Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Monster Energy SMT10 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #1

Default *Running Video* Monster Energy SMT10 Build *Build Complete!!*

What's up everyone! I know it's kinda odd for my first post on a crawler forum to be about a monster truck but here we go anyway. I had a solid axle truck based on the Cpe barbarian chassis but liked the scale look and suspension geometry of the SMT10 chassis. Instead of posting pictures like any other threads, I actually made a video of my build. I'll also post a list of the upgrades and stuff then. Until then, I hope you enjoy part one!

Sorry for the horrible quality on part 1, I think I lowered the resolution when exporting it on accident. As I said, here is the list of parts on this thing.

SMT-10 chassis dyed black
Traxxas Velineon Brushless system
PowerHD LF-20MG servo
GPM Aluminum trailing arms
SSD titanium upper links
RHDesigns sway bars
MIP driveshafts
Proline 2.6 Destroyer tires
Proline 2.6 Brawler wheels

Axles:
Stock AR60 Housings
Axial heavy duty bevel gear set front and rear
Vanquish stage one kit

Don't think I missed anything. Thanks for watching!

What's up everyone! The build is almost done. I paint to body and wheels and also find a problem in this episode. Check it out below

My build is now complete! I wasn't happy with the old shocks because they were too short, limiting the suspension travel. I replaced them with the factory SMT10 shocks for now and also added a RH Designs wheelie bar. Subscribe to my channel to see the first running video hopefully next week.

My first run with the SMT-10 was awesome. Had a problem with the upper arms and also stripped the spur gear but the truck was fun. Check out the running video below!

Ran into some problems on my second and third runs with the SMT10. Hope everyone enjoys the video! Looking for some feedback on everything about the videos from camera angles to editing so let me know what you think.

Shorter running video this time cause I ran into some problems with the wheel coming off again. Looks like I stripped a hex, new wheels on the way! Let me know what you think of the videos!

Last edited by THX_138; 12-11-2018 at 09:20 PM.
FTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Monster Energy SMT10 Build

Watched all of these. Nice upgrades and good videos
nzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Hi from Mongolia,

I really enjoyed your videos, and they're a big help as I try to decide if I'm going to build my SMT10 from the ground up, or from an RTR. So far I only have Wraith axles, JCon Tribute/Renegades and a HW Max 8 ESC. I am not sure if it would cost less to build from a RTR because I have no use for the stock wheels and body, and there are many durability upgrades I'll need to make to run 3500-4000kv on 3s power.

Thanks for the videos,
MP
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I would probably recommend building from the ground up. These trucks are not cheap no matter which way you go so you are probably better off building yourself so you can upgrade needed parts such as diffs and tranny gears right away. Plus I always found building a truck myself helped me learn more about the truck.

I decided to replace the back wheels since the hexes were rounding out. I decided to make a video where I talk to explain things and hope everyone enjoys it. Let me know if you think I should continue talking in my build videos or just have music over the video!

Old 11-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #5

Just a little update on this build. This truck is still a blast to run! I've upgraded a few things now, including shimming the diffs, adding beef tubes in the rear, installing a BEC and Savox 1230SG servo, and a Vanquish servo mount. Its still not perfect, but part of the fun of the hobby is tuning and upgrading as you go!

Monster Energy SMT10 Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster Energy SCX10 II Build joerc2013 Axial SCX10 II 1 07-18-2016 10:24 PM
WOW... who wants a USED Monster Energy Can?!?!?!? GeneralG Chit Chat 6 01-21-2008 04:02 PM
Monster energy. Mikekx65 Paint and Body 5 09-03-2007 11:57 PM