Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: PL DEstroyers on JConcepts tribute?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2017, 02:04 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default PL DEstroyers on JConcepts tribute?

Building myself a smt10. Ordered a set of tributes wheels and destroyer tires. Haven't received them yet but from pics it seem the tributes has a narrower space for the tyre bead compared to clod and brawler wheels.

Anyone fitted this combo? Can I simply cut and narrow the bead on the proline tyres?

Please don't tell I need to order a set of renegades :( These things costs much as it is allready...
Crawler++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2017, 07:53 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: PL DEstroyers on JConcepts tribute?

Yep, they don't fit. The proline tires have a wider bead. You could cut it, or get the proline brawlers.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmnss View Post
Yep, they don't fit. The proline tires have a wider bead.
Also the Jc wheels are smaller diameter than all the other clod size wheels. I trimmed the bead on a set of rumbles and tried to mount to tributes, there was a gap between the wheel and tire I couldn't deal with (about 1mm all the way around).
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

That is typical... I believe you about the 1mm size missmatch, but I find it hard to believe

Ok, that the beads might be wider but why do these companies go and make non-compatible stuff? I guess I could sell the destroyers and get a set or renegades rather than slicing up a new set of tires.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

J concepts is the only one who made odd sized stuff, I guess so you have to buy their tires if you want their wheels to fit properly.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
J concepts is the only one who made odd sized stuff, I guess so you have to buy their tires if you want their wheels to fit properly.
I think it was a stupid move by JConcepts to make their stuff so proprietary, but at the same time I think the JConcepts tire/wheel combo looks the best. The Proline tire/wheel combo is kind of odd looking. The Destroyer looks too short, too wide, and the sidewalls are too short making the wheel look oversized.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I think it was a stupid move by JConcepts to make their stuff so proprietary, but at the same time I think the JConcepts tire/wheel combo looks the best. The Proline tire/wheel combo is kind of odd looking. The Destroyer looks too short, too wide, and the sidewalls are too short making the wheel look oversized.
But I liked that almost cartoon-ish look about them I did choose tributes because I find the idea with replaceable wheel hubs really beneficial if/when you round out the hex pattern.

Now, the firestorms look really nice in pics but they might be almost too big? Renegades was my first choice though, should have sticked to that. I also know that my 5 year old son will simply love these kind of tires and I could just give him the destroyers for his 6 year birthday to go on his wraith.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Agreed.

I dislike the PL tires but I like the wheels ok.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler++ View Post
But I liked that almost cartoon-ish look about them I did choose tributes because I find the idea with replaceable wheel hubs really beneficial if/when you round out the hex pattern.

Now, the firestorms look really nice in pics but they might be almost too big? Renegades was my first choice though, should have sticked to that. I also know that my 5 year old son will simply love these kind of tires and I could just give him the destroyers for his 6 year birthday to go on his wraith.
The Firestorms aren't too big at all in my opinion.

This photo is on RCMT and the poster states, "From left to right. Kyosho USA-1 tire on clod wheel, Firestorm on clod wheel, Firestorm on tribute wheel, clod tire on clod wheel, clod tire on tribute wheel, Renegade on tribute wheel, Renegade on clod wheel, Destroyer on brawler wheel and last is a Rumble on brawler wheel."

Old 01-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I've seen that pic. Need to find more pics with them on a smt10. You guys have the weight of the firestorms compared to the renegades or destroyers?

Firestorm is looks more old skool. I like that. Damn all these tires looks so good
Old 01-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The Firestorms are PERFECT for what they are meant for RETRO class and or anyone wanting the 80's monster truck styling.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
The Firestorms are PERFECT for what they are meant for RETRO class and or anyone wanting the 80's monster truck styling.
true, but what do I! want???

Seriously, thanks for the help and input
Old 01-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #13

I love the Firestorms. I loved them in pictures and when I got them and put them on Tribute wheels and installed them on my SMT10 Grave Digger I loved them even more. I don't think there's a better looking tire/wheel combo than the Tributes wrapped by Firestorms.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I love the Firestorms. I loved them in pictures and when I got them and put them on Tribute wheels and installed them on my SMT10 Grave Digger I loved them even more. I don't think there's a better looking tire/wheel combo than the Tributes wrapped by Firestorms.
checked your thread and pics. Those sure look awesome and on the edge of too big At lest the close up side shot. On a distance it looks less oversize. Will have to think more about that this.

You know if slw hubs fit the tribute wheels?
Old 01-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You know if slw hubs fit the tribute wheels?
They do not.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Here you go, my buddies truck on firestorms
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #17

Here's my Tamiya Clod Buster with the stock wheels and tires next to my Axial SMT10 Grave Digger with JConcepts Tribute wheels and Firestorm tires. I'm using the widest offset hubs on the JConcepts Tribute wheels to gain the most steering throw. This increases the scrub radius, of course, but the added width also makes the truck more stable and less prone to rollovers.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:07 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Looks nice guys!

Any weight on the firestorms + tribute wheels? I think I saw a measurment in a thread but I can't find now.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Looks nice guys!

Any weight on the firestorms + tribute wheels? I think I saw a measurment in a thread but I can't find now.
I don't have the weight of the JConcepts combo, but I can try to remember to weigh it tonight when I get home.

There are weights for some other combos on my SMT10 thread, but not the JConcepts.
Jato's SMT10
Old 01-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I read that. thank you for posting it. I see right now tower has brawlers listed and reduced member shipping today. With that and coupons I think I might go for them. That gives me more time to decide between renegades and firestorms. JConcepts are not as common in eu as proline and I sorta have to order from the US but the customs toll is like a black cloud of unhappiness surrounding the buy. Always have to hope for parts not to get stuck in customs with all charges that are applied.

And this ->
Listed price of Proline Destroyers are 686 SEK here in Sweden, that's roughly 76$, and listen carefully... that is for a set of 2 tires.