Question Re: New JConcepts Monster Truck Tires/wheels

I want weight comparison between Brawlers, and Tributes
USA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:36 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
They have been released.

By chance do you have a link to buy them at?

thanks
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:01 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
By chance do you have a link to buy them at?

thanks

Tribute - 2.6 x 3.6" Monster Truck Wheel | JConcepts
Old 10-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Far too wide for my taste. They will look great on the somewhat bigger TXT, though.
I firmly believe that "ballooning" the original tires by widening the wheels a tad, say by 1.5 cm, will look even more 'scale' than the GD already does. It helps the look of f.i the Wheely King immensly.

Oh, and afa "scale size" goes. I noticed that in real-life monstertruck races they often use different sized- and differently shaved tires for different events. They even change wheelbase here&there. Afa measuring and directly calculate 'scale' from real-life trucks goes, well, that's An excercise in fulility if it's not a complete custom build, frame et all. Most rc manufacturers are rather 'loose' with their 1/10 or 1/8th scale denominations.
It's all about proportions. These new tires are way out of proportion for the GD, but seem spot-on for somewhat bigger trucks.

Don't believe me? Just google and look for yourself. Axial is pretty close with their choice imho.

The huge tires are more at place on "classic", military truck chassis- and axle based monstertrucks, that were far more square-ish in their appearance. The current-gen, -space-frame, long-wheelbase- trucks can do stuff that would make classic trucks asplode, or kill their driver in no-time short. They are closer to solid-axle buggies with larger wheels, than "trucks"

However, in the end, it's all about personal preferences. I detèst over-sized Clod wheels on smaller MT's, I really do, builds like that make me throw-up in my mouth for a bit (okay, I'm over-exaggerating "a tad" ) but other people really love that weird look. Same goes for those people that jack-up the body to ridiculous heights. It looks like crapola to me, but others really go for that. (And don't get me started on Mud-Trucks.... )

Hey, I love southern rock-bouncers, while others have to sit-down for a bit when confronted with those odd-ball contraptions...

Last edited by Jay-Em; 10-21-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:05 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post

Thanks for the link.But once again there out of them..
Old 10-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
Thanks for the link.But once again there out of them..

Sounds like they're gonna be popular....online retailers should have them by the end of October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RichMTB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMTB01 View Post
Sounds like they're gonna be popular....online retailers should have them by the end of October

Sweet thanks
Old 10-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Full reveal video on my SMT10 is up:

https://youtu.be/6pWDmSAc3sA

RichMTB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Looks good. I actually have the same body waiting to be painted, I was hoping it was a bit longer now that I see it on yours. I haven't got my truck yet, just been ordering parts (body, paint, transmission parts, brushless) getting ready for the build and kind of waiting to see if Axial releases another one in the mean time.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Far too wide for my taste. They will look great on the somewhat bigger TXT, though.
I firmly believe that "ballooning" the original tires by widening the wheels a tad, say by 1.5 cm, will look even more 'scale' than the GD already does. It helps the look of f.i the Wheely King immensly.

Oh, and afa "scale size" goes. I noticed that in real-life monstertruck races they often use different sized- and differently shaved tires for different events. They even change wheelbase here&there. Afa measuring and directly calculate 'scale' from real-life trucks goes, well, that's An excercise in fulility if it's not a complete custom build, frame et all. Most rc manufacturers are rather 'loose' with their 1/10 or 1/8th scale denominations.
It's all about proportions. These new tires are way out of proportion for the GD, but seem spot-on for somewhat bigger trucks.

Don't believe me? Just google and look for yourself. Axial is pretty close with their choice imho.

The huge tires are more at place on "classic", military truck chassis- and axle based monstertrucks, that were far more square-ish in their appearance. The current-gen, -space-frame, long-wheelbase- trucks can do stuff that would make classic trucks asplode, or kill their driver in no-time short. They are closer to solid-axle buggies with larger wheels, than "trucks"

However, in the end, it's all about personal preferences. I detèst over-sized Clod wheels on smaller MT's, I really do, builds like that make me throw-up in my mouth for a bit (okay, I'm over-exaggerating "a tad" ) but other people really love that weird look. Same goes for those people that jack-up the body to ridiculous heights. It looks like crapola to me, but others really go for that. (And don't get me started on Mud-Trucks.... )

Hey, I love southern rock-bouncers, while others have to sit-down for a bit when confronted with those odd-ball contraptions...
I agree with you. The huge tires don't look scale on the SMT10.

So what's better - the JConcepts tires and wheels or the ProLine tires and wheels?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:12 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I think what makes alot of monster trucks not scale is the goofy tvp chassis'. lol Which is why I'm gonna use a SMT chassis.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #39

I changed my mind about the looks of the massive JConcepts/Proline wheels and tires on the SMT10. I put the Tribute wheels and Firestorm wheels and tires on my Digger and I love the look and it just makes the truck so much more bad ass and fun to drive.

I am currently searching for a hex driver to fit down inside the JConcepts hubs though. I only have one and don't want to grind it without having a spare. So I might as well buy one that's a direct fit.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I changed my mind about the looks of the massive JConcepts/Proline wheels and tires on the SMT10. I put the Tribute wheels and Firestorm wheels and tires on my Digger and I love the look and it just makes the truck so much more bad ass and fun to drive.

I am currently searching for a hex driver to fit down inside the JConcepts hubs though. I only have one and don't want to grind it without having a spare. So I might as well buy one that's a direct fit.
I just got an SMT10 for xmas... and the JConcepts Firestorms, and my truck looks SO badass badass now... the Firestorms are proportionally accurate to the real deal versus the Prolines or the other JConcepts... the lower tires look like steamrollers because they are as wide as they are tall... I forgot that monster truck tires are really not THAT big (only 5' 6" tall)

I'll post a pic later (at my sister in law's house)

Also got the Proline 50's panel truck because it looks more like the real GD

Last edited by Akura2; 12-26-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote