Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: SMT10 Build Post #1 Literally from the Ground Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default SMT10 Build Post #1 Literally from the Ground Up

Greetings from rainy Ulaanbaatar,

I've been around this awesome site for my trail trucks, and now I find I am truly screwed, as I have been bitten HARD by the SAMT bug.

So, I will build an SMT10-based MT. Like the title says, I will build it from the ground up because the only thing I have bought so far are the wheels and tires. A local RC buddy will hook me up with some Wraith axles, and I have a Hobbywing Max 8 ESC, which I will power with 3s. That's it, that's all I have so far. Next I have to decide if I am going to build it piece by piece from scratch, or if it would make more sense financially to buy an RTR and upgrade from that. I know for sure I have no use for the stock Digger body and wheels, and there's no local market for those items here, since this would be the ONLY SMT10 in Mongolia, as far as I know.

Would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks for stopping by,
MP
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #2

Default Re: SMT10 Build Post #1 Literally from the Ground Up

It's going to be expensive to start from the ground up. But if you're not going to use most of the parts then I don't see why you'd need to buy the RTR. You need the roll cage/chassis. You already have the axles. The transmissions are a dime a dozen and so are links and driveshafts. I honestly see no reason to start with the RTR in your case.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
It's going to be expensive to start from the ground up. But if you're not going to use most of the parts then I don't see why you'd need to buy the RTR. You need the roll cage/chassis. You already have the axles. The transmissions are a dime a dozen and so are links and driveshafts. I honestly see no reason to start with the RTR in your case.
Thanks Jato. I just read through your thread and I can tell how much you love your Digger. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to get the chassis off ebay and go piece by piece. That'll give me time to research and get exactly the parts I like, and to decide what I want to do for a body. Plus, the expense of the build won't sting as much since I'll be spreading it out over time.

Cheers,
MP

Last edited by Mongol Pete; 07-18-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

smart way to build! see if you can get a slider from rcrecycler? they are on ebay. keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds here too.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
smart way to build! see if you can get a slider from rcrecycler? they are on ebay. keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds here too.
I avoid RC Recycler. Their prices seem high and their used stuff sometimes looks pretty beat. You can, or at least could, get new take-off SMT10 chassis on eBay.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

There is at least one brand new chassis slider ebay. It includes the cage, axles, shocks and the transmission for $215, not bad. This will be my first axial product, so excuse me for a NEWB question...what would I need to change Wraith axles to open diffs? Also, does anyone run these as bashers with no transmission?

Thanks again,
MP
Old 07-23-2018, 07:19 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

You can use the Yeti/exo differentials although the HPI Sprint spider gears are the same dimensions and better quality. The diffs are a bit of a weak point so buy some spare spider gears and some high pressure grease to go in them. They can't be sealed,so oil is out of the question. Vanquish clamping lockouts on the axles are also worth while, as are beef tubes.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongol Pete View Post
There is at least one brand new chassis slider ebay. It includes the cage, axles, shocks and the transmission for $215, not bad. This will be my first axial product, so excuse me for a NEWB question...what would I need to change Wraith axles to open diffs? Also, does anyone run these as bashers with no transmission?

Thanks again,
MP
Did you buy that chassis? If not I'd suggest not getting it.

I got a rollcage/chassis with skid plate for around $100 shipped. The stock trans has a plastic case and plastic gears. The gears need to be upgraded, but I'd also suggest upgrading the case to aluminum. The stock shocks are junk like the rest of Axial's shocks.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Jato,

I've not bought any new parts yet. I was thinking I'd get the stock trans and upgrade, but maybe cheaper to just get the Hot Racing full metal transmission. The next step is to decide which axles to use. It seems the ar60s have the most upgrades available , but need money upgrades to be good. The Kyosho Mad axles are supposed to be super tough, but too wide? Also, it'd be a PIA to get parts. Finally, it would be awesome to run Clod axles, but I'm told metal gears are expensive.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
MP
Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Jato,

I've not bought any new parts yet. I was thinking I'd get the stock trans and upgrade, but maybe cheaper to just get the Hot Racing full metal transmission. The next step is to decide which axles to use. It seems the ar60s have the most upgrades available , but need money upgrades to be good. The Kyosho Mad axles are supposed to be super tough, but too wide? Also, it'd be a PIA to get parts. Finally, it would be awesome to run Clod axles, but I'm told metal gears are expensive.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
MP
You're welcome.

I forget what the HR full metal trans includes. I just use a VP case with Axial gears. Hot Racing gears are supposed to be good and are cheaper than Axial's I believe.

Clod axles are MOA (Motor On Axle) so they each require a motor. That doesn't look right IMO. I'm more of a shafty guy. There are lots of upgrades available for the AR60 axles. They are relatively cheap and readily available. They do need upgrades though because they are weak in stock form. I have no experience with the Kyosho axles so I can't comment on those. Freestyle RC is said to make the best, most durable monster truck axles, but they are huge (not scale looking) and expensive and usually backordered.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:17 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have the HR trans in my Barbarian and so far so good.

One note on the axles, no matter what you get, there's still potential for them to bend as the exit the lockouts, where the hexes sit. I've got Vanquish OCPs with clamping lockouts on mine, to avoid play appearing over time, but the more flexible plastic axles may save shafts better.

Last edited by mond; 07-25-2018 at 06:42 AM.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks again guys. At the moment, I'm pretty set on using the stock smt10 chassis and ar60s. It'll be fun to get the rest piece by piece while I decide on the body.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:32 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thinking about all the little bits needed for a complete truck like shock mounts, body posts etc...got me thinking it would be smarter to begin with the RTR. Am I wrong?

Thanks for stopping by,
MP
Old 07-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thinking about all the little bits needed for a complete truck like shock mounts, body posts etc...got me thinking it would be smarter to begin with the RTR. Am I wrong?

Thanks for stopping by,
MP
If you get that roller that you were talking about you have most everything to get started plus the extra parts bag, that always comes in handy. Sure you will replace some stuff but it will get you familiar with your rig. I got that one and the only thing that didnt come with it were the electronics and tires/wheels.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
FormallySkullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:44 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

A roller for $235 with the body or the RTR will be the way I go. My son just told me he wants a Gravedigger. I had no intention of running that body, but maybe now I'll need it, along with the brushed set up, so he can run it before I make it overpowered and hard to drive. That, or just get the RTR for him at Christmas and carry on with the build I've been planning separate.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:08 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
A roller for $235 with the body or the RTR will be the way I go.

I just bought a brand new RTR Max D for $ 249,- and will sell of all the included electronics. This I suppose will be cheaper then building from the ground up. Except for a brushless motor I already have a brand new Hobbywing WP-SC8 ESC, BEC, 500 oz servo and receiver (for my multimodel remote) lying around.

Going brushless, metal transmission gears will be a required upgrade just like Axial universals. After that I”ll replace / upgrade if / when required (or desired )

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Chris-NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-NL View Post
I just bought a brand new RTR Max D for $ 249,- and will sell of all the included electronics. This I suppose will be cheaper then building from the ground up. Except for a brushless motor I already have a brand new Hobbywing WP-SC8 ESC, BEC, 500 oz servo and receiver (for my multimodel remote) lying around.

Going brushless, metal transmission gears will be a required upgrade just like Axial universals. After that I”ll replace / upgrade if / when required (or desired )

Where did u find a brand new Max D RTR for $249 please? I will get an RTR for sure because I want to let my son run it stock for a while, and also because I want to upgrade parts as they fail once I go brushless. The only parts I have for it now are JCon wheels/tires and a HW Max 8 ESC.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Where did u find a brand new Max D RTR for $249 please? I will get an RTR for sure because I want to let my son run it stock for a while, and also because I want to upgrade parts as they fail once I go brushless. The only parts I have for it now are JCon wheels/tires and a HW Max 8 ESC.

In Austria (I live in Europe)... sale already ended yesterday so now it’s $ 399,- again . I bought mine at www.lindinger.at

Old 07-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:

It’s usually a lot cheaper where you guys live by the way ... I”ll be attending Microsoft Ignite in Orlando by the end of september. Any good RC stores there to buy some quality hopups?

Old 07-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-NL View Post
It’s usually a lot cheaper where you guys live by the way ... I”ll be attending Microsoft Ignite in Orlando by the end of september. Any good RC stores there to buy some quality hopups?

I am from The States, but I live in Mongolia mate. I usually order online from ebay or Amain. I'd get on the Facebook RC Junkies page and ask about RC shops in Orlando before you go.

SMT10 Build Post #1 Literally from the Ground Up - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My slow build of an SMT10. BrokeBob Mega/Monster Trucks 19 11-30-2018 11:03 PM
Strap's SMT10 build strap624 Mega/Monster Trucks 20 07-14-2017 05:20 PM
DNA's SMT10 from the ground up dna4engr Mega/Monster Trucks 39 06-22-2017 07:16 PM
What section do I post ?s about the New Grave Digger SMT10? USA1 Newbie General 1 08-29-2016 03:25 PM