Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: New JConcepts Monster Truck Tires/wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New JConcepts Monster Truck Tires/wheels

Just got in a pre-release set of MT wheels and tires for my SMT10 Grave Digger. Now it's a proper fit!

https://youtu.be/KVXNk6m0vB0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RichMTB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default New JConcepts Monster Truck Tires/wheels

Here's some photos as well

Old 09-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New JConcepts Monster Truck Tires/wheels

I NEED them!
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:27 AM   #4

Nobody likes braggers! I'm just jealous you have these and I don't.

The wheels look a lot like the ProLine wheels, but it's so cool that JConcepts includes the different offset hubs. Take note RC industry that nickel and dimes us more each day.

I also like the tires. It will be interesting to see how JConepts wheel and tire combo compares to ProLine's combo.

I am not convinced 2.6" wheels and tires look better or "more scale" than the stock 2.2" wheels and tires though. Monster trucks do not look like they're rolling on dubs. The 2.6" wheels on the SMT10 kind of gives it this look. They're out of scale.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Someone needs to make a 2.2 that's twice as wide. That to me would be the perfect look.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
YXLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Nobody likes braggers! I'm just jealous you have these and I don't.

The wheels look a lot like the ProLine wheels, but it's so cool that JConcepts includes the different offset hubs. Take note RC industry that nickel and dimes us more each day.

I also like the tires. It will be interesting to see how JConepts wheel and tire combo compares to ProLine's combo.

I am not convinced 2.6" wheels and tires look better or "more scale" than the stock 2.2" wheels and tires though. Monster trucks do not look like they're rolling on dubs. The 2.6" wheels on the SMT10 kind of gives it this look. They're out of scale.

I hear ya.....but what the 2.6" wheel does is give a bit of breathing room for steering/axle components.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I don't think these tires look any better than the stock ones. The rims are too big and the tires are too wide. The height on the stock tires is pretty much perfect, they just need another inch or so of width. I don't think they look bad, they are just too big for this truck.

Last edited by chino; 09-27-2016 at 09:03 AM.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXLER View Post
Someone needs to make a 2.2 that's twice as wide. That to me would be the perfect look.
Not twice as wide. That would make the tire wider than it is tall and that would just look silly IMO.

I'd like 2.2's with just a tad more sidewall, but, again, I really like the stock wheels and tires as-is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMTB01 View Post
I hear ya.....but what the 2.6" wheel does is give a bit of breathing room for steering/axle components.
That makes sense, but I don't really feel that I need more room between the steering and wheels. It works fine as-is.

I would think the JConcepts combo would give a little more stability due to the width. I am planning on trying it for sure.

What rubber compound are these made from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
I don't think these tires look any better than the stock ones. The rims are too big and the tires are too wide. The height on the stock tires is pretty much perfect, they just need another inch or so of width.
I like the look of both of them. I'm not sure if the JConcepts look better or worse. They're just different.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I wish the treads were shaved down like the real deal. I have to give the nod to Pro-Line for going that route with their Destroyer tires.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Another thread where no one is happy about anything...
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I don't think these tires look any better than the stock ones. The rims are too big and the tires are too wide. The height on the stock tires is pretty much perfect, they just need another inch or so of width.
Just a little info regarding the tire/wheel size - The size that is written on the 1:1 tires is 66x43x25” (full tread height without buffing or grinding). When you convert that to 1/10th scale its 6.6” x 4.3” x 2.5”. The Clodbuster wheels and most all other MT wheels are 2.6, so that is the reason for the 2.6". So basically the stock Axial wheel/tire is not true to scale and is very undersized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
I wish the treads were shaved down like the real deal. I have to give the nod to Pro-Line for going that route with their Destroyer tires.
You mean like these....There will be two tires available

Paul Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=Paul Wynn;5568115]Just a little info regarding the tire/wheel size - The size that is written on the 1:1 tires is 66x43x25” (full tread height without buffing or grinding). When you convert that to 1/10th scale its 6.6” x 4.3” x 2.5”. The Clodbuster wheels and most all other MT wheels are 2.6, so that is the reason for the 2.6". So basically the stock Axial wheel/tire is not true to scale and is very

Very good points, Paul

Old 09-28-2016, 12:59 AM   #13

Exactly. Clod "Size" is the true and only proper tire size for a 1/10 scale MT.
Personal pet peeve of mine. I don't think that any R/C 1/10 scale should be called a MT without Clod size tires.

Now back to topic, how much do the JConcepts wheels weigh? I'm assuming they are hex drive.

Anyone with weight on Pro-Line Brawlers?

And how them Renegades, compare in weight to RC4wd The Rumble Race MTs

Last edited by USA1; 09-28-2016 at 01:04 AM.
USA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wynn View Post
Just a little info regarding the tire/wheel size - The size that is written on the 1:1 tires is 66x43x25” (full tread height without buffing or grinding). When you convert that to 1/10th scale its 6.6” x 4.3” x 2.5”. The Clodbuster wheels and most all other MT wheels are 2.6, so that is the reason for the 2.6". So basically the stock Axial wheel/tire is not true to scale and is very undersized.

Yeah, but that's assuming everything else that comes on the SMT is true 1/10 scale. Is the SMT's chassis a legit 1/10 scale, or did Axial slap the '1/10' on there to compete in the market?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

RC4WD B&H's with the Brawlers are 13.9 oz each. The stockers are 9.7 oz.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
YXLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
Yeah, but that's assuming everything else that comes on the SMT is true 1/10 scale. Is the SMT's chassis a legit 1/10 scale, or did Axial slap the '1/10' on there to compete in the market?
I'm not here to say if it is or isn't true to scale as they claim, but I just wanted to clear up that the JConcepts wheels and tires are true to scale

Quote from Axial description for the SMT - "Very similar to modern era full size monster trucks, this chassis was developed for maximum strength and an extremely detailed appearance. Not to mention, it’s the first true-to-scale 4WD straight axle Monster Jam Truck available on the market today!"

Quote:
Now back to topic, how much do the JConcepts wheels weigh? I'm assuming they are hex drive.
I'm working getting a weight, in the meantime, here are some Q/A FAQ's

JConcepts - Monster Truck FAQ - Click Here for Video

Scheduled for a early/mid October release

Tires and wheel -
1. What size are the tires?
The Renegade is based on the low-profile race tires already on the market. Actual size is 5.80"H X 4.05"W
The Firestorm is based on the 66x42x25 Firestone tires from Bigfoot. They are lowered cleat and detailed to resemble the actual scale tire. Actual size is 6.20"H X 4.05"W

2. What size are the wheels?
The Tribute wheels are based on a 90's style Bigfoot wheel in style and design. They are 2.6" bead mounting diameter and 3.6" wide. Scale MT wheels are 25/26" diameter and 36" wide.

3. Can you change the offset of the wheels?
Yes. We have designed 3 hub widths ranging from "stock clod" to extra wide. We mark them as 11, 18 and 25mm offsets to fit the various trucks on the market including the SMT10.

4. What wheel colors will be available?
3 color choices will be offered. White, Black and Silver.

5. Are there open and closed planetary caps for scale looks?
Yes. One of the caps is solid faced and must be removed to access the wheel nuts. The other has a hole built into it so the wheel nut can be accessed all the time. All caps and hubs will be the color of the wheel choice. White is of course dyeable.

6. Will the JConcepts tires mount on other wheels?
Yes. The tires can be mounted on any current Clod Buster or TXT wheel. However, they are sized to fit the scale sized JConcepts Tribute wheel.

7. What vehicles will the new Tribute wheel fit?
So far we have tested and approved them on the Tamiya Clod Buster, Axial SMT10, Axial axle based trucks and Traxxas Stampede 4x4.

8. What compounds will be offered in the tires?
We will offer two compounds of each. 1 will be our Super Soft Green compound and the other will be a Soft clay compound.

9. Will the tires include inserts?
Yes, both tires will include an open cell insert that is sized appropriately to each size carcass.

10. What items will come with the Tribute wheels?
Two wheels per package which include the offset hubs, closed and open planetary covers and hardware for assembly.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:20 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wynn View Post
I'm not here to say if it is or isn't true to scale as they claim, but I just wanted to clear up that the JConcepts wheels and tires are true to scale

Not denying that. I love those wheels and tires. I just think they are too big for the SMT10. If I was running a larger clod-based rig, they'd look mint.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Unfortunately all the wheels we currently have are mounted and in use, so I weighed a mounted Renegades tire w/ foam insert on a Tribute wheel with full Planetary cap and fasteners along with the 25mm (biggest one) wide offset hex adapter and fasteners. All in all everything together weighed 328g/11.57oz.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

any plans for 17mm hex for the wheels i got freestyle rc axles ordered and they use traxxas 17mm hex would like to use these wheels
steven318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven318is View Post
any plans for 17mm hex for the wheels i got freestyle rc axles ordered and they use traxxas 17mm hex would like to use these wheels
You can put traxxas 12mm hexes on Freestyles, I do.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote